Axe-Fx III foot controllers

bettsaj

Ok, I'm really new to modellers etc and am now considering buying an Axe FX III. However i have a few questions before I make the leap. My current rig is quite large, big rack system, stereo with pre-amps, a stereo power amp, stomp boxes and audio switchers etc.. All this is presently being controlled via a Skrydstrup foot controller which I love. Can the Axe FX use any midi foot controller, or do I have to use a Fractal foot controller??

You can control a reasonable amount of things from any ”midi” controller but a lot of the advanced integration options aren’t possible with just a midi controller. The FC6 and FC12 are kinda wired into the spinal column of the AxeFXIII. They are NOT MIDI controllers. They use Faslink2 to communicate. Additional midi commands can be sent out of the AxeFX to control other devices if you were to keep any of the pedals for example (you probably wont. ;-) )

Can the Axe FX use any midi foot controller, or do I have to use a Fractal foot controller??
The short answer is yes, you can use a MIDI controller.

The longer answer is that there are things the FC-12 will do that MIDI cannot, and vice versa. The best choice will likely depend on how you want to switch your settings and how you want the rest of your rig to respond.

Your best bet is to review the manual selection on Remote/MIDI control: https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-3/Axe-Fx-III-Owners-Manual.pdf

You can assign up to 127 CC#s to enable or bypass blocks and select channels within a block. You can also select scenes and presets, and assign controllers to certain parameter values.

How easy is programming with your current board?

It's very easy.... the way it works is you can set it to stomp mode where it sends CC controller messages to turn on/off individual effects on a processor, and also through the audio switcher I use. The foot controller can also be set up in song mode, where you program patches for individual songs. From there you can go into set mode, where you can them program a set list from the song patches... basically then paging through your set with the bank up and down button

The problem you will come to is that you end up doing at least twice the amount of setup for controlling all these things. With the FC6 / 12 you don't really do that as they are so integrated. I just wish the small scribble screens were a bit more visible. Except for that they are exceptional.

Just curious - what things does the Axe-FX controller do that MIDI can't?
If I understand the AFX MIDI support correctly, implementing some functions require getting current state data from the AFX, like the tuner display, amp level increment/decrement, block channel increment, etc. A basic MIDI control sender can't do this.

Some (maybe all?) could be accomplished by issuing a MIDI read command to the AFX, then computing the command values...but that would be a LOT of programming work compared to a basic setting selection, and would require a very sophisticated MIDI controller.

If you want skrydstrup quality, and versatility, along with better display and great support try RJM Gt22 absolutely love mine and i have had the fractal fc, so i could put them back to back. Cant think of a thing the FC12 can do that GT22 couldn't,
i run one 6pin xlr cable that takes power and 2way midi and btw they have great easy editor.

Attachments

• bo.jpg
    bo.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 26
If I understand the AFX MIDI support correctly, implementing some functions require getting current state data from the AFX, like the tuner display, amp level increment/decrement, block channel increment, etc. A basic MIDI control sender can't do this.

Some (maybe all?) could be accomplished by issuing a MIDI read command to the AFX, then computing the command values...but that would be a LOT of programming work compared to a basic setting selection, and would require a very sophisticated MIDI controller.
All that works fine here on my rjm

RJM supports some Axe FX specific functions through MIDI sysex messages, not just garden variety PC and CC messages. Many generic MIDI controllers are not able to support those functions.

Tuner and tempo display, real time FX block status updates, and polling for preset and scene names are a few functions that do not use normal MIDI PC and CC commands.

You'd have to check the capabilities of your particular MIDI controller to see if it supports Axe FX specific commands or has an Axe FX mode or whatever.

The biggest limitation with generic MIDI controllers that use only PC and CC messages is the lack of FX block status syncing. For example, if you have a switch on your controller set to control the drive block bypass state via CC's and you change to a scene that changes the drive block state, your switch will not stay in sync with that change. Say you have your drive block switch set off and you change to a scene that turns the drive block on. Your drive switch will still be in the off state, so when you want to then bypass the drive block manually, the first press of the switch will do nothing because it sends the on message and the block is already on. Only a second press of the switch will then turn it off.

Last edited:
My MX-line will sync with the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, II(XL+), III and FM3.

Syncs Preset name, Scene name, Active Scene, Block On/Off state, Block active channel, Tuner info, Looper, Tempo, ...

With "Easy Setup" in the editor you can set up the MX in just 3 steps.

Different models for different needs. From 5 buttons to 18 buttons.

banner.jpg

More info on www.voes.be

Sorry to hijack this thread... what is the smallest and cheapest midi pedal? Just need 2-4 foot switches, one exp pedal, and to be able to control scenes and the tuner from the pedal

Sorry to hijack this thread... what is the smallest and cheapest midi pedal? Just need 2-4 foot switches, one exp pedal, and to be able to control scenes and the tuner from the pedal
Morningstar MC3 or MC6. Probably not the cheapest, but hard to beat for the price

Just curious - what things does the Axe-FX controller do that MIDI can't?
You can't change Layout or View via midi.

Your switch LEDs and/or mini displays can't "follow" changes made on the device without the controller being "aware" of the Axe Fx midi spec (I know you already know that ;))

You are limited to 127 CCs for control. The FCs don't use midi so don't have this limitation.

On the other hand, things that midi can do that the FCs can't (currently):

Multiple functions assigned to a single switch.

With the exception of using a Control Switch for a shared "toggle" you cannot sign an FC switch to trigger more than 1 action.

As you know, many midi controllers allow multiple midi messages to be triggered by a single switch.

Controllers such as the Gordius have an unlimited number and can even add delays between messages.

Ok, I'm really new to modellers etc and am now considering buying an Axe FX III. However i have a few questions before I make the leap. My current rig is quite large, big rack system, stereo with pre-amps, a stereo power amp, stomp boxes and audio switchers etc.. All this is presently being controlled via a Skrydstrup foot controller which I love. Can the Axe FX use any midi foot controller, or do I have to use a Fractal foot controller??

You will be fine using a voes midi controller. Cheaper, smaller and massive options. You will not miss a thing. Extremely easy to programme too.

Voes MX-5 or MX-6. Cheaper than the Morningstar! More info on www.voes.be

mx5-01.jpg

mx6-03c.jpg

My MX-line will sync with the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, II(XL+), III and FM3.

Syncs Preset name, Scene name, Active Scene, Block On/Off state, Block active channel, Tuner info, Looper, Tempo, ...

With "Easy Setup" in the editor you can set up the MX in just 3 steps.

Different models for different needs. From 5 buttons to 18 buttons.

View attachment 78268

More info on www.voes.be

Ahh, this looks great, well until I realized the editor is Windows only. :(

Back
Top Bottom