Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post the preset. Can't help you if you don't post the preset.
Ok. I'm at work now so I'll do that later. When I made a fresh preset I started with stock amp settings, factory 2 cab 418. Gradually added more gain and treble because it was so dark. Then added shimmer drive but turned the gain down.

If you say it's on my DAW i'll take that out of the equation too.

But like I said, everything worked just fine in earlier firmware. Except for the daw phasing.

Last edited:
I have just confirmed this behavior on that preset..................no idea what’s up..... @austinbuddy , can you have a look?
.......edit...the amp itself sounds fine used in a fresh preset, but cannot be corrected within
the AB preset.....
I am at a conference for work out of town until Next wednesday but will check it out when i get back.

This firmware sounds really good. Thanks for the remarkable improvement!

I may have found a minor issue. In AustinBuddy's 'Marshall JCM 800' preset, the scenes for 'Brit 800 Mod' model sound really bizarre...sort of like they're bitcrushed. The mangled sound goes away if you bypass the amp block, thus narrowing it down to that block. A reset of the amp block doesn't fix the problem. The scenes in the preset which use different amp models sound fine. I can't post the preset since it's commercial.
Will check it out, but next week, away from studio until Wednesday. Thanks and feel free guys to email or PM me if you find a preset sounds strange under new firmware. Thrilled to have the SV Bass back again! FW 4.01 is the best yet!

Where do you have the master volume? Anything past 2 or 3 on those amps starts to sound garbage IMO
Good call, but I am running master volume at 2 on all recto models. Also tried reinstalling 4.01. I rolled back to 4.0 beta and do not experience what I previously described with 4.01.

Good call, but I am running master volume at 2 on all recto models. Also tried reinstalling 4.01. I rolled back to 4.0 beta and do not experience what I previously described with 4.01.
I don't have those issues with the last 3.xx firmware. I do have issues with phase in my daw. I have an outboard recorder I can try tonight to see what happens.

My issue doesn't appear to be a master volume issue since I don't run it very high with high gainers. Its like the amp model just cuts out when you slam the front with too much treble.

Last edited:

Its souds like you have some similar issues to tone ranger can you post a preset for FAS to look at

Its souds like you have some similar issues to tone ranger can you post a preset for FAS to look at
I'll post one this evening. I'll make a preset from scratch with just amp, cab and drive block. May even make one with amps that do this and one that doesn't.

Sorry if I'm being redundant. Just trying to give as much info as I can while I'm away from my AxeFx.

I may even have comb filtering going on...the tone coming out of output 1 thru my headphones is cleaner than the USB playback.

Last edited:
Same Recto2 Red Modern issue here. Sounds like complete shorting out mush. I have hundreds of hours into making this amp sound like my buddies Blackstar HT100 MKII. All of my high gain presets for the band I'm in are built around slight gain and EQ variations of this one amp. Rolled back to 3.0.2. Have zero time to figure this out what the issue is and re-tweak 30 something songs. I'm attaching one preset of my customized Recto2 Red Modern if anyone cares to have a look/listen. I use a 4x12 Blackstar V30 IR from Silent Underground studios but have set the cab to a factory one that's close to the IR I'm using.

Attachments

• I LOVE ROCK N ROLL E.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Same Recto2 Red Modern issue here. Sounds like complete shorting out mush. I have hundreds of hours into making this amp sound like my buddies Blackstar HT100 MKII. All of my high gain presets for the band I'm in are built around slight gain and EQ variations of this one amp. Rolled back to 3.0.2. Have zero time to figure this out what the issue is and re-tweak 30 something songs. I'm attaching one preset of my customized Recto2 Red Modern if anyone cares to have a look/listen. I use a 4x12 Blackstar V30 IR from Silent Underground studios but have set the cab to a factory one that's close to the IR I'm using.

I don't know how the preset should sound. And I don't know if there's a bug or not.

But a couple of comments:

- You have changed the characteristics of the Amp type (Recto) so much, using the advanced controls, that it is hard to imagine that a change of the underlying amp modeling algorithm would NOT change the sound.

- That's a dark IR you're using, and you're compensating for that in the Cab block. Perhaps select another IR without the need to apply so much EQ in the Cab's preamp.

- The Reverb block is boosting the signal a lot, because you're merging two dry signals. You should adjust the Mix, Level and Bypass settings of the Reverb block. The ideal way to run a block like that in a parallel row, is to set Mix to 100%, Bypass to Mute In, and then use Level (or Input Gain with Level at 0) to set the desired amount of effect signal.

- The MIC DISTANCE, AIR and PREAMP settings in the Cab block have a major impact on the tone.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's what mine is doing too. Even with a new preset with default settings.

Yek all the settings as they are work exactly as I want them to in 3.0.2 with my live setup and IEM's. I don't see any changes to the cab block in the 4.0.1 notes so it has everything to do with the Recto amp block. Just don't have time at the moment to re-invent the wheel on 30+ presets. If I did have time I would record 3.0.2 vrs 4.0.1 and a recording of the Blackstar to show what I'm after.

Yek all the settings as they are work exactly as I want them to in 3.0.2 with my live setup and IEM's. I don't see any changes to the cab block in the 4.0.1 notes so it has everything to do with the Recto amp block. Just don't have time at the moment to re-invent the wheel on 30+ presets. If I did have time I would record 3.0.2 vrs 4.0.1 and a recording of the Blackstar to show what I'm after.

I totally get that.

I'm just saying that, apart from any bugs, some adjustment in your preset design would probably safeguard it better against undesirable effects from future firmware upgrades, and/or make pinpointing issues easier. It's just friendly advice. :)

I totally get that.

I'm just saying that, apart from any bugs, some adjustment in your preset design would probably safeguard it better against undesirable effects from future firmware upgrades, and/or make pinpointing issues easier. It's just friendly advice. :)

I get that too but on my end, even restoring amps to their defaults doesn't fix what's going on. 3.02 works fine for me. My Legato is crunchy and tight but with 4.01 it's a mess and cuts out when drives and Wahs (real and onboard) are used.

I have several problems to work out. Phase issues in my daw, even when everything is set to stereo. For some weird reason I get way better recorded tones straight out of output 1 then I do with USB.

I tried Leons Skullcrusher preset. Sounds nice and thick for him direct but for me its weak and thin.

That’s fantastic Cliff, thank you sir.

In all fairness I don’t think there is a setting in this Recto2 Red Modern amp that I haven’t fiddled with trying to recreate the nightmare that is Blackstar HT100 MKII. Just trying to get a close representation to it that works in our mix.

That’s fantastic Cliff, thank you sir.

In all fairness I don’t think there is a setting in this Recto2 Red Modern amp that I haven’t fiddled with trying to recreate the nightmare that is Blackstar HT100 MKII. Just trying to get a close representation to it that works in our mix.
that's not more of a marshall style amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom