Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

This is the list of changed Drive models.

As a matter of fact, I'm happy to see that some of the models did NOT change. :)

EDIT: see Cliff’s post https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-3-02-public-beta.147926/page-6#post-1749554

BB Pre
Blues OD
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Eternal Love
FAS Boost
FAS LED-Drive
Fat Rat
Full OD
M-Zone Dist
Plus Dist
Rat Dist
Ruckus Ge (NEW!)
Ruckus
Super OD
T808 Mod
T808 OD
Timothy
Zen Master
Are we sure this is 100% correct?

Or is this list only the drives that had the drive modeling updated? Because the Micro Amp definitely sounds different. I think I saw Cliff post that the tone shaping was changed on all models?

Or is this list only the drives that had the drive modeling updated? Because the Micro Amp definitely sounds different. I think I saw Cliff post that the tone shaping was changed on all models?
Answering myself.
I should've been more clear in my previous post. Models that show the diode type/qty use the new op-amp/diode algorithms. Otherwise they use the old algorithms. ALL models have had updates to the tone circuits.

Did you see the EDIT in that post?

The amp boosts are just the frequency shaping part of the drive. The clipping stuff is removed. It's analogous to turning the Drive knob all the way down and using the pedal as a clean boost.

Therefore there is no need to update the amp boosts.
Would it be possible to sometime in the future to add a negative boost?(Heh, Cut) Maybe up to something like -6dB. There’s been a few times where I’ve had patches with Input Trim all the way down and I’d use a Drive Block drive with the vol down to clean up the amp & as some pre-EQ. Could be useful in some settings to flip a switch and have an instant cut with those same pre-EQ’s.

Would it be possible to sometime in the future to add a negative boost?(Heh, Cut) Maybe up to something like -6dB. There’s been a few times where I’ve had patches with Input Trim all the way down and I’d use a Drive Block drive with the vol down to clean up the amp & as some pre-EQ. Could be useful in some settings to flip a switch and have an instant cut with those same pre-EQ’s.
Paul Gilbert had an HBE pedal that did that (Detox EQ). Most useless pedal I ever owned lol! I've always had master volume amps but apparently it functioned much the same way as rolling off the volume knob on your guitar.

Actually, you should wish list this. I'd be for it. I recently acquired a guitar that has a busted tone knob and I usually play with it rolled back a little and volume not quite all the way up. It'd be cool to have the "Negative Boost" pedal in the chain at the settings I normally have my guitar set to; then I could turn it off and on rather than having to roll multiple guitar knobs :) We'll go to great lengths to be lazy, eh? ;)

Haha, you're wicked.

But you're also right. The Drives page in the wiki is fully up-to-date, awaiting the final release of 3.02.
An updated edition of the Guide, which contains add. information about each model, will follow within a few weeks or so.

Improvements of the Drive types are everywhere. But some stand out as they went through a total transformation.

E.g., where the previous version of the Blues OD used to require a hefty adjustment to tame it (Tone at zero), it now behaves very nicely at default.

Perhaps too nicely, so don't stop there.

It now makes sense what John Mayer did with this pedal: setting all 3 controls at 3 o'clock. Try it!
Into a Fender model of course.

More of this in the next edition of the Drive Guide.

I've noticed some odd behaviour with the Drive block in the latest BETA firmware.
So far I have only come upon this in only one preset on one particular Drive Channel.

[Attached preset] In the Drive block on Channel B various drive pedal models are passing a 'rumbly' signal but if I change to another pedal it works as normal.
This odd behaviour is not present on the other Drive Channels nor other presets that I have encountered thus far.
I have encountered this on the front panel AND via Axe Edit.

Could somebody load this preset and see if you observe the same issue.
If you select different drive models on Channel B you may encounter the issue otherwise it is oddly peculiar to me.

Attachments

• Mr. Floyd.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Improvements of the Drive types are everywhere. But some stand out as they went through a total transformation.

E.g., where the previous version of the Blues OD used to require a hefty adjustment to tame it (Tone at zero), it now behaves very nicely at default.

Perhaps too nicely, so don't stop there.

It now makes sense what John Mayer did with this pedal: setting all 3 controls at 3 o'clock. Try it!
Into a Fender model of course.

More of this in the next edition of the Drive Guide.

More comments about specific models:
  • Eternal Love (Eternity): the gain increased a lot. Adjust where necessary.
  • FAS Boost: one of the very few models which, IMHO, didn't improve with this firmware. It has become darker and now has even more gain, even with Drive at zero,
  • LED-Drive: I was never a fan before, but now it rocks! (Drive at zero).
  • Full OD: still puts out the thickest notes. Run this into a slightly dirty amp, play leads only and imagine you're Carlos Santana.

I've noticed some odd behaviour with the Drive block in the latest BETA firmware.
So far I have only come upon this in only one preset on one particular Drive Channel.

[Attached preset] In the Drive block on Channel B various drive pedal models are passing a 'rumbly' signal but if I change to another pedal it works as normal.
This odd behaviour is not present on the other Drive Channels nor other presets that I have encountered thus far.
I have encountered this on the front panel AND via Axe Edit.

Could somebody load this preset and see if you observe the same issue.
If you select different drive models on Channel B you may encounter the issue otherwise it is oddly peculiar to me.
You've got the Sample Rate turned all the way down. Don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom