Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.07

Shame no specific improvements on the AC30s
specific improvements were made a while ago when they worked directly with U2. not sure what else you'd want.

FC: Added support for stand-in switches (assign external switches to perform a function assigned to an FC switch).
now that the cat's out of bag, you guys are going to LOVE this implementation. it's a really smart way to get features into the external switches. rather than requiring a "smart" switch or something specific, you can use regular switches (i prefer momentary/unlatched) to do anything the built-in FC switches can do. they are called "stand-in" because you setup the functions on an actual FC Switch slot first, then tell the External Switch what switch to "mimic" so to speak.

so any unused layout can be used, or any switch on a used layout... but my idea was to use the 4 unused spots on the MLM (Layout 9) for up to 4 external switches! you don't lose anything at all! FC6 users have all of the "switch 7-12" slots that can't be used anyway as well.

i'll try to make a video about this feature tonight. i've been very excited for it during testing, and i think this will help out a bunch for the Axe3 and definitely for the upcoming FM3.

now with these Stand-In switches, you can have "hard coded" switches for many things. do you need a "panic button" that always goes back to Preset 1? now you have it. want a permanent "tap and tuner hold" button? there it is. these Stand-In switches do not change function when you change Layouts, and that's a good thing. so many possibilities now with this super smart implementation.

Last edited:
specific improvements were made a while ago when they worked directly with U2. not sure what else you'd want.

now that the cat's out of bag, you guys are going to LOVE this implementation. it's a really smart way to get features into the external switches. rather than requiring a "smart" switch or something specific, you can use regular switches (i prefer momentary/unlatched) to do anything the built-in FC switches can do. they are called "stand-in" because you setup the functions on an actual FC Switch slot first, then tell the External Switch what switch to "mimic" so to speak.

so any unused layout can be used, or any switch on a used layout... but my idea was to use the 4 unused spots on the MLM (Layout 9) for up to 4 external switches! you don't lose anything at all! FC6 users have all of the "switch 7-12" slots that can't be used anyway as well.

i'll try to make a video about this feature tonight. i've been very excited for it during testing, and i think this will help out a bunch for the Axe3 and definitely for the upcoming FM3.

now with these Stand-In switches, you can have "hard coded" switches for many things. do you need a "panic button" that always goes back to Preset 1? now you have it. want a permanent "tap and tuner hold" button? there it is. these Stand-In switches do not change function when you change Layouts, and that's a good thing. so many possibilities now with this super smart implementation.
A quick vid from you about these fantastic new features would be much appreciated by many of us , Chris,

Yeah I am absolutely stoked about that stand-in switches. Now I just have to figure out how to squeeze 4 more switches onto my pedal board. Dedicated tuner, tap tempo, and looper layout toggle will be great.

Oh man, I better get rid of this danged ol FC-12 I have...I mean what’s the point...............NOT!:D

Thanks Cliff!

I really like the Boss FS-7, because of it form factor.
That's a nice one, would be good for the layout switching and tuner activation for sure. Do you think it would be suitable for something like tap tempo? Or is it hard to hit with enough accuracy?

That's a nice one, would be good for the layout switching and tuner activation for sure. Do you think it would be suitable for something like tap tempo? Or is it hard to hit with enough accuracy?

That's subjective.... The buttons don't "dry-click", they act like there's a spring underneath. Feels fine for most things, but maybe not for tap tempo.

this external switch thing is great. Makes me probably not need the FC12 any more. Can I have a dedicated button for tap tempo/hold for tuner?

this external switch thing is great. Makes me probably not need the FC12 any more. Can I have a dedicated button for tap tempo/hold for tuner?
do you have a controller at all? this update is for Switch inputs for FC controllers, not the Pedal ports on the Axe itself.

do you have a controller at all? this update is for Switch inputs for FC controllers, not the Pedal ports on the Axe itself.
Yes I ordered the 6 because I’m December on the waitlist. Now it looks like that’ll be plenty enough for my needs with minimal toe tapping.

Yes I ordered the 6 because I’m December on the waitlist. Now it looks like that’ll be plenty enough for my needs with minimal toe tapping.
ok got it. so yes, with the FC6, you can now use an External switch assigned to Tap for Tempo and Hold for Tuner, using this new Stand-In feature.

as you change Layouts to make the built-in switches do different things, that external will always be the Tap/Tuner. it's a great implementation.

Back
Top Bottom