Axe-Fx III in 4CM (4 Cable Method) from FX8

Hi everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on an Axe FX III with a FC-12. I fell in love with the FC-12 (and the scribble strips), the idea of using shorter cables to my amp for signal loss and the power of the III for creating effects. I was sick of guessing which patch I was using on which switch on the FX8 which is why I like the FC-12.
  • Are there any FX8 users who have gone to the III to use in 4cm with an amp?
  • How easy will it be to set up the III in 4cm (vs the FX8)?
  • AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, has anyone experienced tone suck with the III in 4cm with their amp?
I'm very concerned about getting tone suck after reading some threads about the III in 4cm after dropping all this cash... I am already getting some buyers remorse and don't want to return it. I want it to work as I like everything about the idea. I need to set it up but I'm not sure how.

I'm using it with a Diezel VH4 (my favorite amp) and will be changing channels between the 4 channels with MIDI. I can do that, right?

Thank you.

Signed,
A concerned III owner

Shouldn't be any tone suck. I used it with my Mark V for a while until I got a separate power amp. Everything sounded great. Just set it up for unity gain on input/output 3 and you should be good to go. As far as midi I've never used it but I know you can send midi commands from the axe to your amp. I was considering getting an amp Gizmo for my Mark V because it doesn't have midi and I'd like to use it again.

Interested to hear how this turned out. I am an FX8 4CM user that's thinking I'll get an AxeFXIII, ditch the FX8 and keep my analog drives, amp head and cab.

The Axe3, and I believe also the FM3, are the only products on the market that match the FX8 as far as purity of signal (no tone suck)

Dig it! Thanks! That's perfect...I'm thinking main rig is AxeIII in rack with my IEM, and FC12, but if I want to pull the amp out sometimes, it'll be great to make a bank for that so I can just 4cm it and go! Total flexibility!

Y'know I saw the title on this post and thought it was about buying a Axe-III to be used as an "amp" that the FX8 would be plugged in to via 4-cable... Intriguing idea, though maybe not what OP intended. That's a metric crap-ton of FX capability!

Following this. New Axe III owner here, loving it, and live I'd also like to replace the FX8 with the Axe III for the reasons outlined by the OP.

The only downside I see is that the axefx3 doesn't have the relay switching of the fx8 for switching amp channels which is a real shame.
Thats no issue if you have a midi switching amp, or you can buy a suhr micro midi but that's another thing to power in the rack.

So, how did this turn out ? Are you liking the solution of AMP + AXE FXIII with 4CM ? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and replacing my AX8 which I use in 4CM with a Marshall JVM 410HJS

I do like it. I use the Axe-FX III in 5CM with my Diezel VHX in the pre-loop and effects-loop. I was using it in 4CM with my Diezel VH4 before the VHX.

I don't use humbuster cables since I found they sucked some tone. Instead I use Mogami Platinum cables and two Palmer PLI05 line isolator/hum eliminators. It eliminates the ground loop hum and sounds super clean. I control my whole rig with my Mastermind GT16. It works great!

I'd recommend it.

So, how did this turn out ? Are you liking the solution of AMP + AXE FXIII with 4CM ? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and replacing my AX8 which I use in 4CM with a Marshall JVM 410HJS

Yes, I'm using it with a FC12 out front. I have the FM3 back with the amp, so only very short cable runs. I did have to use an EBTech hum eliminator to get it noise free, as it is prone to introducing a ground loop.

Back
Top Bottom