Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played around with the Tone of Kings, Blues OD, Timmy 2, and the Jan Ray model. They do sound great. But I could not get them to sound as good or better that the boost in the amp block.

they are meant to do different things than the boost in the amp block....

Man , I spent some time with my updated III last night , and I LOVE the authentic controls.
I know the same controls were there before amongst the rest , but now , it just seems SO much better.

@FractalAudio ,You’ve told guys that can’t get the sound they want from amps , to twist some knobs - on the basic controls ( BMT , drive ) - and this update is a push in the right direction.
I found myself getting better tones , faster than before. Crazy - I know. Lol. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Maybe it could help if you post a short audio comparison between fw 3.01 and 3.02, set the tube driver at default settings on both.
If everything's fine they should sound identical with default values, I suppose, since that model didn't change.
I find, as stated that most of the drivers sound different at the default settings, and need tweaking to get back where you were. I am using a TS driver and found the default setting sounded better mixed with the amp I chose.

I found a minor issue with the “Plexi 100W 1970” amp model in firmware version 3.02. If you reset the amp block, the Normal Drive control doesn’t appear anywhere (including in the Advanced tab). If you set Tone Control Display = IDEAL, it appears as expected on the Tone page. I didn't check the other dual-drive plexi models.

As a side note, perhaps a separate board should be created for Axe-Fx III bugs like there is for the II.

This is what I see when I checked. The AXE III screen and AXE Edit screen do not change whether I am set to ideal or authentic.
Not sure if this is correct or not. Other amps do change.
20190228_133046.jpg 20190228_133056.jpg

Last edited:
Works a treat here. I tried some of the drives in front of my JTM45 and they're simply glorious. The Axe-edit update is fantastic too - editing FC functions from Axe-edit makes live very easy indeed.

Bring on the standalone FAS drive pedal ;)

Great vid Leon. Is the pick up selector / controls on your LP wired back to front? It sounds brighter when 'up' which is usually the neck pickup. Thinking about it I suppose it puts the bridge pickup controls nearer to the picking hand - cool idea actually.

Last edited:
It funny because i find the screamer in front of the Recto as opposed to the boost sounds feels better
Did you reset your drive blocks and retweak
I agree. For me the boost in the amp block is a little darker compared to the TS Drive block in front of the amp. The drive block just sounds better. The difference could have something to do with amp, speaker cabs, FRFR cabs.

Loving the drive block update. I don't like the Ray Jam and Timothy models much, they seem very bass-heavy. However, I bet they're like that in real life. Otherwise, they sound outstanding.

Something was mentioned about the TS808 and the mod version defaulting to 2000hz instead of the old setting. Well at rehearsal tonight, my guitar sounded tinny compared to the last rehearsal. So I looked at the blocks and found the TS808 drive tone setting, in all my presets, was in fact set to 2000. I also checked the mod version as well and it is defaulted to 2000. Was the original setting 400 or 700?
There is no "drive tone setting".

I agree. For me the boost in the amp block is a little darker compared to the TS Drive block in front of the amp. The drive block just sounds better. The difference could have something to do with amp, speaker cabs, FRFR cabs.
I believe from memory the default cuts on the TS was 700-1000 and TSMod was 400-1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom