Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@FractalAudio think there is a bug with the new reverbs Cirrocumulus, Cumulonimbus, Nimbostratus, and Stratocumulus; on clean amps in particularly and easily noticeable in preset 11 "Hipower", there are clicks and pops in the reverb. It’s Especially noticeable when you put the mix on 50% and /or use the hold function.

It seems more intense with the cirrocumulus and cumulonimbus algos

@FractalAudio think there is a bug with the new reverbs Cirrocumulus, Cumulonimbus, Nimbostratus, and Stratocumulus; on clean amps in particularly and easily noticeable in preset 11 "Hipower", there are clicks and pops in the reverb. It’s Especially noticeable when you put the mix on 50% and /or use the hold function.

Not doing it here.

There is a click when using hold. But not when using it normally.

I’ve been totally locked into the Fenders, the Cameron and the Atomica since 5b2 dropped. Just completely blown away by them.

So tonight I tried my favorite Mesa C++ preset and thought it sounded more “raspy” (for lack of a better description). Thought that was odd and cranked up another favorite preset - Leon’s @2112 John Sykes patch - which has launched HOURS of fun for me with a Les Paul.

And.......also “raspy”.

Has something changed with the Mesa Mark series ? Now before I get pummeled with a bunch of what-seems-to-have-become-obligatory-flak please know that I’m neither a rookie OR bitching. I’m sure a minute or two retweaking will get me superior results...however.

Anyone else noticed a change to the Mesa Marks ?

I’ve been totally locked into the Fenders, the Cameron and the Atomica since 5b2 dropped. Just completely blown away by them.

So tonight I tried my favorite Mesa C++ preset and thought it sounded more “raspy” (for lack of a better description). Thought that was odd and cranked up another favorite preset - Leon’s @2112 John Sykes patch - which has launched HOURS of fun for me with a Les Paul.

And.......also “raspy”.

Has something changed with the Mesa Mark series ? Now before I get pummeled with a bunch of what-seems-to-have-become-obligatory-flak please know that I’m neither a rookie OR bitching. I’m sure a minute or two retweaking will get me superior results...however.

There were no changes to those models and the new algorithms don't apply to those models because they don't have cathode followers.

Years ago I thought it was there but my hearing continues to evolve. Right now I think it's there but in a year I might think differently. There are things I hear and feel now that I couldn't discern years ago. Most people only hear frequency response and that's enough to fool them. That's why those online A/B tests don't mean much. And you can't hear feel.

I've sat and played one chord for hours on end comparing the amp to the model and it's taught me things that measurements don't show. Every firmware update it gets harder and harder to tell the difference in blind A/B tests but in a month or three or twelve I might be able to again.

Thank you for replying. BTW, you may recall I have been a customer since the very first unit. While I may not be able to tell the difference all the time between firmware updates, there is a noticeable difference over time. I recall that I could never get the original AC30 model in the first Axe to work well at all. My Tech21 Liverpool pedal was so much better. It didn't take long for the firmware to surpass the Liverpool. I was very happy with the Axe II and thought it didn't need much more. The Axe III is definitely better, especially the interface and other options. I do appreciate the continual upgrades, but I'm also looking forward to fewer updates as I'm addicted to keeping my presets up to date and they do require some changes every few updates. It's all good, so thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question.

I loaded Beta 2 before practice tonight, and it sounded great. I did have an odd experience though that hasn't happened at previous practices. About 5 songs in, I noticed that the switch on my FC-6 that's assigned to my lead scene (bottom row, far right) was not switching scenes any more. I was in a hurry to troubleshoot since we were rehearsing, so I quickly tried a few buttons I have on the top row that change presets for me, and those worked. I then unplugged the XLR cable from the FC-6 (which caused it to power off), plugged it back in, and everything worked again. This happened one more time about 30 minute later. I don't recall seeing anything in recent release notes related to the foot controllers, so my guess is a bad cable, or a problem with the FC-6, but I thought I'd mention it here just in case.

Hi There, been tested the 5 b2, in the FC-6 it wont let me select certain presets. For example the FC-6 when it encounters preset 12, 13, 14,16 it gets blank and wont scroll on to more presets (neither up or down). Other times when I navigate with the Axe edit to higher presets and come down it will load those presets.... don't know if this is a coackroack bug type?

Hi There, been tested the 5 b2, in the FC-6 it wont let me select certain presets. For example the FC-6 when it encounters preset 12, 13, 14,16 it gets blank and wont scroll on to more presets (neither up or down). Other times when I navigate with the Axe edit to higher presets and come down it will load those presets.... don't know if this is a coackroack bug type?
What Layout? Default? This only happens now and not with older firmware?

What Layout? Default? This only happens now and not with older firmware?
Hi Chris,
I just got my FC-6 a couple of days, and just tried it with the 5b2, would not know for sure, in the Scenes layout, BTW, I have 2 knobs for preset up/down ( and bank up/down with hold function), when I get to -lets say preset 12, it wont go further on than than spot and the FC-6 screen gets blank, I am writing down the faulty spots where that happens... I can change presets with the Axe edit though, but on the FC-6 it gets stuck

Last edited:
I am getting serious problems with the FC-6 not loading presets, sometimes they load , sometimes they don't, there are some spots, that never load and the screen gets blank, I have to access through the axe edit tp a new preset spot.....

And.......also “raspy”.

Regarding the C++, I set it up tonight with the settings of input 6, overdrive 8,25, bass 3, mid 5, treble 5, presence 5, level 5. I used Legacy number 35 cab and put a TS8, non mod in front set to 0, 5, 100% mix and level 5. It was very fluid and may be my new go to gain setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom