Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.03

Geez.... some people

I think Cliff might just throw up his hands in frustration and say fine, one update every 6 months. Why bust his butt on this stuff when people just complain about it ?

Constant improvement, new features etc, all for FREE and people still have the nerve to say they are forced to be a beta tester ?

FC’s are too slow, firmware is too fast, old products not updated fast enough. Just can’t win

I think some of us may be missing the value of rapid updates - to both the Fractal community and to FAS. By implementing his E-Cliff-anies and making the updates quickly, Cliff is putting his best foot forward, and by doing so, each of us goes to his/her favorite amp(s) and checks it out. This process causes bugs to show up quickly (and in parallel) and Cliff obliges by squashing them equally quickly. We are both the customers and part of the bug-detection squad. It's just a different way of working than most software companies but I for one am OK with that. For the record I manage radar system development and frequently manage both embedded software and GUI software projects. We don't work this way but our clientele are totally different. I think Cliffs firmware/software development cycle is quite appropriate for this product and this community.

OK, my last douse of gasoline on this fire... I won't join in the whipping out the length of my dev experience to show I'm right argument.

My point is that FW 4.0 was a rockier release than past releases and should give FAS some pause. It was in beta for 3 days, the same as FW 3.0, so I guess by that measure, the process was the same.

IMHO, it's no badge of honor to have to do 3 quick-fix releases in the span of 48 hours. Is this how software goes, yes - it is an inexact science. Is it completely unexpected, no (see previous comment). Should you use events like this as a learning experience to improve, absolutely.

Oh, and is FW 4.0x awesome - Y E S ! ! !

OK, my last douse of gasoline on this fire... I won't join in the whipping out the length of my dev experience to show I'm right argument.

My point is that FW 4.0 was a rockier release than past releases and should give FAS some pause. It was in beta for 3 days, the same as FW 3.0, so I guess by that measure, the process was the same.

IMHO, it's no badge of honor to have to do 3 quick-fix releases in the span of 48 hours. Is this how software goes, yes - it is an inexact science. Is it completely unexpected, no (see previous comment). Should you use events like this as a learning experience to improve, absolutely.

Oh, and is FW 4.0x awesome - Y E S ! ! !

If your not on the beta team you don’t really know how long early versions of it were tested and what transpired.

Jeez ... it was only one amp in a special config ... and squashed in less than 1/2 a day. Some of y’all are wound a little too tight.

As said previously by many, no one puts a gun to your head and makes you update, and that touring pros/gigging artist/recording projects often stay on far older firmware for consistency sakes.

Try some gratitude instead of hubris of knowing better or expecting more of FAS (who already set the bar in the MI for attention to the voices of their customer’s desires).

Honestly I feel lucky to be part of this development ride. It’s like Christmas every two to four weeks. Been like that for years. :)

Any software you use you are a beta tester, being aware of it or not.

+1 - If you are nervous, wait a while before jumping into a new software release - whether it’s your phone, computer, axefx3 or whatever. ALL software has bugs in it - generally fewer as time rolls on and it gets exercised more and more.

Do the 4.0x firmwares seem to have more bass in the amp models? They sound much improved nevertheless. And I’m liking the modifications to the Big Muff. I’d love to be able to tweak the tone stack on it. The gap between Axe and Helix is wide enough now I’m thinking no reason not to sell the HelixLT.

You guys have to stop. I’m wearing a hole in my phone screen where the LIKE spot is.

Majority rules !
More hands , lighter/faster work. I’m glad to be a part of the TEAM. (At least that’s how this company makes me feel.)

That's just how they rope you in first, to get your money. oh wait...

You know, I updated my iPhone recently and it broke several apps. Am I going to roll back the update? No. I don’t even know how. Progress in tech moves us forward. That is the world we live in.
Much easier to roll back on Axe than on IPhone, to be sure. ....but I have never needed to , except for one disastrous (for me)FW way back in ye olde Quantum daze..........

This last bug was one amp in a dual amp configuration.. and the user pointed out he had seen the issue prior to this release anyway, so you can’t even count this latest FW as something that was bugged because of the 4.0 upgrade. The fact that it was fixed in a heartbeat is what should be celebrated not scrutinized. FFS.

Back
Top Bottom