Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.03

there is some not-sound-normal clipping going on at the amp input though, Recto 2 Modern with a TS808 boost, 12dB is kind of audible but 24dB is clearly audible. The same thing happens using a graphic EQ in front pushing 20 dB into the amp front, there is something breaking that shouldn't...like if you overdrive-a-mixer-channel sound. The amp by itself sounds fine.

Attachments

• Rectifier Abuse.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
My sense is that when bugs happen, no one is more unhappy about it than Cliff. We have the option to roll back, and hopefully provide some constructive feedback about what we experienced.

Speaking just for myself, I like the rate of innovation and recognize that it imparts some risks. If I don't want to be on the bleeding edge, it's as easy as not installing the latest release(s).

My sense is that when bugs happen, no one is more unhappy about it than Cliff. We have the option to roll back, and hopefully provide some constructive feedback about what we experienced.

Speaking just for myself, I like the rate of innovation and recognize that it imparts some risks. If I don't want to be on the bleeding edge, it's as easy as not installing the latest release(s).
you're new here, and we just don't have room for this sort of common sense and calm attitude. :D

just to be clear for everyone reading, that was a joke. #joke

At the risk of being fully incinerated to an unrecognizable pile of ash

That’s pretty great. Lol.
If there’s a problem, FAS needs to know it. The attacks that are unleashed around here seem to be directed at guys that don’t appreciate the unparalleled support this company gives.
....anyone take note of the TIME OF DAY - this firmware was announced ?

there is some not-sound-normal clipping going on at the amp input though, Recto 2 Modern with a TS808 boost, 12dB is kind of audible but 24dB is clearly audible. The same thing happens using a graphic EQ in front pushing 20 dB into the amp front, there is something breaking that shouldn't...like if you overdrive-a-mixer-channel sound. The amp by itself sounds fine.
Is the output clipping?

Is the output clipping?

nope just the amp input. it's got red bar coming out of the GEQ and red bar going into the front of the amp, but outputs are good. the clipping sounds the same using the built in amp boost at 24 dB as it does using the GEQ to throw 20dB at the front.

Attachments

• Rectifier Abuse.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
And, BTW, I *do* expect every model to be tested thoroughly either in house or by the beta testers. We should expect no less.
Firmware 1 went to 1.19, 2 went to 2.05, 3 to 3.02 to 4.03 I guess I'm missing the perfection entitlement here?? I very glad to get updates released the way we do. And have never been forced to update. I guess I learned long ago that to "expect" anything from anything or anyone is a 100% guarantee of disappointment. Just roll with the changes and decide for yourself whether to install or not. At the worst of times with the FAS firmware, there's minimal bugs and the ones found are eliminated extremely quickly!

Firmware 1 went to 1.19, 2 went to 2.05, 3 to 3.02 to 4.03 I guess I'm missing the perfection entitlement here?? I very glad to get updates released the way we do. And have never been forced to update. I guess I learned long ago that to "expect" anything from anything or anyone is a 100% guarantee of disappointment. Just roll with the changes and decide for yourself whether to install or not. At the worst of times with the FAS firmware, there's minimal bugs and the ones found are eliminated extremely quickly!
this 100%

FAS should make a sticky thread titled "Current FAS A-List Artist FW in use" that lists what FW Metallica is using, and Def Leppard, and Maroon 5, and Taylor Swift, etc etc. Ever heard of a vehicle recall from the likes of Ford, or Chevy, or Toyota. Or heaven forbid, BMW? Mercedes??

And, BTW, I *do* expect every model to be tested thoroughly either in house or by the beta testers. We should expect no less.

I think it would be impossible to test every scenario in which the device is being used, the possibilities are endless. It is not realistic for all of the bugs to be detected by beta testers unless the software stayed in beta for a year or something. I prefer to get frequent updates, if there is a bug than Cliff usually has it fixed within a couple days, and it only takes 5 minutes to roll back to the previous version if needed.

I think it would be impossible to test every scenario in which the device is being used, the possibilities are endless. It is not realistic for all of the bugs to be detected by beta testers unless the software stayed in beta for a year or something. I prefer to get frequent updates, if there is a bug than Cliff usually has it fixed within a couple days, and it only takes 5 minutes to roll back to the previous version if needed.
You speak like a wise man!

At the risk of being fully incinerated to an unrecognizable pile of ash, IMO there still appear to be an over compressed and distorted quality to the Recto and SLO models, when using a pedal to boost input gain before the amp or using the boost function in the preamp page. I am running all amp parameters at default and particularly low master vol (i.e., 2.0) for the Rectos. 4.03 certainly improved the known issue with 4.01, but these models do not seem to sound as anticipated, as compared to earlier firmware versions or the real-deal sitting in my studio.
I looked into this. In the earlier firmware I had to fudge some of the cathode follower values to get the measurements to agree. With the new cathode follower algorithm those fudged values result in too much compression. The original values I calculated now work with the new algorithm. So for the Recto models you should change the following:
Cathode Follower Compression: 74%
Cathode Follower Ratio: 0.35

I need to go through all the amp models and check the values. Once I'm done with that I'll release (yet another) firmware. The new firmware will automatically update the cathode follower values on existing presets.

I looked into this. In the earlier firmware I had to fudge some of the cathode follower values to get the measurements to agree. With the new cathode follower algorithm those fudged values result in too much compression. The original values I calculated now work with the new algorithm. So for the Recto models you should change the following:

I need to go through all the amp models and check the values. Once I'm done with that I'll release (yet another) firmware. The new firmware will automatically update the cathode follower values on existing presets.
dude sir, you are the best

Is this just the Rectos or does it include the SLO models too?

For my part, this FW is putting a big smile in my face.

I find the Dizzy Ch3 not enough compressed compared to my remembering of my VH4 (no courage to switch it on) but it has KT-77 in it. And choosing KT tubes in the Axe puts it in the ballpark.

I’m not an engeneer, coder or other computer related nerd, but as mac and cubase user, I’ve simply learned to wait before updating if I don’t want to worry.

The most important thing is the WOW I say when I play and this FW makes it.

Be advised that after installing this 4.03, I lost my system settings for display offset, spillover, midi CC assignments, etc and so forth. Not sure if it is connected to the update, because I have had this happen with my first unit, and this replacement unit several times since I embarked on Axe III ownership in April.

Has anyone else had issues similar to mine when installing this?
I have installed every firmware since I got my AXE III months ago. I've never had that issue. Just in case you have a different method of installing them, I either download it from the link posted or get it through Fractal Bot and install with Fractal Bot.

Back
Top Bottom