Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.08

I never used in much in Cab-Lab but I'm liking it here. I like to roll off the highs in IRs shot with SM57s.
Hi Cliff, as a guide, how much do you tend to roll off on those IR's?
My main IR of my own cab which I use globally was shot with a '57, and it always has been a bit spiky on the top end. This new feature should cure that nicely!

Added IR Length parameter to individual IRs in Cabinet block. Shorter lengths can be used to remove room reflections and/or decrease CPU usage.

603324-eRcQ34ObOhCxnCDT.jpg

Thanks for this Cliff ! The individual low cut/high cut is something I'll use a lot, been longing for those for quite some time

I like to use a slight boost before the hi cut in the Para EQ block, are one of the new slopes equivalent to that ? Are there any graphs showing the eq curve for each slope setting ?
The slopes are all maximally flat (Butterworth).

Hi Cliff, as a guide, how much do you tend to roll off on those IR's?
My main IR of my own cab which I use globally was shot with a '57, and it always has been a bit spiky on the top end. This new feature should cure that nicely!
I think it all depends on what you’re going for. I always start with 20-20k and dial in the amp. An IR “hears” exactly what the mic picked up so start wide open if you want the sound of a real mic’ed cab. It sounds better in a mix, but for solo playing, cutting the highs may sound more pleasant to you.

For live sounds you may want to high cut, but I find that cutting a little 2k-4k 1-2dB gets rid of the fatiguing frequencies when cranked. Cutting a little top will slightly tame your tone, while cutting too much will take away note separation and you’ll lose yourself in the mix.

For recording, leave it wide open on the top and cut around 80 Hz on the low end. I just recorded guitars for a Finnish pop star and the producer was blown away and shocked that I was using a modeler. I asked him if he EQ’ed the guitars at all in the mix and he said they were perfect and didn’t touch a thing.

Alright, this is phenomenal. I made a mix in two minutes that sounds flawless. Being able to ring out a chord or use the looper and adjust things in real time is a game changer. Sculpting low and high end and then playing with the Align feature to nudge a mic slightly out of phase is glorious.

Back
Top Bottom