Axe-Fx III - First Impressions

Build an IR from the kemper rig you were using? I guess it’s kind of hard for you to answer which one you think sounds better since you’re really just going after one specific sound? With the Kemper, what were the bad experiences in performance use?
Sorry - I wasn't being clear.

My main rig for the past decade or so has been a Bogner XTC, run either into a 4x12 1960A or a Torpedo Live that I have tuned to sound very much like my cabinet.

When I tried the Kemper about a year ago, I profiled the Bogner rig for stage use, along with some other purchased profiles specifically for the run of shows where I used the KPA. It sounded great, but the delay in switching between Performance pages caused me a lot of trouble.

What I did with the Axe-FX was to create an IR of the Torpedo Live. It's a bit hokey, but it worked remarkably well.

So far, I would say that I really like them both from a standpoint of overall sound quality. Fractal has the clear edge in terms of FX quality and flexibility - Kemper is not even close. Axe-FX III also has more I/O capacity, which matters if you want to use other instruments (acoustic/12-string, for example).

Kemper makes it really easy to duplicate an existing sound, though; if that's your goal and you will never need more than 5 presets at a time, it can do a great job.

If cost and size were no object, I'd put one of each into a rack and wire the KPA into one of the AFX loops. The Kemper would sound great with Fractal FX, and when you want to create a sound that can't be profiled, the Axe-FX will do it.

Last edited:
Sorry - I wasn't being clear.

My main rig for the past decade or so has been a Bogner XTC, run either into a 4x12 1960A or a Torpedo Live that I have tuned to sound very much like my cabinet.

When I tried the Kemper about a year ago, I profiled the Bogner rig for stage use, along with some other purchased profiles specifically for the run of shows where I used the KPA. It sounded great, but the delay in switching between Performance pages caused me a lot of trouble.

What I did with the Axe-FX was to create an IR of the Torpedo Live. It's a bit hokey, but it worked remarkably well.

So far, I would say that I really like them both from a standpoint of overall sound quality. Fractal has the clear edge in terms of FX quality and flexibility - Kemper is not even close. Axe-FX III also has more I/O capacity, which matters if you want to use other instruments (acoustic/12-string, for example).

Kemper makes it really easy to duplicate an existing sound, though; if that's your goal and you will never need more than 5 presets at a time, It can do a great job.

If cost and size were no object, I'd put one of each into a rack and wire the KPA into one of the AFX loops. The Kemper would sound great with Fractal FX, and when you want to create a sound that can't be profiled, the Axe-FX will do it.
I keep hearing that Fractal is the clear winner in the FX department, but what exactly does that mean? More options, and they just sound better?

I keep hearing that Fractal is the clear winner in the FX department, but what exactly does that mean? More options, and they just sound better?
Yes, a LOT more options.

There are more types of effects.
You can select mutiples of each.
Within each are selectable channels that can carry preset values and types.
Each individual FX block can be put in any order you like, series, parallel, etc.
Multiplexer blocks allow selection of complex chains and configurations.

Kemper is sufficient to replace a few pedals or a simple MultiFx, and they sound good. Axe FX is much, much more, and allows a tremendous level of creativity.

Last edited:
Yes, a LOT more options.

There are more types of effects.
You can select mutiples of each.
Within each are selectable channels that can carry preset values and types.
Each individual FX block can be put in any order you like, series, parallel, etc.
Multiplexer blocks allow selection of complex chains and configurations.

Kemper is sufficient to replace a few pedals or a simple MultiFx, and they sound good. Axe FX is much, much more, and allows a trememdous level of creativity.
ahh okay yeah i don't think id have AS MUCH on the FM3 but from what ive heard, i think id like the sounds better and i think modeling would be better for me because it's more along the lines of starting from scratch as opposed to starting with a specific profile

ahh okay yeah i don't think id have AS MUCH on the FM3 but from what ive heard, i think id like the sounds better and i think modeling would be better for me because it's more along the lines of starting from scratch as opposed to starting with a specific profile
Right.

I wouldn't try to tell you which to buy, because they really are different animals. I will say that as much as I really, really like the sound and feel of Kemper, I ended up with the Axe-FX III for the faster response and incredible versatility.

Be careful underestimating the FM3. It can't handle as complex a preset as the AF3, but it's not intended to. Within a few constraints it's on par with the AF3 sound wise. I have them both and patches I put together on the FM3 sound the same on the bigger unit. If you're in need of something compact you can't beat the FM3. If you are doing high-end recording or absolutely MUST have two amps or the bigger CPUs, then the AF3 is the solution.

I prefer modeling over profiling. Fractal's modeling code is so responsive and flexible, it's truly like a digital version of the analog devices. They're driving the world of modeling and making so many of us consider selling our tube amps, not just cheap tube amps, but high-end boutique amps. I NEVER thought I'd be there.

Right.

I wouldn't try to tell you which to buy, because they really are different animals. I will say that as much as I really, really like the sound and feel of Kemper, I ended up with the Axe-FX III for the faster response and incredible versatility.
Sorry for the confusion mate, I do already own the kemper stage, but want to get the FM3 to compare and sell whichever I like less. I think I would enjoy modeling better since it seems more of a ground up approach and the EQ behaves more like an actual amp EQ vs finding specific profiles/snapshots of an amp. So I guess im saying (and correct me if im wrong) that I would rather select Friedman model and set it to whatever I like vs. find a friedman profile that's been profiled at specific eq and then I cant really change that

Be careful underestimating the FM3. It can't handle as complex a preset as the AF3, but it's not intended to. Within a few constraints it's on par with the AF3 sound wise. I have them both and patches I put together on the FM3 sound the same on the bigger unit. If you're in need of something compact you can't beat the FM3. If you are doing high-end recording or absolutely MUST have two amps or the bigger CPUs, then the AF3 is the solution.

I prefer modeling over profiling. Fractal's modeling code is so responsive and flexible, it's truly like a digital version of the analog devices. They're driving the world of modeling and making so many of us consider selling our tube amps, not just cheap tube amps, but high-end boutique amps. I NEVER thought I'd be there.
Yeah I hear ya. I generally dont do anything crazy. Amp, EQ, delay, reverb, overdrive, maybe a chorus/flanger/phaser, but given fractal has better FX abilities I would def try some new things

Back
Top Bottom