Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.02

are the Plexi's (especially the 50 watters) working properly? Seems like the highs are ratty (fizzy) sounding
I found the same with Plexis and on the 800 as well along with the C++. Loading 5.02 and reloading presets and a reboot fixed the Marshalls (thank goodness... love those bad boys) but the C++ still sounds thin and pronounced on the top for both factory and AB Naked Amp presets.

I found the same with Plexis and on the 800 as well along with the C++. Loading 5.02 and reloading presets and a reboot fixed the Marshalls (thank goodness... love those bad boys) but the C++ still sounds thin and pronounced on the top for both factory and AB Naked Amp presets.
Did you double check that the output EQ in the amp blocks was reset to “on” after applying 5.02?

Question to all users : do you generally feel that you add to redo your presets or not, and specially the volume of some compared to others ? If the relative level of the presets/scenes is not affected, I'll be OK with fine tuning what needs to be. I worked a lot on the relative levels over the last weeks in rehearsals...
Sorry to hear about the tendonitis. Crappy timing. It is probably a wise decision to wait until after the show. To answer your question, I have had to make minor tweaks from time to time due to firmware upgrades. An example may be lowering the bass a little because of changes that affect the low end of the amp block. There have only been a few occasions where I have had to redo my presets. In one of the recent upgrades, I had to redo my Friedman Small Box preset because it just didn't sound good afterwards. I just reset the block and within 2 minutes was able to get back to a usable sound. Good luck with the show.

Sorry to hear about the tendonitis. Crappy timing. It is probably a wise decision to wait until after the show. To answer your question, I have had to make minor tweaks from time to time due to firmware upgrades. An example may be lowering the bass a little because of changes that affect the low end of the amp block. There have only been a few occasions where I have had to redo my presets. In one of the recent upgrades, I had to redo my Friedman Small Box preset because it just didn't sound good afterwards. I just reset the block and within 2 minutes was able to get back to a usable sound. Good luck with the show.
Thank you. As you may had read I took the risk and am glad I did. I just changed a few things in all the presets and that took me like 30-40 minutes so all is good, it didn't put too much strain on my arm. Fortunately for me, playing Pink Floyd is not playing Metallica ;)

Thank you. As you may had read I took the risk and am glad I did. I just changed a few things in all the presets and that took me like 30-40 minutes so all is good, it didn't put too much strain on my arm. Fortunately for me, playing Pink Floyd is not playing Metallica ;)

Don't miss on trying some amps on factory defaults when you arm is good again. I had always been a deep down advanced tab digger, now this time I don't need that anymore on many amps.
Big surprise. Many amps sound good from the start now. I don't know when thar changed that much, since I didn't need to tweak much on my existing presets, so it happend without me noticing it. But that's just great, selecting an amp and done, sounds right.

FW 5.x is fantastic, expecially the feel has improved greatly.
Thanks to FAS for providing a continuously evolving digital product, which actually improves over time instead of being replaced by a new variant every year.

I have noticed one oddity with the Class A TB model, which has appeared in FW 5 beta and is also present in 5.0 and 5.01. It's a low volume buzzing sound which becomes more noticeable with decaying guitar sound. I never played a real AC30, so this might be authentic. It does not occur on the Class A (non TB) model, and is influenced by the new cathode follower model, i.e. changing the grid clipping or harmonics parameter on the dynamics page in latest axe-edit influences the buzzing/scratching. I have attached a preset and a sound file (sorry, zip only, couldn't find the upload option for an mp3 file), which is a reamped simple chord into the Class A TB (with a scratchy sound during the decay) and the Class A model (no scratching sound).
Thanks for looking into it.
PS: I created this preset from scratch in FW 5

Attachments

• Class-A-TB.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ac30.zip
    162.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
FW 5.x is fantastic, expecially the feel has improved greatly.
Thanks to FAS for providing a continuously evolving digital product, which actually improves over time instead of being replaced by a new variant every year.

I have noticed one oddity with the Class A TB model, which has appeared in FW 5 beta and is also present in 5.0 and 5.01. It's a low volume buzzing sound which becomes more noticeable with decaying guitar sound. I never played a real AC30, so this might be authentic. It does not occur on the Class A (non TB) model, and is influenced by the new cathode follower model, i.e. changing the grid clipping or harmonics parameter on the dynamics page in latest axe-edit influences the buzzing/scratching. I have attached a preset and a sound file (sorry, zip only, couldn't find the upload option for an mp3 file), which is a reamped simple chord into the Class A TB (with a scratchy sound during the decay) and the Class A model (no scratching sound).
Thanks for looking into it.
PS: I created this preset from scratch in FW 5
The real amp actually is worse than the model. I toned it down a bit because it's too excessive IMO.

Or Preamp Bias. The Cathode Follower in an AC-30 is poorly designed. It clips very asymmetrically.

Cliff, out of curiosity, what model is the ac30tb modeled after? I mean, what is the physical ac30tb you use as reference for measurements?

Played my first gig tonight In a while, on fw 5.

Used the Seymour Duncan PS-170 and my Port City 2x12.

Couldn’t be happier, the sound was fantastic with the improved amp and drive modeling.

I’ve also returned to the trusted Euro Blue models, which sound awesome, cut better than the Friedmans and have that Bogner “growl”.

Played my first gig tonight In a while, on fw 5.

Used the Seymour Duncan PS-170 and my Port City 2x12.

Couldn’t be happier, the sound was fantastic with the improved amp and drive modeling.

I’ve also returned to the trusted Euro Blue models, which sound awesome and cut better than the Friedmans.
Curious. What style of music do you play?

Back
Top Bottom