Axe-Fx III in Australia

The waiting... now that's it's over and I have one... I enjoyed the wait. After I ordered it.. waiting for it to arrive... I bit my nails.. and the day it arrived.. I couldn't play because my nails were raw.

I was keen to get one after some initial reluctance but when i saw the price tag I said "fuck that!!!" I'm not spending $4K on an Axe Fx 3. Simple as that. I don't need it that bad. I'll stick with my Axe Fx 2 happily enough.

They are $2500

If you sold your 2 for $1300... and you bought your 2 for what? $2300 on sale.. I forgot what I paid.
But for figuring...say $2300. You can say a difference of $1000 of purchase and sale price. Would you consider that as loosing $1000? Numbers to numbers there's a difference we can agree. You understand depreciation and time and electronics And how long have you had the 2? I had mine 3 yrs. So for $330 per year I was able to own the axe 2. And I would feel that I didn't lose $330, i got my money's worth out if it.. and I had hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear inside. Also if you sold the 2 for 1300, but the 3 for 2500... wouldn't the 3 only cost you 1200-1500 out of pocket? That seems better than $4k. Wouldn't you own it for say 6 yrs. Would you get your money's worth in value at $250 per year...not counting your resale value of the 3 at that point stepping into what would be the 4. Say you sell the 3 in 6 yrs for $1250. And the math works out to be that you got the 3, and it really only cost you $175 per year? Opinions are opinions, but these numbers and values don't lie.

The 2 is a fine machine. There are similarities in both, so your enjoying the 3 as you enjoy the 2.

The 3... has new fantastic effects, and improvements on existing effects, bunch of new presets. Then new ways to apply them that are not equal to the 2...much better I do say.

A song is a song, weather you hear it on the junk house radio, your old cassette tape, your CD, your MP3...etc. But you would notice quality of sound improvement and enjoy that.

It's like anything... if the technology is there use it. When you love what you hear, you love what you play...more. You play more and you get better when you love what you hear.

Change is difficult and sometimes unnecessary... and do you really need anything more? But you only have a limited time on this planet. Is it about money or is it about quality of time? Don't ever let money get in the way do not doing something or having something you want that is within reach... $200 per yr. $4 a week. Can't even buy a top shelf beer for $4.

Mine came in today and I couldn't be happier, it's a really nice piece of hardware. I have a wedding tomorrow to attend so won't get to play around much more till sunday, but I've started at looking at some other bits and pieces to compliment the setup (monitors, rack mount case etc)

$4k is too much for me too :( I'm enjoying having consistent tone from the lack of firmware updates though lol
My initial thoughts also... I don't chase technology to make my current technology obsolete and have it feel to me like I wasted spending money on technology I already own...in most cases, especially when i am or was i should say perfectly happy with what i had. But, where does one decide to spend their money? I actually play my electric guitar unplugged more than I do into the unit. I enjoy the sound of my guitar as is.

I'm curious in a way... if my first instinct was not to upgrade, what will initial sales be with the 3? Sales should increase as the 2 becomes more and more dated, not including competition or new inovation... which the axe has theoretically factored in as it has the ability to improve. I wouldn't expect a X-mass sale this year. Next year would depend on a few things probably

I've finally had some quality time to spend with the Axe over the weekend.

Very happy with this thing, out of the box it sounds incredible. Spent some time recording, and managed to complete 90% of the song with preset 001 with zero tweaking, and it was damn near perfect. Will finish it up when I'm home this weekend and post it in the recordings section, will put a link to the thread here.

Hello to all Kiwis awaiting AXE FX-3 arriving to New Zealand. I need your friendly advice, based on your past experience with Independent Music. I noticed that the price on their Australian website significantly increased over last few weeks. I am on the waiting list for NZ, but I also received my invite to purchase in US.

I have an address in US, with credit card registered under that address, so I can purchase it right now. The shipping to New Zealand will be US$150, and I will not be paying any tax or fees, as I know how to do that (sorry, I know it is not very fair practice, but it is my protest against overpriced everything in New Zealand)

My questions:
Do you think it's possible Independent Music will be increasing the price they currently have on their NZ website at the time they got Axe Fx 3 available?
Do you think I should purchase axe fx 3 right now from US, paying approx US$2700 (nzd3966), incl shipping cost within US and to NZ?
I will definitely buy it from US in a case they increase NZ price, but is there point to wait?

Of cause, if the price stay the same(NZ$3,799.00) which is reasonable, I would prefer to buy it from NZ for warranty etc.
Please let me know what you think. I never purchased from IM before, all my previous Fractal stuff were purchased from US, and the reason was the NZ unrealistic prices.

Hello to all Kiwis awaiting AXE FX-3 arriving to New Zealand. I need your friendly advice, based on your past experience with Independent Music. I noticed that the price on their Australian website significantly increased over last few weeks. I am on the waiting list for NZ, but I also received my invite to purchase in US.

I have an address in US, with credit card registered under that address, so I can purchase it right now. The shipping to New Zealand will be US$150, and I will not be paying any tax or fees, as I know how to do that (sorry, I know it is not very fair practice, but it is my protest against overpriced everything in New Zealand)

My questions:
Do you think it's possible Independent Music will be increasing the price they currently have on their NZ website at the time they got Axe Fx 3 available?
Do you think I should purchase axe fx 3 right now from US, paying approx US$2700 (nzd3966), incl shipping cost within US and to NZ?
I will definitely buy it from US in a case they increase NZ price, but is there point to wait?

Of cause, if the price stay the same(NZ$3,799.00) which is reasonable, I would prefer to buy it from NZ for warranty etc.
Please let me know what you think. I never purchased from IM before, all my previous Fractal stuff were purchased from US, and the reason was the NZ unrealistic prices.
If they are approved to sell the unit thru Fractal, no I wouldn't expect any mark up on the price. If they are independent and bought 10 units, they could increase the price. That's usually how it would work in the states. They perhaps could bend it a little... selling it at the buy it now price vs the waitlist price.
I would buy it from whoever sells it to you the cheapest. You get a 1 yr warranty from Fractal included. They would be the ones who would handle your repairs or exchange you a new one. If you buy it from NZ... I'm not 100% sure how that arrangement is set up. You would bring it to IM, and they would ship it out, or would you just ship it. You probably don't need a middleman like IM. Don't quote me, but a under warranty return wouldn't cost you shipping?
If you also order a Fractal T Shirt and unit direct. they give you a shirt at a good discount off the list price.
You could inquire with IM about the warranty process to see how they would handle a return vs returning it direct.

Normally I would say just order it from the US but with the amount of issues these new units are having I’d want warranty. But you could probably swing back to your US address and have it done through that. Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

If you can land it without paying GST (not sure how you're able to do that but good luck to you if you can), and are not concerned about having to ship back to US for any warranty issues then by all means buy from USA although at present it'll cost you more than current IM price.
Bare in mind, not paying due taxes is considered smuggling and if caught you could lose the unit and end up paying a fine.

I could also get it from the USA using a US address, but I've decided to wait and buy it from IM. If it goes up a little then so be it. Their price is GST, warranty and shipping included & IM is an Australian outfit so any warranty issues would be dealt with a whole lot faster than having to ship back to USA (which you would have to pay for shipping).

The only reason it may go up in price any more here in NZ would be due to Mr Trumps tariffs.

Clearly there is some inherent risk in buying outside registered local dealer, but if you're happy with that.....then go for it.

Last edited:
Normally I would say just order it from the US but with the amount of issues these new units are having I’d want warranty.

I'm aware of some issues but can you please elaborate on "the amount of issues these new units are having"?

But you could probably swing back to your US address and have it done through that. Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

Er, not quite. US warranty wouldn't cover cost of shipping to & from New Zealand and as you can see from the OP's post, that's US$150....... each way!

Last edited:
If you can land it without paying GST (not sure how you're able to do that but good luck to you if you can), and are not concerned about having to ship back to US for any warranty issues then by all means buy from USA although at present it'll cost you more than current IM price.
Bare in mind, not paying due taxes is considered smuggling and if caught you could lose the unit and end up paying a fine.

I could also get it from the USA using a US address, but I've decided to wait and buy it from IM. If it goes up a little then so be it. Their price is GST, warranty and shipping included & IM is an Australian outfit so any warranty issues would be dealt with a whole lot faster than having to ship back to USA (which you would have to pay for shipping).

The only reason it may go up in price any more here in NZ would be due to Mr Trumps tariffs.

Clearly there is some inherent risk in buying outside registered local dealer, but if you're happy with that.....then go for it.
Maybe an approved dealer, but not an approved repair shop, as they would carry an inventory of spare parts. If you need to have warranty work.. and you bring it to IM.. they will pay for it to be shipped back?

Maybe an approved dealer, but not an approved repair shop, as they would carry an inventory of spare parts. If you need to have warranty work.. and you bring it to IM.. they will pay for it to be shipped back?

Yes, that's the point of buying through a registered dealer.....credibility.

Last edited:
I could have bought it through friends in the US but I decided not to do so.
I’ve done business a couple of times with Andrew from IM and I can say they look after you and there service and customer care is second to none. For me that’s worth the price.
Cheers

I’ve done business a couple of times with Andrew from IM and I can say they look after you and there service and customer care is second to none. For me that’s worth the price.
Cheers
I would love to support Andrew, but I am pretty sure the price on Australian IM was around AU$3850 just a few weeks ago. Now it's AU$4,238.88
If it is kind of "skip the wait list" price, I would understand it. But if it's just a price increase, I would say it's a bit too much.
Now, the price on the NZ IM web site stays unchanged so far. Can I be 100% sure that the price stays the same, or just within the NZD to USD exchange rate changes?

Last edited:
I would love to support Andrew, but I am pretty sure the price on Australian IM was around AU$3850 just a few weeks ago. Now it's AU$4,238.88.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that. Currently $3905, which is a $55 increase and probably in line with changes in exchange rate etc.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that. Currently $3905, which is a $55 increase and probably in line with changes in exchange rate etc.

Not sure, what you mean. Please see the print-screen below. I just took it from the Australian IM website a minute ago:

fractalAus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom