Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.02

I set up a couple of per preset smart bypass switches...one to select Drive 1 channel A and turn it on and one to select Channel B.

They work fine but I noticed that when I select one of them it turns on but when I press the button again to bypass it the LED ring stays on bright even though the Drive does bypass.
Is this a glitch?

I set up a couple of per preset smart bypass switches...one to select Drive 1 channel A and turn it on and one to select Channel B.

They work fine but I noticed that when I select one of them it turns on but when I press the button again to bypass it the LED ring stays on bright even though the Drive does bypass.
Is this a glitch?
What controller or switch system are you using? If they are midi, some older controllers, like my antiquated X-15, require a send and receive midi cable for the LEDs to correspond with on/off stepping.

Hi Moke, I noticed there no anymore gap on some blocks like drive, at least about the effects type I use.
The only noticeable gap still remain on Amp and Cab.

Bye

I just ran through my presets and scenes and found no lags or anomalies. However, they are very simple with 3 or 4 scenes, input, comp, drive, pitch, amps, cabs, delay or other effect, reverb, no loops, split to 2 PEQ and out 1 and 2. I'm sure they are not as complex as your presets. But I'm not experiencing any lag, unless I'm using Axe Edit, which is normal. Most of my presets are below 60%, if that has anything to do with it.

I agree, In general, it is an improvement.. Some of the things that I listed are probably to be expected and avoided. Like switching channels on a wet Reverb, Or Multitap Delay? But most are new to this firmware, and IMHO, not intended.... i.e... a 'bug'

@FractalAudio Here are two (5.02) 'Test' presets. Each scene adds a change to the scene before with a small description. Hopefully this will save you some time troubleshooting these issues mentioned in this post.. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-5-02.148983/page-13#post-1769653?

Preset #1 has the Amp block 'off' for the first 5 scenes, because the 'Phaser' on/off gap/thump only seems to occur when the amp block is off? So I keep the Amp block 'off' for consistency until scene 6. Scenes 7 and 8 show the normal gaps when changing Amp and Cab channels.

Preset #2 shows some of the issues/bugs in the first four scenes, then uses the last four scenes to show the (normal?) gaps when changing channels on the Multitap Delay and Reverb blocks. Strange that the Delay, Megatap Delay, Plex Delay, and Ten-tap Delay seem gapless?

Attachments

• Gap Test (5.02) 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Gap Test (5.02) 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What controller or switch system are you using? If they are midi, some older controllers, like my antiquated X-15, require a send and receive midi cable for the LEDs to correspond with on/off stepping.

Thanks for the reply I am using the FC-6 with the Axe3, both on the latest firmware.
I setup the overrides in Axe Edit and it is on the FC-6 that the LED rings remain on when I second press the button to turn off the drive...so the first press selects the channel of the drive and turns it on and the second press turns it off (bypasses it) but the LED light remains on.

Maybe it is because it is a per preset override?

Is this a glitch?
The ring shows the state of it's primary purpose, which is Channel Select.

So once it has selected that channel it stays on.

It's a bit confusing, but makes sense if you think about it.

I would prefer an option to show bypass state. There is a wish for this.

The ring shows the state of it's primary purpose, which is Channel Select.

So once it has selected that channel it stays on.

It's a bit confusing, but makes sense if you think about it.

I would prefer an option to show bypass state. There is a wish for this.

Thanks ....that makes some sense then...but I would rather have it show up a bypassed when it is.

I was working on a custom preset for a client this weekend and discovered some odd things with the new 'channel switching' architecture in a few blocks, as well as a couple other things.

There are some blocks that have a gap when switching channels that is expected. The Amp block, the Cab block, the Drive block, and the IR player block, etc.... However there are some new anomalies/bugs that showed up with this new architecture that I don't think are intended?
  1. The 'Drive' block - There is now a small gap when activating and bypassing this block? Even if the mix is set to 0? Not sure if this was there before, or expected?
  2. The 'Filter' and 'GEQ' blocks - There is now a gap when switching channels? (this is not the case with the 'PEQ' block).
  3. The 'Multitap Delay' block - There is a gap in the delay trails which is probably normal, but this doesn't happen in the 'Delay', 'Plex Delay', and the 'Ten-Tap Delay' blocks?
  4. The 'Phaser' block - There is a gap when switching channels and there is also a gap when activating and bypassing this block? Even if the mix is set to 0?
  5. The 'Reverb' block - There is a gap in the trails which is probably normal, but this doesn't happen in the Delay, Plex Delay, and the Ten-Tap Delay blocks?
  6. The 'Flanger' block - There is no gap when switching channels, but there is a 'click' when activating and bypassing this block while audio is passing through? I've noticed this for a while now.

1. Not getting that here. There is a quick cross-fade because that block necessarily has to use upsampling because it does nonlinear processing.
2. The Filter and GEQ blocks must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
3. That will be fixed in the next firmware update.
4. The Phaser block must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
5. The Reverb block must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
6. This is because there is a short delay on the dry path when engaged to compensate for the interpolation kernel. When bypassed that delay is not present. This causes a slight discontinuity when engaging/bypassing. I can remove it but that means there will be a gap instead.

1. Not getting that here. There is a quick cross-fade because that block necessarily has to use upsampling because it does nonlinear processing.
2. The Filter and GEQ blocks must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
3. That will be fixed in the next firmware update.
4. The Phaser block must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
5. The Reverb block must mute on channel changes as the type may have changed and this can cause pops.
6. This is because there is a short delay on the dry path when engaged to compensate for the interpolation kernel. When bypassed that delay is not present. This causes a slight discontinuity when engaging/bypassing. I can remove it but that means there will be a gap instead.
Thanks for checking these out.
  1. Okay
  2. This is really bad news! The channel feature on these blocks made them very powerful for (gapless) scene to scene level and/or EQ tweaks. I am going to have to re-work a lot of presets.
  3. Thanks
  4. Okay. Plenty of work-arounds.
  5. Okay. Plenty of work-arounds.
  6. That's a tough choice? Maybe I could have the Flanger engaged in all scenes, but use one of the channels, with a mix of 0%, as the pseudo 'bypassed' channel, since channel switching has no gaps? Or a Control Switch/scene controller attached to the 'Mix' parameter?

I think that I found something else?

There seems to be no difference between the 'Peaking' and 'Peaking 2' types in the 'Filter' block?

Last edited:
Is there someway to remove gaps/clicks from those blocks if the type hasn't changed?
it probably can't know what the next channel may or may not be set to until it changes, which would mean it takes time to determine if the type has changed, which probably means slower switching. just a guess.

i think we have to choose between gap vs pop. and for me personally, a pop is devastating compared to a gap. it's why i sold my Mesa Roadster, as changing channels during performance would cause loud pops. real amp. original footswitch. pops.

Peaking 2 is constant Q. At +/- 12 dB they are the same. At other gains the Peaking 2 will have a wider bandwidth as the Q does not change.
Thanks again.
Even when set to '4th order' there seems to be no difference?

There is a noticeable difference on the other platforms. Even when set to '2nd Order'?

Just making sure.:D

Last edited:
it probably can't know what the next channel may or may not be set to until it changes, which would mean it takes time to determine if the type has changed, which probably means slower switching. just a guess..

IF that is the case, then perhaps it would be possible for the unit run a background process each time upon loading a preset, making an inventory of all channels of the blocks in that preset and store that data in a temporary lookup table, to which it would refer when switching scenes and channels ...

IF that is the case, then perhaps it would be possible for the unit run a background process each time upon loading a preset, making an inventory of all channels of the blocks in that preset and store that data in a temporary lookup table, to which it would refer when switching scenes and channels ...
sure, it'd have to be something like that.

Back
Top Bottom