Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 7.00

Is there something up with the USA Lead models? Input gain controls feel funky, i remember a mark IV being similar in input gain to a studio preamp, i could have the input at 3 and the overdrive up at 7 with treble cranked and it would be screaming...the input drive (first knob) seems to be really weak right now on USA Lead, you have to crank it way up high to get it to do anything, and it sounds off when you do crank it up

Is there something up with the USA Lead models? Input gain controls feel funky, i remember a mark IV being similar in input gain to a studio preamp, i could have the input at 3 and the overdrive up at 7 with treble cranked and it would be screaming...the input drive (first knob) seems to be really weak right now on USA Lead, you have to crank it way up high to get it to do anything, and it sounds off when you do crank it up

I use the USA Lead a lot for my gigs. Currently have Input Drive on 6.86 and it's working great for me. Is 6.86 what you mean by "way up high"? I haven't changed the setting for many firmware versions.

Thank you very much! Question, when I do an update, do I have to download to my harddrive/documents manually then use the Fractal Bot? Or, can I just open the Fractal Bot first, (after connecting USB) in other words will the FB do all the work for me and I just hit the buttons when prompted? Thanks much :)

Thank you very much! Question, when I do an update, do I have to download to my harddrive/documents manually then use the Fractal Bot? Or, can I just open the Fractal Bot first, (after connecting USB) in other words will the FB do all the work for me and I just hit the buttons when prompted? Thanks much :)
I always download the file and unzip it, then point FB at the file.

You can do it all through FractalBot. It's super easy... but one difference, if you do it that way, it won't store the file on your hard drive... meaning that you can't reference it later if you need to unless you go download it.

Is 6.86 what you mean by "way up high

yeah, that's where it just starts to break up. I remember before with input drive only on 3 or so, if you dimed the overdrive, it would still scream, but super light feeling, brittle, chimey treble peaking breakup...right now if you have the input drive on anything less than 5, overdrive doesn't hardly do anything at all, even maxed.

por ejemplo...with these settings on Traixis, it's already screamin...on the Mark IV right now with these settings, it's basically off. It sounds like an input level or pot taper issue, if you boost the front end on the Mark IV 12dB or so, it sounds mo normal...

USA Pre Lead 2 Green drive.png

Last edited:
There have been no changes to those models. I double-checked this morning and they sound great. In fact I got lost playing for about 30 minutes. I had the Input Drive around noon. Great touch sensitivity. I could go from clean to mean with just the volume knob.

I too am having some "problems" with the USA Lead as well as. The USA IIC++ is sounding a bit odd to me as well. I used the USA JP IIC+ Red for comparison as it sounded most like I remember when it was added.
Here's a recording and the preset used. For the recording, the Looper was used to record a simple line then the amp channels were cycled through.
Each amp was run through the same cab, Factory 2 #866 (YA Recto), and each channel was Reset to default (Block>Reset Channel). The only adjustment was in the Level to attempt to match volumes between the amps.

First amp, Channel C, is the Herbie Ch3 - Similar to what I expected of the USA Lead, similar gain structure to clips on Youtube of the USA Lead model.
Second amp, Channel D, is the USA Lead - No real drive to speak of.
Third amp, Channel A, is the USA IIC++ - A bit more drive but not as remembered or expected.
Fourth amp, Channel B, is the USA JP IIC+ Red - Sounds similar to what I remember when it was first added.

EDIT: Guitar used is an Ibanez RGDIR6M with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs

Attachments

• USA Lead Test 8-2019.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I too am having some "problems" with the USA Lead as well as. The USA IIC++ is sounding a bit odd to me as well. I used the USA JP IIC+ Red for comparison as it sounded most like I remember when it was added.
Here's a recording and the preset used. For the recording, the Looper was used to record a simple line then the amp channels were cycled through.
Each amp was run through the same cab, Factory 2 #866 (YA Recto), and each channel was Reset to default (Block>Reset Channel). The only adjustment was in the Level to attempt to match volumes between the amps.

First amp, Channel C, is the Herbie Ch3 - Similar to what I expected of the USA Lead, similar gain structure to clips on Youtube of the USA Lead model.
Second amp, Channel D, is the USA Lead - No real drive to speak of.
Third amp, Channel A, is the USA IIC++ - A bit more drive but not as remembered or expected.
Fourth amp, Channel B, is the USA JP IIC+ Red - Sounds similar to what I remember when it was first added.

EDIT: Guitar used is an Ibanez RGDIR6M with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs

Tried resetting the Input block?

Tried resetting the Input block?
If all of the channels/amps exhibited a similar behavior, it would stand to reason it could be a potential solution. Just tried it anyway to be sure but there was no change in any of the amp channels. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Would be curious if anyone has a different result than the tones in the test clip using the preset, without adjusting any of the parameters of course.

Possible corrupt preset? can you try with a fresh preset? i dont think i read you tried that. just fishing...
Just created it today. Tried the USA Lead in a couple of other presets before with the same result. Saw the issue someone else was having and thought I'd record what I'm hearing on my Axe.

If all of the channels/amps exhibited a similar behavior, it would stand to reason it could be a potential solution. Just tried it anyway to be sure but there was no change in any of the amp channels. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I ask because the preset had a Global Link. Anyway, this is a sample using your preset with a different cab:

I appreciate the attempts to help "fix" the preset but the recording was to show a possible issue with the USA Lead and appears to be similar to what @shatteredsquare is experiencing. The specific tone in question begins at the 9 second mark of the clip. It's the USA Lead model with the default settings: Input Drive and Overdrive at 5.0, Master at 5.0 and yes, the Power Amp sim is on in the Amp block. Comparing the parameters from the USA Lead to the Herbie Ch3, there isn't any obvious discrepancies that could cause the loss of high end, exaggerated low end and lack of drive.

Back
Top Bottom