Axe-Fx III Flanger?

I'm well aware of that parameter... making it louder is not going to compensate for the effect "signal" strength in the mix.
Side note: the most intense effect any flanger can achieve occurs at 50% mix. Anything beyond that, and the effect is reduced.

Side note: the most intense effect any flanger can achieve occurs at 50% mix. Anything beyond that, and the effect is reduced.

I am aware of that too... but I thank you mentioning it.

I should add, I am long time user of the product line, so I'm very familiar with a lot of the fine tunnings. I have an Ultra, II, II XL and now a III.

A while back they redid the algorithms for the II and the effects have improved significantly. I just feel there is still that one small piece of puzzle still missing. I have no doubt it will eventually get there.

I am aware of that too... but I thank you mentioning it.

I should add, I am long time user of the product line, so I'm very familiar with a lot of the fine tunnings. I have an Ultra, II, II XL and now a III.

A while back they redid the algorithms for the II and the effects have improved significantly. I just feel there is still that one small piece of puzzle still missing. I have no doubt it will eventually get there.
Can you help me understand what you're not hearing but wish you did? Level is level, and mix is mix, so there must be something more to it than that.

That was my exact feeling years ago. I couldn't get enough in the mix.

To me the flanger block on the III has a lot of great qualities and flexibility, my only wish is that the signal strength could be made stronger.

When I A/B it with the almighty MXR 117 or Ibanez FL301 it sounds sonicly close emulation-wise, just not as robust and defined as the pedals. To be clear, this only about strength of the effect signal in the mix, that's it.

When you engage an MXR 117, you know it, it just hits you. I don't get that with flanger block, it just seems a bit lackluster, sometimes I wonder if it's even on.

Again, the emulation aspect is pretty much dead on, I just wish I could bring it up in the mix (yes, obviously I have adjusted mix parameter).

I have a similar experience with the phaser block too, sounds incredible, just wish I could make it hotter in the mix.

Bottomline... while, I will agree with M@ that Flanger on the Axe-Fx III is the best and most flexible flanger you will find... I just wish there was more of it to be had in the mix. =:·)

Just IMHO

On that note, I'm guessing you've probably seen the new EQD Pyramids. Pretty sweet.

i have this pedal. They sent it to me a month ago to demo. Its good!! I havent compared it to the Axe 3’s, but like Matt said, I dont think there’s anything in the pedal that the Axe can’t do. My decision for keeping the pedal is in case I use it in a scenario where I need a pedalboard.

To me the flanger block on the III has a lot of great qualities and flexibility, my only wish is that the signal strength could be made stronger.

When I A/B it with the almighty MXR 117 or Ibanez FL301 it sounds sonicly close emulation-wise, just not as robust and defined as the pedals. To be clear, this only about strength of the effect signal in the mix, that's it.

When you engage an MXR 117, you know it, it just hits you. I don't get that with flanger block, it just seems a bit lackluster, sometimes I wonder if it's even on.

Again, the emulation aspect is pretty much dead on, I just wish I could bring it up in the mix (yes, obviously I have adjusted mix parameter).

I have a similar experience with the phaser block too, sounds incredible, just wish I could make it hotter in the mix.

Bottomline... while, I will agree with M@ that Flanger on the Axe-Fx III is the best and most flexible flanger you will find... I just wish there was more of it to be had in the mix. =:·)

Just IMHO
That seems to be the case for me also ..in my previous post on the Univibe block I was having trouble getting the signal really strong and sweeping like Frank Marino or Uli Roth style. Was experimenting with different locations on the signal chain and mix/level tweaks . Longtime user also... P.S. Great Avatar and signature... I'm in the area also .

I have an original ADA Flanger that I always loved, and when I first got an Axe FXII years ago one of the first things I did was try and dial in the flanger to duplicate the ADA Flanger. I went back and forth with an A/B box and dialed it in. It took a while because I was new to the Axe FX, but I was able to get very very close. I tried out the factory settings of the different Flangers in the Axe FXIII and they sounded very good to me.

I have a modded ADA flanger and really dug the Airplane Flanger that PG did. Really easy to do.....

Here it is on the II

and a new one-block version of Dweezil's Dynaflanger. @austinbuddy may want to share with you a clone I made for him of his Electric Mistress. It was dead nuts to my ear.

Now that would be really nice! I have never managed to get a decent Frank Zappa Dynaflange sound out of the Axe fx. Also the old Electric Mistress sound I didn't nail fully. Nor have I seen anyone else do. Very curious what you come up with!

I’d love to hear an authentic mistress tone

I’ve come pretty close, close enough to sell my ElecLady flanger, but it stilll had that little bit extra lushness that was hard to dial in.

I like not needing extra hardware pedals whenever possible, not messing with send and return blocks, etc, but sometimes the hardware pedal just has “that” sound

...sometimes the hardware pedal just has “that” sound

This has been my experience with the Univibe in the AxeII and AX8. I have not looked it it in the III yet, but I would love to see FAS add a dedicated Univibe block as some point and give it the full attention it deserves.

Maybe I’ll post a wish list item for a dedicated Univibe block.

Yes, I enjoyed your demo, along with many others. Glad to hear that the Axe FX III compares well. I just need to get my electric rig set up again, finally. Moved to a new house, then moved my office, which I had never fully set up in the first place...

i have this pedal. They sent it to me a month ago to demo. Its good!! I havent compared it to the Axe 3’s, but like Matt said, I dont think there’s anything in the pedal that the Axe can’t do. My decision for keeping the pedal is in case I use it in a scenario where I need a pedalboard.

With Matt and Austin's permissions, here are the Electric Mistress blocks created by Matt as well as an Axe FX III preset I made which matches those settings on Channels A, B and C of a single Flanger block.

You can thank them!

Attachments

• Andy's Mistress.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Mistress Andy_20160702_154535.blk
    235 bytes · Views: 87
  • Mistress Super Stereo_20160702_152310.blk
    243 bytes · Views: 75
  • Mistress_20160702_151756.blk
    230 bytes · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom