Axe-Fx III in John Petrucci's Rig

I think if people are honest with themselves, they could admit that there is a little something about the tube Amp experience with real cabs that isn't replicated.

You can get terribly close and completely usable with something else, and have much more flexibility, reliability, and whatever else but that last couple of percent of the experience is elusive. It's a combination of things.

I know people will feel as strongly against this concept as I feel for it.

The digital Amp sim has many many advantages. I remember a Fractal Audio post where the analogy was made to cameras and I'll attempt to paraphrase-a Canon or nikon or Sony does everything and does it well. A Leica (for example) doesn't do everything but it is magic for some things.
Well it would be great to hear from the pro users what is still missing being specific.. But maybe Cliff and the team already know..

One of the great things about the world today, and this was not nearly as easy to obtain when I was young, is if you want to sound like your heroes, getting the tones and effects is the easy part. Some guys are still elusive of course, but with many, the only thing limiting you is how much you practice.
Wanna play and sound like JP? Focus mostly on your chops. EVH? Same thing.

And ironically, the way I stumbled onto the Axe Fx, was because I wanted to get JP's sounds. I started looking for the same rack effects he mentioned, thinking I'd go that route, but then I learned how far multi-effects processors had come. And then I learned that JP himself was using an Axe III to replace all those units, and my search was over.

I think if people are honest with themselves, they could admit that there is a little something about the tube Amp experience with real cabs that isn't replicated.

Yeah, the savage weight and floor space is the part of the experience thankfully not replicated!

I think the "missing element" is SPL. Running a Fractal at typical tube amp level, whether it be through a PA, extremely loud monitors or a PA/Cab setup renders the "real amp" difference moot IMO.

Yeah, the savage weight and floor space is the part of the experience thankfully not replicated!

I think the "missing element" is SPL. Running a Fractal at typical tube amp level, whether it be through a PA, extremely loud monitors or a PA/Cab setup renders the "real amp" difference moot IMO.

100%. There is no substitute for volume and sonic feedback. Most people don't operate their Fractal anywhere near what they'd usually (have to) run a tube amp. And usually that's a GREAT thing, especially for your hearing! I've always said, if anyone feels like they're missing something, get out of the bedroom or the basement, go buy the soundguy at your best local venue a beer, and plug into his system for a bit :)

Nope.

I'm quite honest with myself, have thought about it many times, and I can honestly say I can take or leave tube amps at this point. The ONLY reason I use my tube combos now is only because they take up less floor space and are faster to set up, and if someone needs to use it they can easily plug in and know what to do, otherwise, sound-wise, and how the modeler reacts on stage, I'm extremely happy with it into my FRFRs.

100%. There is no substitute for volume and sonic feedback. Most people don't operate their Fractal anywhere near what they'd usually (have to) run a tube amp. And usually that's a GREAT thing, especially for your hearing! I've always said, if anyone feels like they're missing something, get out of the bedroom or the basement, go buy the soundguy at your best local venue a beer, and plug into his system for a bit :)
+1000.

The Axe sounds like a pushed power amp without having to actually push a power amp. So most people never push it as loud as they would with a "real" amp, because they don't have to. But just once, get your hands on something that can produce gig-level volumes. Volumes where it feels like you're playing the room itself instead of a guitar. See if you think anything's missing. ;)

Last edited:
Nope.

I'm quite honest with myself, have thought about it many times, and I can honestly say I can take or leave tube amps at this point. The ONLY reason I use my tube combos now is only because they take up less floor space and are faster to set up, and if someone needs to use it they can easily plug in and know what to do, otherwise, sound-wise, and how the modeler reacts on stage, I'm extremely happy with it into my FRFRs.
This. I have no need for a "real" tube amp at this point. The only sonic advantage they offer is decades-old familiarity. After 20+ years of messing with modelers, FRFR is my new "familiar."

Awesome stuff. Not to change topics but I definitely saw a FM9 on Neal Schons pedal board in one of his recent IG posts or stories. I think he’s been using two Evh amps as his back line but I def saw the FM9 on the floor. Cool to see top artists using the tech

This is particularly interesting because I have a few tube amps I’d like to use at the same time. They all have FX loops and I was/am having some difficulty figuring out how I want to set that up. Then it occurred to me that I could use my FM9 to route post effects to all three FX loops. At least I think I can—I haven’t tried it yet.

I haven’t had good experiences with FRFR yet but running the Fractal models through a tube amp’s FX loop adds a little something that I love. Could be just the aesthetic/idea of the amp though.

Awesome stuff. Not to change topics but I definitely saw a FM9 on Neal Schons pedal board in one of his recent IG posts or stories. I think he’s been using two Evh amps as his back line but I def saw the FM9 on the floor. Cool to see top artists using the tech
Interesting. FM9 into a pair of EVH effects loops is my “normal” setup and it’s stupidly good.

Interesting. FM9 into a pair of EVH effects loops is my “normal” setup and it’s stupidly good.
It's funny cause I was watching Tone Talk a couple of weeks back and one guy who sent a super chat in said he saw Journey live recently and said to Dave Friedman can you get Neal Schon to use some of your amps because his sound at the gig sounded terrible and was so thin. Then they started going about how Neal was using the Axe FX and that was probably why it sounded that way!

I thought I'd share this because it just shows you that some people haven't got a clue what they are talking about and were quick to blame the Axe instead of his amps. I don't see how 2 x EVH heads and cabs can sound thin but anyway!

Back
Top Bottom