Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new drives are great! Got some time on them last night and just smiled the whole time :D

One thing I noticed that nobody has mentioned: the order of the drive types are now sorted alphanumerically! Nice!

However, performing a reset on the Drive block still gets you the Rat :(

@FractalAudio - can we please, please with sugar on top and a cherry and whip cream, let the Drive block retain the current type on reset? As someone that uses the Drives a lot, this is one pet peeve that I never understood.

...Now many have indicated it’s because of being overwhelmed with parameters, keeping it simple, but if you go back to hardware mindsets, did anyone say they didn’t want a proper tone stack because it was confusing or overwhelming ? No, I don’t think so really, so I don’t know if I really buy into the argument that it’s making it easier to understand...

How is wanting authenticity in tone stacks and amp controls inconsistent? o_O

Bottom line, no one whining about it is going to un-buy the AxeFX3 because it has an option for authentic controls. However, the fact that they are now an option is a a marketing win that could attract new buyers and fulfills a request that, despite the revisionist history being offered by some, has been around for many years. I honestly don't see where all the wailing, gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, etc... are coming from?!?

Last edited:
this tone of kings drive is awesome
Agreed. Gain and Tone at about 1 o'clock and you got yourself the Yellow channel, crank the gain a bit and you got yourself the red channel. Would be nice to have two in one, but I can live with it as it is, as I don't usually stack them. In fact, I would have both sides on and running in different loops.

I think all these feedback (neg & pos) helps to “home in” on the best option.

Having an option available to the user seems the best.

However, I’ve been perfectly content on how FAS has had it since my Ultra days.

Outside of auditioning amps,... when I search for a tone ...every amp is available to me and I start tweaking all the parameters without regard.

Someone earlier said that one of the cool things about the Axe is that you can make a Fender sound like a Marshall, and vice versa. This has always been a bit of a kick in the pants for me though. If I’m auditioning an amp I’ve never heard before, it really helps to know what the control limitations of the real world model are. The generic master tone control on tap previously kept me sticking to what I know, because experimenting with new models felt overwhelming. I love the new option, as it encourages me to try out a Trainwreck without accidentally turning it into a Mesa sound by adjusting params that aren’t “supposed” to be there.

Someone earlier said that one of the cool things about the Axe is that you can make a Fender sound like a Marshall, and vice versa. This has always been a bit of a kick in the pants for me though. If I’m auditioning an amp I’ve never heard before, it really helps to know what the control limitations of the real world model are. The generic master tone control on tap previously kept me sticking to what I know, because experimenting with new models felt overwhelming. I love the new option, as it encourages me to try out a Trainwreck without accidentally turning it into a Mesa sound by adjusting params that aren’t “supposed” to be there.
But the “basic” controls won’t ever do that. Turning up the Mid knob on an amp that doesn’t have one won’t make a Fender sound like a Marshall.

That statement is about the actual advanced amp controls like Transformer Match, Sag, Negative Feedback, etc. Those haven’t changed a bit.

You won’t make a Trainwreck sound like a Mesa by adjusting Depth and Presence.

But the “basic” controls won’t ever do that. Turning up the Mid knob on an amp that doesn’t have one won’t make a Fender sound like a Marshall.

That statement is about the actual advanced amp controls like Transformer Match, Sag, Negative Feedback, etc. Those haven’t changed a bit.

Fair enough. Still, I like the easy simulation of an amp’s actual controls. The way I’ll probably use this feature is to audition amps that I’m unfamiliar with on “realistic mode,” auditioning and experimenting with them based on their stock limitations. From there I might switch back to “FAS mode” to make preference adjustments to known setups on the fly.

I totally see how the unclear lines of “advanced parameters” and settings being in two different locations (or not) makes your job harder, and will probably confuse a number of people. But for me, the ease of use on this product just went up.

So much for giving it a rest, eh? :)

The Mid knob probably isn't the best example to use. How about Master Volume? It has a big effect on how the amp behaves -- some amps are built to get their oomph from the power amp section -- but plenty of amps don't have MV in real life. Which option seems easier for realistically dialing in a non-MV amp: (a) not showing the Master Volume control, or (b) the current system of "assume non-MV if the default value is 10 (or look it up, reset amp block, etc if the value isn't 10 because it may have been changed)"?

I'm with Leon.
Eternal gratitude for everything FAS has given us.... for free!!

After reading most posts here, I have a little suggestion:
What about a "reveal/hide" knob.
On the first tab, one button can be used to reveal/hide buttons that are not on the real amp.

I suggested the same thing about 9 pages ago... Cliff replied to say that they're not taking suggestions at this time. #toomanypostsnotenoughtime

Bug?
I think I've found a bug in the Drive block.
With 'Tone of kings' selected, when I turn the Drive control up to 9.99 or 10.00 the AxeFXIII locks up.
Technically it's not frozen but there is zero audio output at all except a very loud 'blip' when changing between presets.
Reboot solves the issue until I repeat the procedure with the drive block. It happens on any preset.

Bug?
I think I've found a bug in the Drive block.
With 'Tone of kings' selected, when I turn the Drive control up to 9.99 or 10.00 the AxeFXIII locks up.
Technically it's not frozen but there is zero audio output at all except a very loud 'blip' when changing between presets.
Reboot solves the issue until I repeat the procedure with the drive block. It happens on any preset.
My turn! This is known and will be rectified in final release per Cliff ITT. Interim solution is to avoid those settings on that drive type for now. Good spot.

My turn! This is known and will be rectified in final release per Cliff ITT. Interim solution is to avoid those settings on that drive type for now. Good spot.

Sorry if It's been reported ad nauseaum.
I just saw the update thread, duly updated and immediately found the issue, then jumped to report without reading through the previous pages.
My bad.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry if It's been reported ad nauseaum.
I just saw the update thread, duly updated and immediately found the issue, then jumped to report without reading through the previous pages.
My bad.
Cheers.
Eh, personally I’d rather see a bug reported multiple times than not get discovered. If you had to read through 18 pages of thread before reporting, a lot less people would do it. And this thread’s purpose is to do... exactly what you are doing, right? No bad. Cheers to you.

I'm with Leon.
Eternal gratitude for everything FAS has given us.... for free!!

After reading most posts here, I have a little suggestion:
What about a "reveal/hide" knob.
On the first tab, one button can be used to reveal/hide buttons that are not on the real amp.

I'll add a global parameter that allows you to choose between authentic and ideal tone page.

Enough already! By now everyone knows you don’t like it even thought you have the option not to use it.

frozen_wide.0.0.jpg

BUG: I got a bit of a wierd bug here: I have the LovePedal 11 ON going into the Wrecker Liverpool & when I adjust the Input Trim on the Amp it makes a popping/ripping kind of sound.
It’s happened 3 times now, but once I switch to a different pedal & back it stops it’s been intermittent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom