Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.08

I didn't see much change in CPU usage, with the exception of one program, which jumped from ~70% usage to ~82%. It's the 5F6A Bassguy patch, with one extra IR loaded - the 6" room sound one. Removing one of the two original IRs drops usage down to ~77% or so. Weird.

I was talking about using the new truncating feature for the IR's in the Cab block...by going down to 512 on a couple of my IR's in a 3 IR mix I was able to free up space for one more Plex delay block.

I was talking about using the new truncating feature for the IR's in the Cab block...by going down to 512 on a couple of my IR's in a 3 IR mix I was able to free up space for one more Plex delay block.
Yeah, that'd work, too. In this case, dropping one of the nearfield IRs was adequate to git 'er dun, as it sounded fine with just one and the room IR.

That particular room IR is great added in with the close mic. A little dab'll do ya. I started at 0dB and backed it off until the sound was less reverb-y, and ended up around -7 to -9. Probably better to start with it really low and bring it up in the mix until the close-mic in-your-face quality *just* disappears, tho....

I've never heard a Recto 1 sound this $%#*@&#^$ good, no boost no compressor no nothing but gain about 6 and master right past 2.00...you can't get tone like this O U T O F A N A M P L I F I E R. Maybe after scouring the earth for a dozen Rev Gs to find the grail...of which you still can't tweak it's power tube mismatch or Xformer match with a M O U S E. 24db high filters on cab slots sounds perfect, IR length adjustment sounds great to knock it down to 256 for extended practice intervals, something about the reduced bandwidth of the shorter window makes for easier listening / less ear fatigue for whatever reason (doing extended single note practice). POD 2.0 / XT sits in the mix so well cause the high and low end is already lobbed off...this level of overwhelming satisfaction about something I didn't pay for is on par with stealing a police helicopter in GTA V.

Cliff, would it be possible to have a wider range on the individual lo/hi cuts controls?

If the ranges were 20-2000 Hz for the low cut and 200-20000 for the high cut, that would allow us to create crossovers within the cab block itself to do some fancy things like, for example, mix IRs per band (an IR for the low end, one for the mids and one for the highs) or apply smoothing only above or below a certain frequency.

Cliff, would it be possible to have a wider range on the individual lo/hi cuts controls?

If the ranges were 20-2000 Hz for the low cut and 200-20000 for the high cut, that would allow us to create crossovers within the cab block itself to do some fancy things like, for example, mix IRs per band (an IR for the low end, one for the mids and one for the highs) or apply smoothing only above or below a certain frequency.

This is a great idea!

I’m curious.. does using the hi or lo cut change the phase of the individual irs or would doing extreme cuts potentially cause shift between ir slots?

I’m curious.. does using the hi or lo cut change the phase of the individual irs or would doing extreme cuts potentially cause shift between ir slots?

moving filter points changes the phase like crazy, you won't get around phase shift when mixing IRs period even without filters, the comb filtering from combining two IRs already does phasing change, the filters are just helpful to isolate the section of the IR you're trying to use for whatever part (using the high of one IR and the low of another IR), that way the extra bandwidth on the ends you don't want will have less of an effect (less comb filtering) on the whole thing

to be more specific to your question, even using one IR will get some phase shift if you run filters after it. An EQ itself is a phaser actual, when you cut or boost frequencies...that's phase shift at a concentrated bandwidth.

+1, way easy to set crossover points within one cab block

Just upgraded to 5.08 after a somewhat lengthy delay in keeping up with the firmware updates. Edit and the unit both read 5.08, but I do not see the new JP2C amp block. Any idea what I am missing?

Hmm wonder if next one will be
5.09 or 6.0.
The firmwares are coming fast and furious
Will finally have time to update this weekend

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom