Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.06

I might be incorrect, but when I updated for some reason I can't bypass the rotary block. I used axechange to download a preset and the rotary would not turn off so I just got rid of it. Is anyone else having that issue?

But the update sounds awesome. Thanks for all of the hard work.

I might be incorrect, but when I updated for some reason I can't bypass the rotary block. I used axechange to download a preset and the rotary would not turn off so I just got rid of it. Is anyone else having that issue?

But the update sounds awesome. Thanks for all of the hard work.
There is a modifier attached w/ auto-engage.

Hilarious: Wife walks into the room, I say, “‘Nother new firmware..”
She says, “Are you kidding me!? Cliff is a madman..he’s on fire lately..”
Even she appreciates it!

Same here. I was single for awhile. My girlfriends knew about Fractal Firmware releases. Now, I'm remarried. When I let my wife know there is a new firmware release, she just looks at me and says "Bye honey, see you tomorrow!"

I've noticed the Brit JVM ODs do this weird cutting out thing with certain harmonics.

This does not happen with the JS410 or the Friedman BE.

Here is a sample from the test Preset I've attached. Guitar is a Fender Am. Std. Strat with a Pearly Gates in the bridge.

First sound in the sample is the Brit JVMOD1 and the next sound in the sample is the Friedman BE. The Preset has Brit JMV OD1, Friedman BE and JS410 Lead in Channels 1, 2 and 3 respectively. In the sample all I did was change from Channel 1 to Channel2 and played the same riff. Yeah it's a crappy riff but it demonstrates the cutting in and out sound.

This happens in 5.05 too, I haven't back revved any further to see if it happens in previous firmware.

Attachments

• test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
I've noticed the Brit JVM ODs do this weird cutting out thing with certain harmonics.

Here is a sample from the test Preset I've attached. Guitar is a Fender Am. Std. Strat with a Pearly Gates in the bridge.

First sound in the sample is the Brit JVMOD1 and the next sound in the sample is the Friedman BE. The Preset has Brit JMV OD1, Friedman BE and JS410 Lead in Channels 1, 2 and 3 respectively. In the sample all I did was change from Channel 1 to Channel2 and played the same riff. Yeah it's a crappy riff but it demonstrates the cutting in and out sound.

This happens in 5.05 too, I haven't back revved any further to see if it happens in previous firmware.

That model is pretty 'gainy', especially with a Drive block in front of it, adding even more.. You could lower the 'Input Drive' quite a bit (around 3.00?) without really loosing any 'usable' gain, just a lot of the excess compression/clipping.

And/or, try lowering the 'Preamp' 'Bias Excursion' parameter to '0'. I have had to do this to another amp models (Deluxe Tweed, when really pushed) since firmware 5.xx to get it back to what I had before.

Last edited:

Sounds like an aggressive gate.

Sounds like an aggressive gate.
The Gate is a bit aggressive, effecting the note trails, but not causing the clipping/compression in the clip. I also tried it without the Gate.

This model (and the Deluxe Tweed) react differently than in the previous (major) firmware version, when pushed hard.

The Gate is a bit aggressive, effecting the note trails, but not causing the clipping/compression in the clip. I also tried it without the Gate.

This model (and the Deluxe Tweed) react differently than in the previous (major) firmware version, when pushed hard.
I just had another listen on something that's not my phone. :)

You're right. It sounds like blocking distortion. Try messing with bias, bias excursion, or CF Compression in the preamp section.

Yep, even with Drive bypassed I still got some cutting out. Tried lowering the Bias Excursion too but it didn't really help. Bypassed the Gate and set the Gate settings in the Input 1 block to -50 Thresh and 2.0 Ratio and it still sounds funny. With the Drive block bypassed the Amp isn't really being pushed that hard (Input Gain on 6?) and it still cuts a little, granted less than before. It's probably just my ears on this one model but it was definitely sounding weird the way I had it set before.

Must be the model in this FW combined with those settings, good to know.

Last edited:
I did thanks, I think I just had it set too aggressive with the Drive block for that one Amp (Brit JVM OD1). I posted it because it wasn't doing the same thing with the other Amps in the preset and I just thought it was a strange quirk.

Reactions: Rex
Tried lowering the Bias Excursion too but it didn't really help.

There are more than one 'Bias Excursion' parameters in the Amp block. Make sure that you lowered the one in the 'Preamp' tab. If I lower it to '0'. With that tweak, and the Gain set at 5.00, it sounds very close to the Axe-Fx II, Q10.01 version of that amp model with your original settings?

Last edited:
Since I downloaded 5.06 i have been getting scenes that have a rotary block that i cannot adjust the controls on in some of the Burg patches from the Axe download site. I can delete the rotary and replace with a new one and it seems to work.
I am not even sure if there were rotaries in the original sound. I also am getting an intermittent error that there is a usb connection issue with my IMac.

I went back to 5.02 and then reupgraded to 5.06. I have only had my FX 3 about three weeks and this is the first download/update that I have had any issues with. Any guidance and help would be appreciated.

Richard T.

Since I downloaded 5.06 i have been getting scenes that have a rotary block that i cannot adjust the controls on in some of the Burg patches from the Axe download site. I can delete the rotary and replace with a new one and it seems to work.
I am not even sure if there were rotaries in the original sound. I also am getting an intermittent error that there is a usb connection issue with my IMac.

I went back to 5.02 and then reupgraded to 5.06. I have only had my FX 3 about three weeks and this is the first download/update that I have had any issues with. Any guidance and help would be appreciated.

Richard T.
“Cannot adjust the controls” or can’t bypass/unbypass?

Richard T.
Almost certainly the Rotary block has a modifier with auto-engage enabled.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Added USA JP IIC+ Green amp model (channel 1).

Fixed wrong internal transformer matching value for Friedman Small Box model.

Fixed popping when switching between channels/scenes/patches with very different block levels.

Fixed incorrect error message when updating USB firmware via Fractal-Bot.

Fixed Upper Limit on functions in the Bank category reverting to '51' on restart (regardless of bank size).

Fixed FC layout names getting clobbered if knob A is used to Nav while editing.

Fixed loading defaults squashing the version (and other dummy params) on the devices page.

Display Effect name for Effect functions on the Overrides page of Per-Preset FC Settings.

Configurable timeout for the notifications on the FC main LCD.

Updated FC function Effect->Channel Select to turn off the LED ring if the effect is bypased and Smart Bypass is enabled.

Added TEST ON and TEST OFF to CS MIDI for the FC.

Cliff you are the biggest Rock star I have ever seen (though i have not seen you in person). Relentless aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom