Axe-Fx III flakiness as an interface

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I've been using the axe-fx 3 as my main computer interface for a few weeks now. For some reason, 6+ times computer audio playback has stopped and I have needed to reboot the axe-fx to get it working again. Anyone else experiencing issues or have any insight? There haven't been any apparent failures of the unit itself, and the device doesn't disappear from my OS (Mac OS), but playback ceases.

It happened playing music via web and google music apps. It hasn’t happened when I’ve used Logic Pro x, not to say it won’t. Also running axe-edit.

I had that issue with my Windows 7 laptop. After a while it wouldn't stay connected for more than 10 or 15 minutes after a while. I tried all sorts of things, uninstalling, reinstalling etc.. Finally I had to switch to a different port finally and that took care of it.

Seems a bit harsh to call it flaky, it's usually something unrelated to the Axe once all is said and done.
BTW, No issues here with Spotify, Windows Media Player, iTunes or YouTube running Windows 10.

Seems a bit harsh to call it flaky, it's usually something unrelated to the Axe once all is said and done.
BTW, No issues here with Spotify, Windows Media Player, iTunes or YouTube running Windows 10.

Ok, my Mac is exhibiting flaky behavior using the axe 3 as an interface. Short term workaround is to revert to my Scarlett interface, which hasn't suffered from my Mac's unreliability. Better?

I had that issue with my Windows 7 laptop. After a while it wouldn't stay connected for more than 10 or 15 minutes after a while. I tried all sorts of things, uninstalling, reinstalling etc.. Finally I had to switch to a different port finally and that took care of it.

Do you mean to another physical port on your laptop?

I'll try that. It didn't occur to me since the device still showed up as available and was selected.

Definitely worth a shot. In a lot of cases it ends up being the cable, but there are some (very few) exceptions and Fractal are very good at sorting that out for you.

I’ve been using my Axe3 as an interface for a fee months now with MacBook Pro and it has been very stable.

Not saying the following point has been the problem for you, but my advice for stability is to not upgrade to the latest Mac OS for a few months until after it has been released. Different vendors get different results with new OS releases and sometimes Apple (or the vendor) take time to fix any issues. There could be an OS issue that stops one interface working but leaves the others alone.

Hearing the feedback in this thread is interesting. I use my Axe to listen to music/YouTube through my monitors all the time. The only issue I've ever had with it has been connecting it/keeping it connected to FractalBot for backups/updates.

Eventually you could try to raise the buffer setting, I've had a similar problem with my interface and that usually solves the issue

Eventually you could try to raise the buffer setting, I've had a similar problem with my interface and that usually solves the issue

USB buffer setting, under IO? Mine is set to 256, what is recommended?
Thanks for the info! I'll keep this setting mind if the firmware and/or cable doesn't fix.

USB buffer setting, under IO? Mine is set to 256, what is recommended?
Thanks for the info! I'll keep this setting mind if the firmware and/or cable doesn't fix.

256 is the safe value. Lower if you need lower latency (like if you are playing virtual instruments over the Axe-Fx III interface).

Back
Top Bottom