Axe-Fx III hung after 1.09 update: any startup options?

bchulse

Inspired
Installed FW 1.09 update Fri night. Installed ok. Also updated Axe Edit. No problems there
either. Was trying out the new FW for an hour or so, no problems. Today (Sat), practicing for Gig
tonight, everything working fine. Then the Axe controls were completely unresponsive (I was using up
arrow to switch scenes). All controls unresponsive. Shut down and restarted several times.

Now, immediately on Bootup, Screen is blank white, Output meters 1, 3, 4 L/R are all pegged.
Inputs 1-4 & Output 2 have LED's 2&3 randomly lit (all 4 Vol knobs off).
I unplugged everything and rebooted with same result.

I have never seen this before. I've installed tons of FW updates, with an occasional glitch,
but rebooting usually cures things. Does anyone know of a startup key combination to reset things
or force a factory boot? Right now, it's unusable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Held the Home Button and restarted (no good). Then tried Home & Edit buttons. Exact same problem.
Immediate blank white screen.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same happened to me after updating to 1.08, it had to be returned to the factory. Don’t know if it was the update or a general problem.

Press and hold Page < and Page > while powering on. If it boots to the emergency firmware you can reinstall the firmware.

Tried the Page < and Page > and held for a good 15 sec. and it immediately froze with
the same problem (photo attached)

Attachments

• Axe III hang problem .JPG
    Axe III hang problem .JPG
    30 KB · Views: 105
Tried the Page < and Page > and held for a good 15 sec. and it immediately froze with
the same problem (photo attached)
I was just about to upgrade to the 1.09b but considering the result I'll wait until someone from Fractal confirms if your problem is software or hardware related.

I just did the update and everything is fine. I figured Fractal wouldn't leave the update there if there was any worries

Just to reiterate, Installed FW 1.09b and it was working fine for a couple hours.
So it may indeed be a hardware issue. I always install new FW right away, with
my Ultra, 2 MkII and the III as well. Lots of other folks have been using 1.09 without
any problems..

I had a problem with 1.09Beta, it cause excessive noise when I used input 1, but no problems with input 2. I reverted back to 1.07, and all the problems went away. Issues with the Beta seem to be random.

I had a problem with 1.09Beta, it cause excessive noise when I used input 1, but no problems with input 2. I reverted back to 1.07, and all the problems went away. Issues with the Beta seem to be random.
None of the testers have experienced this. You say you went back to 1.07 - have you tried 1.08 which is a full release?

Was the noise on all presets? Did you try adjusting the Input block?

Yea, I was already in contact with tech support. I forgot to check the forum for the 1.08 link, the 1.07 firmware is still what's on the support/downloads page. Input 1, on all presets, even with the Input 1 volume set to 0% still did it. Switching to Input 2 was crystal clear. I'm going to go back up to 1.08 now, and see what happens. If I feel adventurous, I may even try 1.09b again.

I wish I could reload 1.09b or revert to 1.08, but the unit is
completely unresponsive. Waiting to hear back from support.

sorry to hear, but glad it's getting fixed. just a guess, it was most likely not the Firmware since it hasn't caused the issue with testers or other customers.

Back
Top Bottom