Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.08

Loving the filters for individual IRs and also the addition of 18dB and 24dB slopes.
Thanks Cliff!

Anyway, since it's not mentioned in the release notes I'll add a reminder for those that might notice a slightly different behaviour between the individual filters and the main ones in the preamp page:

In cab block's internal chain the filters for individual cabs are placed before the preamp simulation, the main hi and low cuts are placed after.
You'll hear the difference if you crank the drive in the preamp.

Last edited:
Love this continuous addition of cool stuff, everyday happier of having made the initial investment.

Another thing I love about it is being able to tailor the IR’s to the amp model. For instance, grabbing two or three mics that have the general tonality you’re looking for and tweaking them to fit the amp model. Say you’re using a darker model like the BE C45. You can clean up the low end on ribbon and condenser mics while leaving the top end open and it sounds great. Copy the same IR’s to another channel and use with an amp with tighter low end and a brighter top like a Mark IV. Bring back some low end on the ribbon and back off the high end on your dynamic and you’ve got two amps with different characteristics and a cohesive sound between scene changes.

Oftentimes, a single IR mix won’t work with every amp, but this lets any mix sound great with any amp.

Another thing I love about it is being able to tailor the IR’s to the amp model. For instance, grabbing two or three mics that have the general tonality you’re looking for and tweaking them to fit the amp model. Say you’re using a darker model like the BE C45. You can clean up the low end on ribbon and condenser mics while leaving the top end open and it sounds great. Copy the same IR’s to another channel and use with an amp with tighter low end and a brighter top like a Mark IV. Bring back some low end on the ribbon and back off the high end on your dynamic and you’ve got two amps with different characteristics and a cohesive sound between scene changes.

Oftentimes, a single IR mix won’t work with every amp, but this lets any mix sound great with any amp.
We are forever indebted to you for planting this in Cliff’s skull.....this is a game changer IMO

I definitely appreciate the effort put into improving the product! Wish I had enough experience to tell the difference in the change, but I'll take the leap!

Loving the new features in the amp block - especially the low and high cuts for separate mics. Just like Justin said a ribbon mic can be really good for blending with a dynamic but many times you'll find the low end hard to control. Now you can fine tune that low end to fit the preset.

Generally speaking more tools is always better but as a general rule of thumb I recommend using high quality IR's that are done "just right" rather than f.ex. limiting IR length because the IR was shot in a concrete tunnel or the mic was placed so poorly that the top end needs to be filtered out.

I hope you realize I was kidding. :D

Generally speaking more tools is always better but as a general rule of thumb I recommend using high quality IR's that are done "just right" rather than f.ex. limiting IR length because the IR was shot in a concrete tunnel or the mic was placed so poorly that the top end needs to be filtered out.

Gee, I wonder where one might be able to purchase these "just right" IRs? :rolleyes:

Spam%2Bwaitress.jpg

So what does 256 equal in ms.?
It seems like 20 ms is the lowest we should go to keep the bass response up there ...so what does 256 and 512 come out to in ms....

I'm a Cosby fan, amazing celebrity personality, very talented, and had me in stitches for most of my childhood and adult life

COSM on the other hand....now that's a different story :confused:

It seems like 20 ms is the lowest we should go to keep the bass response up there ...so what does 256 and 512 come out to in ms....
About 5.3 ms. The length doesn't determine the amount of bass. It determines the resolution. If there is a sharp resonance in the bass response a short IR will smear that resonance causing it to be wider than it actually is.

I'd also like to know the length equivalents.

256=5.3ms
512=?
1024=?
max (2048?)=?

Also, what was the equivalents in "hirez" / "lowrez" terminology.

Great updates - thanks FAS!

Since no one else has talked about this I guess I'm the only one haveing this problem: after updating to 5.08 and Axe-Edit 1.01.08 the individual level knob in the cab block is dooing nothing, I have tried to make a new preset from scratch to see if that would make any differance but no, any sugestions to what could be wrong or can some one confirm the level knob is working ?

Ps. pan, low / high cut is working fine

Since no one else has talked about this I guess I'm the only one haveing this problem: after updating to 5.08 and Axe-Edit 1.01.08 the individual level knob in the cab block is dooing nothing, I have tried to make a new preset from scratch to see if that would make any differance but no, any sugestions to what could be wrong or can some one confirm the level knob is working ?

Read the manual, it explains how the individual levels work in the Cab block.

Back
Top Bottom