Axe-Fx III Flanger?

The effects sound very good to me. Only the univibe seems to have changed a little for the worse, but everything else I have tried sounds better. It may be from having all the extra CPU. Reverbs, delays, pitch block all seem better. I noticed it right away. You'll love channels also.

The effects sound very good to me. Only the univibe seems to have changed a little for the worse, but everything else I have tried sounds better. It may be from having all the extra CPU. Reverbs, delays, pitch block all seem better. I noticed it right away. You'll love channels also.
Funny you should mention the Univibe... I was trying different block locations in the chain to achieve the most dramatic effect and have been struggling . Thought it was just me. Really would like to get this working right.. hopefully someone with greater knowledge than me can shed some light :)

In my personal opinion, the Flanger on the Axe-Fx III is the best and most flexible flanger you will find. This is especially true when you imagine a preset with other blocks combined (and also allowing for the use of the resonator, an ultra-short time flanger of sorts.)

I love Earthquaker pedals. Those guys and Pigtronix truly grok my inner FX guru/junkie, but in my quick listen I don't hear anything there that I haven't done or can't do. In fact, because of its semi-modular architecture and modifier system, the Fractal flanger has some very unique and special tricks up its sleeve. For example, I was recently asked by an artist to dial in a melodic scalar flanger sequence. The results are pretty great. I'll see about migrating it to the Axe-Fx III. I've also recently done a sitar-like tracking resonance flanger, an ADSR touch flanger (http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6248) and a new one-block version of Dweezil's Dynaflanger. @austinbuddy may want to share with you a clone I made for him of his Electric Mistress. It was dead nuts to my ear. I've also cloned the very unique flanger in the Korg A3, the legendary Loft, and my favorite old purple Boss pedal.

I make and break "demo clip" promises too frequently, but I'll see about putting something together for you.

In my personal opinion, the Flanger on the Axe-Fx III is the best and most flexible flanger you will find. This is especially true when you imagine a preset with other blocks combined (and also allowing for the use of the resonator, an ultra-short time flanger of sorts.)

I love Earthquaker pedals. Those guys and Pigtronix truly grok my inner FX guru/junkie, but in my quick listen I don't hear anything there that I haven't done or can't do. In fact, because of its semi-modular architecture and modifier system, the Fractal flanger has some very unique and special tricks up its sleeve. For example, I was recently asked by an artist to dial in a melodic scalar flanger sequence. The results are pretty great. I'll see about migrating it to the Axe-Fx III. I've also recently done a sitar-like tracking resonance flanger, an ADSR touch flanger (http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6248) and a new one-block version of Dweezil's Dynaflanger. @austinbuddy may want to share with you a clone I made for him of his Electric Mistress. It was dead nuts to my ear. I've also cloned the very unique flanger in the Korg A3, the legendary Loft, and my favorite old purple Boss pedal.

I make and break "demo clip" promises too frequently, but I'll see about putting something together for you.
Sounds like good stuff! Is the electric mistress clone a single block? I would love to get my hands on that.

The one block I have the biggest trouble with dialing in in my AXE-FX II (and AX8) is the flanger. Is it much different in the III?

I have an original ADA Flanger that I always loved, and when I first got an Axe FXII years ago one of the first things I did was try and dial in the flanger to duplicate the ADA Flanger. I went back and forth with an A/B box and dialed it in. It took a while because I was new to the Axe FX, but I was able to get very very close. I tried out the factory settings of the different Flangers in the Axe FXIII and they sounded very good to me.

I have an original ADA Flanger that I always loved, and when I first got an Axe FXII years ago one of the first things I did was try and dial in the flanger to duplicate the ADA Flanger. I went back and forth with an A/B box and dialed it in. It took a while because I was new to the Axe FX, but I was able to get very very close. I tried out the factory settings of the different Flangers in the Axe FXIII and they sounded very good to me.

I also have an original ADA flanger and I think it's the best flanger I've heard. I tried in the axe fx 2 to dial in something similar and wasn't very successful. I know it can probably be done but dialing in the flanger was very difficult.

To me the flanger block on the III has a lot of great qualities and flexibility, my only wish is that the signal strength could be made stronger.

When I A/B it with the almighty MXR 117 or Ibanez FL301 it sounds sonicly close emulation-wise, just not as robust and defined as the pedals. To be clear, this only about strength of the effect signal in the mix, that's it.

When you engage an MXR 117, you know it, it just hits you. I don't get that with flanger block, it just seems a bit lackluster, sometimes I wonder if it's even on.

Again, the emulation aspect is pretty much dead on, I just wish I could bring it up in the mix (yes, obviously I have adjusted mix parameter).

I have a similar experience with the phaser block too, sounds incredible, just wish I could make it hotter in the mix.

Bottomline... while, I will agree with M@ that Flanger on the Axe-Fx III is the best and most flexible flanger you will find... I just wish there was more of it to be had in the mix. =:·)

Just IMHO

To me the flanger block on the III has a lot of great qualities and flexibility, my only wish is that the signal strength could be made stronger.
There’s a Level parameter in the Flanger block. ;)

I also have an original ADA flanger and I think it's the best flanger I've heard. I tried in the axe fx 2 to dial in something similar and wasn't very successful. I know it can probably be done but dialing in the flanger was very difficult.

The ADA is my favorite flanger also. I also have the original ADA pedal that you can use to manually control the flanger. I was never able to duplicate how that worked exactly on the Axe FXII.

I'll probably be breaking out the ADA and trying to dial it in on the Axe FXIII soon, but I am happy with the Flangers in the Axe FXIII.

Back
Top Bottom