Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.07

Well, I know exactly what I'm talking about because I build tons of amps, build parts for tube amps, own all the vintage tube and speakers they are trying to replicate and then some and I have owned or still own most all of the amps they are trying to replicate. I bought the III and not a Kemper because it was super dynamic, musical, open, big, and clear, not because it ever sounded "exactly" like any of the amps... Now its dark, slow, closed and smaller sounding IMHO. they are going in the wrong direction for color and sacrificing articulation and response. I personally don't like how the tone is getting.... I briefly tried to play with the cathode clipping by turning it up as per the release notes to open and clear it up but I liked it the way it was when it first came out still. Ill keep working with it... just my opinion
I find it much easier to get good sounds on the 3 than the 2. Most presets are 80%-90% there and require only minor adjustments. YMMV. If you feel that Fractal is going in the wrong direction, there are always other alternatives.

Well, I know exactly what I'm talking about because I build tons of amps, build parts for tube amps, own all the vintage tube and speakers they are trying to replicate and then some and I have owned or still own most all of the amps they are trying to replicate. I bought the III and not a Kemper because it was super dynamic, musical, open, big, and clear, not because it ever sounded "exactly" like any of the amps... Now its dark, slow, closed and smaller sounding IMHO. they are going in the wrong direction for color and sacrificing articulation and response. I personally don't like how the tone is getting.... I briefly tried to play with the cathode clipping by turning it up as per the release notes to open and clear it up but I liked it the way it was when it first came out still. Ill keep working with it... just my opinion

I have a couple classic questions:
What are you listening through?
Do you have a preset that illustrates this?
Edit question - What tones are you wanting?

To be honest, I know there have been updates to the modeling in the past few FWs, but I don’t hear a massive difference in my presets. I liked them on older firmwares, and I like them now. Are they better with the updates? I dunno. But they’re certainly not worse.

All good guys !!!! I'm up for discussion. I'm having fun with the box and I'm a HARDCORE analog guy so I have lots to learn in this digital world....

I did experience the same condition in my cab onstage, in my ears and FOH last time I played out with it... (v5.05) I think...
Maybe its more true now and I just liked what the combination balance of tone was before?,...

Ill keep tweaking .

All good guys !!!! I'm up for discussion. I'm having fun with the box and I'm a HARDCORE analog guy so I have lots to learn in this digital world....

I did experience the same condition in my cab onstage, in my ears and FOH last time I played out with it... (v5.05) I think...
Maybe its more true now and I just liked what the combination balance of tone was before?,...

Ill keep tweaking .

That is often the case: you tweak for one firmware, then another comes out that corrects something, and your tweaks no longer apply but you're reluctant to change them. Get used to that, and change them anyway. Follow your ears and trust them. There's a LOT of tweakability in this unit, not just on tone but on response. I bet you'll be able to find something you like.

I did a reset on an amp recently and even with the same settings on the authentic page, it made a huge difference. I ended up resetting all the amps and it was like a veil was lifted. Just a thought for some of you. Fractool works really well at resetting amps.

The reference AC30 is an AC30HWHD.

Awesome. Mine has an EF86 as opposed to the ECC83 and people say that makes a big difference... I’m not so sure about that. Anyway, I’m glad I’m I stumbled back to the treble knob from a thread about firmware (that doesn’t affect this amp) in which the AC20 was mentioned.

Last edited:
How exactly do i reset the amp ? remove it from the block ? if so wont my scenes and amp channel get all messed ?

I did a reset on an amp recently and even with the same settings on the authentic page, it made a huge difference. I ended up resetting all the amps and it was like a veil was lifted. Just a thought for some of you. Fractool works really well at resetting amps.

Ok ill try that....

How exactly do i reset the amp ? remove it from the block ? if so wont my scenes and amp channel get all messed ?
Just select another amp model & then reselect the one you started with. Are you playing factory presets or your own? The factory presets were done quite a while ago & a lot has changed with the firmware so it's not surprising they might not sound right. They are in the process of redoing the factory presets but are not out yet. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-axe-fx-3-factory-presets.150270/#post-1787886

Last edited:
That Vox AC30 is one HUGE reason to love the axe....and be thankful for something like the FM3.....I had one of those and it was NO fun hauling that up and down stairs....at a weight of over 70lbs, the 3 buttons are a total savior in comparison.

A glass of scotch and a dark room works for me. Oh, the amp. Yeah try Fractool. You can reset the amp in all the presets at once.

Last edited:
Has anyone reverted back to 5.06 and then tried 5.07 again? I did and after going back to 5.06 my unit wouldn't boot up. I had to use the emergency reboot power up sequence. Back on 5.07 now and everything is good. Just wondering if this was a fluke or a bug?

I did get 5.06 to work after I updated to 5.07. Took a little massaging...

Somewhere along the line of firmware updates, I lost all of my layouts. Is there a way to initialize them with the factory defaults?

Back
Top Bottom