Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.03

At the risk of being fully incinerated to an unrecognizable pile of ash, IMO there still appear to be an over compressed and distorted quality to the Recto and SLO models, when using a pedal to boost input gain before the amp or using the boost function in the preamp page. I am running all amp parameters at default and particularly low master vol (i.e., 2.0) for the Rectos. 4.03 certainly improved the known issue with 4.01, but these models do not seem to sound as anticipated, as compared to earlier firmware versions or the real-deal sitting in my studio.

I hear what you are talking about, though for me it was in other high gain types like the gainier Dizzy models and Cornfed. I lowered Bias Excursion and I 'think' it was somewhat lessened (someone had mentioned this elsewhere). I'll keep experimenting.

On the flip side, I think low-mid gain amps and the preamp tube models benefited from 4. Lots of models I skipped before are now in my main performance patch, such as the Concert and Nuclear-tone. And I can hear and feel a sizeable difference in different preamp tube settings, particularly in distorting upper frequencies.

joe

Oh the wonder;...
I personally truly enjoy being an integral part of the Fractal Systems' gear refinement process which I believe we all on the forum are.
The way I see it, we are like the R&D and quality control departments that most big manufacturers hire people for, which in turn raises the price of their products considerably.
Here with Fractal we get an incredible bargain for the money, with cutting edge technology, unheard of in the industry (A+++) service , and a kind, generous founder who's heart is as big as a house who (in my opinion) bends over backwards for his patrons/customers and is truly looking out for our welfare by way of his passion 'AXE-fX'.

I for one am ever thankful and grateful with no complaints for all that has been accomplished along the way with this Amazing Black Box and for the utter genius of it's creator.

One Happy Camper

:):guitar:

This last bug was one amp in a dual amp configuration.. and the user pointed out he had seen the issue prior to this release anyway, so you can’t even count this latest FW as something that was bugged because of the 4.0 upgrade. The fact that it was fixed in a heartbeat is what should be celebrated not scrutinized. FFS.

Exactly! Only reason I didn’t report it earlier is I couldn’t recreate it. It took me awhile to figure out the one particular configuration that set it off. I doubt many people had that one model set in a dual amp patch to even ever notice the issue. Once I figured it out & posted the issue & an example patch, Cliff had it fixed within minutes!

Some people here on this thread need to put into perspective how many FW updates Cliff releases, and the vast majority are stable and perfect. In the rare case there is an issue (because we are all human after all) then Cliff is honest with us and fixes the issue in record time.

Yet we still moan and have an opinion about it!? Wow.......

I hear what you are talking about, though for me it was in other high gain types like the gainier Dizzy models and Cornfed. I lowered Bias Excursion and I 'think' it was somewhat lessened (someone had mentioned this elsewhere). I'll keep experimenting.

On the flip side, I think low-mid gain amps and the preamp tube models benefited from 4. Lots of models I skipped before are now in my main performance patch, such as the Concert and Nuclear-tone. And I can hear and feel a sizeable difference in different preamp tube settings, particularly in distorting upper frequencies.

joe

Thanks Joe, I agree that those models appear to share the same issue. I love the Rectos, so I'm just going to roll back to the 4.0 Beta until this issue is addressed or we are told it is what it is. Again, my actual three channel Recto does not exhibit this behavior with a TS as a clean boost in front of the amp. - Tim

Thanks Joe, I agree that those models appear to share the same issue. I love the Rectos, so I'm just going to roll back to the 4.0 Beta until this issue is addressed or we are told it is what it is. Again, my actual three channel Recto does not exhibit this behavior with a TS as a clean boost in front of the amp. - Tim

Can you maybe post a preset of the recto and deizel so Fas can look at it
You did reset the amp block too yes?

Be advised that after installing this 4.03, I lost my system settings for display offset, spillover, midi CC assignments, etc and so forth. Not sure if it is connected to the update, because I have had this happen with my first unit, and this replacement unit several times since I embarked on Axe III ownership in April.

Has anyone else had issues similar to mine when installing this?

Just to say, I love and am completely amazed by the speed and quality of these updates.

As someone who works in s/w development - I would be very, very happy if any team I run could be this bug free - it's not easy believe me.,

Plus - you can always rollback, 3.02 was hardly a shocker!

I'm loving 4.03 more than a grown man should love a piece of software, thank you

are you saying there's a problem with the rectifier types?

if you're having too much bass issues with a Recto, lower the speaker compression/time-constant/compliance, Also (i don't know why, it seems backwards) but raising the sag from default to up around 7 (tube rectifier settings ish) reduces that low end resonant node pretty well. This is with master on 2.83. The preamp is fine, the low end resonance and high end cut problems are usually 80% in the power section I'm starting to see

Back
Top Bottom