Axe-Fx III in John Petrucci's Rig

Interesting. FM9 into a pair of EVH effects loops is my “normal” setup and it’s stupidly good.
I play around with the 5150 III models in the fm9 and love the green clean and red for lead channels. I just struggle getting a nice in between with that amp. So I may just dedicate a separate amp channel for a different in between amp for some lighter crunch/dirty because I really wanna try that amp in a live setting

Awesome stuff. Not to change topics but I definitely saw a FM9 on Neal Schons pedal board in one of his recent IG posts or stories. I think he’s been using two Evh amps as his back line but I def saw the FM9 on the floor. Cool to see top artists using the tech

Neal's front of house tone is FM9 direct--two outputs, dry and wet, mixed to taste. The EVH heads are the latest in a line of different heads he likes to experiment with running onstage alongside the Meyer full-range monitors that are cranking out FM9 tone. Depending on what FOH wants to hear at a venue, sometimes they'll mix in some EVH through the FM9's loop for spice.

Neal's tone is massive---about the furthest thing from "thin" as you can get.
It cracks me up that anyone could even say that after standing in front of it.

But hey, guys who sell tube amps would obviously have a vested interest in saying it sounds that way...

Go hear it for yourself. They're on tour in stadiums across the land this summer.

Screenshot_20220316-164452.png
From the 11/21 Vegas Residency.
We didn't make any changes for the full tour.

Last edited:
Neal's front of house tone is FM9 direct--two outputs, dry and wet, mixed to taste. The EVH heads are the latest in a line of different heads he likes to experiment with running onstage alongside the Meyer full-range monitors that are cranking out FM9 tone. Depending on what FOH wants to hear at a venue, sometimes they'll mix in some EVH through the FM9's loop for spice.

But hey, guys who sell tube amps would obviously have a vested interest in saying it sounds that way...

Go hear it for yourself. They're on tour in stadiums across the land this summer.

View attachment 98074
That’s awesome thanks for the update. Always been a fan of Neal’s tone. Does he stick to one preset or use multiple?

I've seen Journey twice, once with Steve Perry, and both times their concert sound was amazing! They sounded completely clear, so I have no doubt Neal is still putting out a killer sound. I've been to ~20 arena concerts, and Journey's was THE best (with Pink Floyd a close 2nd.)
Oh, and the 2nd time I saw Journey was at a smaller theater, and it was just as good.

It's funny cause I was watching Tone Talk a couple of weeks back and one guy who sent a super chat in said he saw Journey live recently and said to Dave Friedman can you get Neal Schon to use some of your amps because his sound at the gig sounded terrible and was so thin. Then they started going about how Neal was using the Axe FX and that was probably why it sounded that way!

I thought I'd share this because it just shows you that some people haven't got a clue what they are talking about and were quick to blame the Axe instead of his amps. I don't see how 2 x EVH heads and cabs can sound thin but anyway!
Haha. Yeah I’m not putting any stock in that at all. There’s SLIM chance his tone has been objectively “thin” at any point in decades. And if it actually was at some point I’d guess it’s not the fault of any guitars/amps/cabs that were working as intended. More likely the guy was having an off day in terms of his hearing or was sitting in a particularly bad spot in the venue (likely posssible with sound coming from multiple sources with their possible phase cancellations and such).

John mentioned that he's using the chorus block for 2290 chorus sounds (in the video about his rjm pedalboard).

Which fractal chorus type would that be?

John mentioned that he's using the chorus block for 2290 chorus sounds (in the video about his rjm pedalboard).

Which fractal chorus type would that be?
I don't think any of the types in the Chorus Block are based specifically on the 2290, but I suppose you could use the 2290 in the Delay Block, and use the modulation to get a chorus out of it.
But if you're looking to get a Chorus sound similar to JP's, I'd take a look at how @Cooper Carter set up the Chorus' in the Petrucci Rig factory preset.
He uses the Dimension 1 type, along with the Dual Detune type in the Pitch Block.
Here's some more good info.

Last edited:
No-one bashing JP for using the MFC-101? Also 17 buttons vs 12 (FC-12) unless he used two FC-12's. But I can really understand he's happy with the MFC judging on how he's using the III. If it works, it works.

My mistake, thought it looked like the MFC-101 with the stomp labels :D
No worries, check one out they are awesome! I used to own one and do miss it now and again but I don't use it as as in depth as JP. He's controlling his JP2C via midi, various stompboxes in front of his amp and also the Axe too!

I love that JP mentions he used to use a 2290 just for chorus. A lot of the focus with the Axe-Fx is often on the amp modelling, and rightly so, but it is easy to forget what an absolute monster it is as an fx processor.
I'd love to know his block settings for the 2290 chorus.

View attachment 98075
From the 11/21 Vegas Residency.
We didn't make any changes for the full tour.

Just saw them last night. Neal sounded freaking awesome.

I love that JP mentions he used to use a 2290 just for chorus. A lot of the focus with the Axe-Fx is often on the amp modelling, and rightly so, but it is easy to forget what an absolute monster it is as an fx processor.
A while back you did a video using the 2290 for that no? Maybe it's time to do an update of it in a 5 Min Tones version :)

We used Dimension chorus in the Axe. If you pull up the Petrucci Rig Factory Preset, that has the chorus settings from the latest tour.
Awesome, thanks for the insight Cooper. That’s my main preset, with some tweaks of my own. Excellent job sir.

It's funny cause I was watching Tone Talk a couple of weeks back and one guy who sent a super chat in said he saw Journey live recently and said to Dave Friedman can you get Neal Schon to use some of your amps because his sound at the gig sounded terrible and was so thin. Then they started going about how Neal was using the Axe FX and that was probably why it sounded that way!

I thought I'd share this because it just shows you that some people haven't got a clue what they are talking about and were quick to blame the Axe instead of his amps. I don't see how 2 x EVH heads and cabs can sound thin but anyway!
I watched that too and was a bit bemused. Neal's live sound is massive, particularly his lead sound, and cuts through really well.

I could only chalk it up to Friedman fans blowing smoke up Dave and sheer ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom