Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 6.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never had trouble with a beta before and I’m glad they release them. But it’s one thing for a beta to introduce a few bugs and it’s another to be bricking machines. Once it’s been established that it’s bricking machines it’s the right thing to pull it down.
But the "bricking" is recoverable. You can get your Axe back in service.

Last edited:
It's a BETA. It's for trying out and identifying problems. That's the point.

It sounds like you might be better off sticking to the major releases.

I always read the thread to see if people had issues with the beta releases. Write

I’ve never had trouble with a beta before and I’m glad they release them. But it’s one thing for a beta to introduce a few bugs and it’s another to be bricking machines. Once it’s been established that it’s bricking machines it’s the right thing to pull it down.

In my book "bricking" does not include something that can easily be recovered through software reset/upgrade/rollback. It's more of an hardware issue that if often unrecoverable. What we seem to have here are some cases of failed firmware installation with users that are now all apparently back to working conditions bu rolling back to the previous firmware.

It would be one thing if it were bricking machines, thankfully not a single machine has actually been bricked.

I also got bricked however how it happened was odd and may help Cliff and Co squash the bug ?

I updated normally and everything went without a hitch. Booted up into 6b, installed beta Axe-Edit and everything was perfect. Played for quite a while and enjoyed the heck out of it. Powered down the unit and went about my evening.

Powered on the unit a few hours later and bricked the same as people have described here. Did the emergency power on procedure to enable an emergency loader for fw (first time I’ve ever had to do that or even saw it) and reverted it’s no issue back to 5.09.

As always I’m positive FAS well get it all sorted out - as they always do.

Figured it's worth reporting just in case, but I installed FW6, saw people were having issues and went back to 5.9, but now outs 3 and 4 seem to have failed. No signal is reaching them and the spillover control in global settings seems to have messed up. It's showing the below (forgive the iPhone shot)Front Panel 2.jpg

But the "bricking" is a recoverable. You can get your Axe back in service.
In my book "bricking" does not include something that can easily be recovered through software reset/upgrade/rollback. It's more of an hardware issue that if often unrecoverable. What we seem to have here are some cases of failed firmware installation with users that are now all apparently back to working conditions bu rolling back to the previous firmware.
It would be one thing if it were bricking machines, thankfully not a single machine has actually been bricked.

It may be recoverable but it’s been established that it has major, major bugs which may take many by surprise if they don’t read the thread first and will be at best a major PITA. What’s the point of leaving it up? Fix it and then re-release.

It's a BETA. It's for trying out and identifying problems. That's the point.

It sounds like you might be better off sticking to the major releases.

I fully understand what "beta" means.

I install almost all the betas. Skipped this one when I saw it was bricking machines.

As a Fractal user since the early days of the first generation Ultra, FAS has always taken betas down on the rare occasion where there is a problem that causes machines or crash. I was surprised that this one was still up after several reports of "bricked" machines. That's all.

At any rate, it's a mute point as I see that FAS has removed the link for the download. Carry on...

“Bricked” means permanently and irreversibly disabled.

The device can be recovered and returned to a working condition, therefore 6.0b is not bricking devices.

If you do not like the possibility of your device being render temporarily unusable, do not install betas.

I don't even understand what your point is. I'm not saying they shouldn't post betas or that people shouldn't load them. Only that once it's been established that a particular beta is buggy enough that it's actually disabling machines (recoverable or not) it should be taken down.

I don't even understand what your point is. I'm not saying they shouldn't post betas or that people shouldn't load them. Only that once it's been established that a particular beta is buggy enough that it's actually disabling machines (recoverable or not) it should be taken down.
It’s Saturday. Everyone wants a life outside work. Even Cliff and crew. Maybe ease up a bit? Go outside? Play your guitar?

If the negative effects of a beta can be reversed (e.g. by reverting to an earlier firmware) and the issue does not impact a majority of the users then there is no reason to suspend the beta.

Affected users are then excluded from participation in the beta until a new build is generated.

If that as a general rule of engagement is disagreeable to you, you should not participate in betas by installing beta software.

That is how betas work.

Also the use of the term “brick” was inaccurate.

Last edited:
Heck, if anything, this can be a good way to teach people how to use the recovery ability which was built into the III. Now end user can solve many issues which previously would of required support. Useful tool, and good people know how to use it if needed.

It’s Saturday. Everyone wants a life outside work. Even Cliff and crew. Maybe ease up a bit? Go outside? Play your guitar?

I’m not doggimg Cliff and crew at all. I’m saying it should have been taken down and it was. They did the right thing. Responding to other people who seem to think that’s a problem. Not me. (And yes was outside for hours and played my guitar for another two, thanks very much).

Heck, if anything, this can be a good way to teach people how to use the recovery ability which was built into the III. Now end user can solve many issues which previously would of required support. Useful tool, and good people know how to use it if needed.

Exactly. I never knew how do use the recovery tool or even how to access it until last night.

Agree with Capt Nasty: this is not a "brick" situation; it's a temporary reversible condition.

Cliff and Team likely took the beta down due to all the negative comments. Easier to do that, than listen to all the complaints.

Forcing them to take it down really defeats the purpose of releasing a beta, so the software/firmware can be trial-used in thousands of diverse operating systems and setups. Sure, sometimes a beta doesn't work for everyone...if you're one of those folks, simply roll back, report your findings, and continue playing. The whole point of "beta" releases is to try them out, see where we're at with the different users, and repair the misc. bugs that pop up. It is CLEARLY labeled a beta version; if you don't wish to participate, which could have good or bad consequences, then please don't. No biggie. Just wait for the final release, and hopefully, by then, most of the bugs will have been solved, all will be wonderful.

It should be OUR responsibility, if we load a beta, to understand that there may be a greater risk that it will have a few bugs. If you come across these, report them, and either keep using that version, or roll back.

I for one, am grateful for the crew for sharing their efforts, and letting us participate in "wish" lists, and beta early releases. Not many companies are so open and transparent in what they're offering. ;)

I'm also thankful for all the beta-testers who installed the software, and reported concerns, if any. That's what it's all about, and helps us get a more useful end-product.

Looking forward to 6.0 beta2 or beta3 or whichever version/beta combo is next.

The currently-removed beta is working fine here, so I will remain on this stage until the next arrives. :)

I am glad the "reset" trick was highlighted up-thread, though, in case a problem does crop up later. :)

If you install a beta version of Mac O's or Windows you assume the same risk... Do it knowing you can reverse or be safe and wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom