Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 9.01

@FractalAudio noticed that the volume change when adjusting Transformer Match (and the other 2 parameters) isn't as drastic. I like this change as it is easier to audition/hear the changes in the three parameters.

Is this due to an instability fix or a different normalization scheme (or both)?
That change happened a few firmwares ago.

That change happened a few firmwares ago.

Maybe you're right, tho it seemed to go back and forth with different FWs as I have several presets with low transformer match that I have had to keep adjusting. It seemed like 9.01 bumped the volume up again for low values but I haven't done a direct A/B with 9 or 8.

Maybe you're right, tho it seemed to go back and forth with different FWs as I have several presets with low transformer match that I have had to keep adjusting. It seemed like 9.01 bumped the volume up again for low values but I haven't done a direct A/B with 9 or 8.

See firmware release notes for firmware Ares 7.0.

The gain enhancer is awesome !
On higain sounds it really adds this quite uncontrolable noise you get onreal amps (which is, i must admit, the thing i hate on real amps ^^)
So it's very positive in the way it's more realistic and optional

Last edited:
Hmmmm...... overall stock presets I use seem to have too much gain and bass, i.e. Bassman 59.
Not digging this update. I was at 8.

I think this is an amazing update - I've run through 75% of my presets this morning (I don't use any factory ones).

The new Gain Enhancer is a complete game changer for me - I'm running it between 2 and 4.2 across all scenes/presets.

I thought it was good before, but this has really made a massive difference to how the guitar feels - I'm at home volumes, but even cranking it very loud for home use sounds amazing.

Jaw is on the floor - thank you, especially impressed with how my Marshall (Plexi, JCM800, Jubilee) amps feel now

Fantastic... it seems to add this little dirt to the sound, that make it comes alive, even more realistic.
Little settings to all my patchs... around 0.5 seems perfect to me.
Thanks a lot for the update.

Hmmmm...... overall stock presets I use seem to have too much gain and bass, i.e. Bassman 59.
Not digging this update. I was at 8.
I use several slightly modified (mostly EQ and gain) presets and have no issues with too much gain and bass, Have you tried resetting the amp blocks?

Hmmmm...... overall stock presets I use seem to have too much gain and bass

Firmware 9.0 introduced a new power amp modeling algorithm, and presets often need to be re-tweaked after an update to the amp modeling. Have you tweaked them since updating?

I use several slightly modified (mostly EQ and gain) presets and have no issues with too much gain and bass, Have you tried resetting the amp blocks?
I can try that, but I didn't think we had to do that after firmware updates anymore. It just seemed like all the patches with any gain are overcooked. I use all paf type pickups.

Firmware 9.0 introduced a new power amp modeling algorithm, and presets often need to be re-tweaked after an update to the amp modeling. Have you tweaked them since updating?

Another good and logical suggestion. I'm just not a big tweaker. Always have been kind of plug and play. I am impressed with Austin Buddy's presets and that's about as far as I get in terms of deviating from stock stuff.
I will try resetting the amp blocks and doing a little tweaking tonight. Thanks.

I can try that, but I didn't think we had to do that after firmware updates anymore. It just seemed like all the patches with any gain are overcooked. I use all paf type pickups.
I noticed more gain on the 59 Bassman & the 50 watt Plexi for sure. You don't "have to" reset the amp blocks to get the new default settings to load but I have found it beneficial on a number of presets just to get a fresh take on them or maybe clear out some "gunk" from old presets, many that were converted from the II. I did end up having to drop the input trim even more on the 59 & Plexi to get to where I was but I think it does sound & feel better.

Back
Top Bottom