Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather like @jasonmauer's suggestion of a toggle in the Amp page to flip between the two modes. But who knows what FAS will implement, I'm quite happy with it as is. Whichever page, it's pretty easy to get to.
Toggle or page right 1 page, same difference to me. It's still 1 click away to get to the ideal tone controls rather than all the way to the last page.

i don't necessarily agree with this, because is the Mid considered advanced on one amp, but not advanced on another? that's using the word "advanced" as a concept. also, as mentioned above, all of the controls appear on the tab labeled "Advanced" - because they're all there, are they all Advanced? that's using the word "advanced" as a label specifically due to what the Axe3 shows.

This is at the heart of my suggestion to keep the current layout and tabs, and merely visually identify which controls are "stock" on an amp and which are not.

It may be confusing is having to flip back and forth. Say I want to change the 'advanced' mid control that's not on the amp. That tweak makes me want to reach for the treble....but wait, that's on the 'tone' page. Aaaaugh! Maybe solvable by having all of the tone controls appear in a section of the advanced page? This is complicated.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already (didn't see it anywhere), but it seems like another solution could be using color coding or some other visual indicator to distinguish the controls that are present on the amps that were modeled from the additional controls. That way, the 'basic' page could remain largely as it has always been, but you can still quickly focus on the authentic controls if you prefer.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already (didn't see it anywhere), but it seems like another solution could be using color coding or some other visual indicator to distinguish the controls that are present on the amps that were modeled from the additional controls. That way, the 'basic' page could remain largely as it has always been, but you can still quickly focus on the authentic controls if you prefer.
just filling you in, it has been mentioned:

I feel there’s more potential for people to have issue seeing certain colors, or disagreeing with the way it’s highlighted or arranged.

Complaints will happen with whatever choice is made, but I personally think the “highlight” method would be more problematic.
Yup, will then invariably get hundreds of support calls due to color-blindness.
I'm not taking suggestions at this time. Highlighting controls, etc. will not be implemented. It requires way too much work and testing.

I think a perfect solution would be to have a Global option to have Authentic/Ideal/Both
Then under Both you get the Authentic Page up first then one tab over the Ideal Page comes up.
And obviously under the other two Global settings you’d get either or.

For me, I only use AxeEdit so anywhere the parameters show up it’s pretty much going to be a non issue.. but I’ve also been using it for over 10 years so it won’t be hard to figure out where something went or what it is, but that may not be the case for a new(er) user.

I vote for chicken head knobs for authentic controls.

Just kidding, but as long as there is some way to tell which controls go with the hardware amp model I am happy, whether its visual or different pages it is a step forward. I think it would be easier for the user if it was just a visual.. but sounds like that is harder for Cliff.

My thoughts are if you dial up an amp model you are not familiar with, it would be nice to know which controls were on the hardware version without having to go to Yeks amp guide or google. Ya I know, use your ears, why limit yourself, etc.. but if you want to explore the authentic amp first without accidentally going off into other controls to get a feel what the model is all about then this is a reasonable desire.

It's been 10+ years or so since I have had an AxeFX of some sort. While every software update has brought improvements one thing I think has been overlooked is how much better the amp controls respond like you expect them to compared to their real-world counterparts. In some cases people gushed over how much better it sounded I always felt it was just easier to dial in sounds as you would expect. This update makes that even easier.

@chris You know I love you but I feel like you are intentionally trying not understand us simpletons. Of course mids aren't an "advanced" parameter, and even presence isn't really although I'll admit I'm never quite sure what it does. But try to understand it from the POV of someone who's not an audio engineer.

What is input drive? Is that, like, normal drive (gain)? What is input trim - wait - didn't I adjust input trim in the global settings already? What in the world is depth? Is that, like, bass? But then, why's there a bass knob? Why is there a treble and a high treble? I thought treble was already high? Wouldn't high treble be presence (again, no clue what presence is). Input Boost? Cut? Fat? What does the bright switch do and what bright cap setting is best? If I slightly tweak it is it going to have unitended consequences for other stuff? Did THAT affect the presence (still trying to figure presence out...)? Why is there a master volume and a master volume trim? How does the saturation switch and saturation drive differ from the input drive (so help me god if I done f***'d up my high presence treble depth!!!)?

All this, mind you, ALL OF THIS is on the BASIC page in Axe Edit.

I hope it was clear that I was joking a little, but in a way, this is the thought process that I go through. Now, of course, on the unit itself the basic ("Tone") page is a bit less intimidating, but the point is that one man's "basic" is another man's "Nope; ain't even gonna touch 75% of these knobs in case I screw something up (and that's before I've left the first out of NINE possible tabs in the amp block).

I love that we have the options; but I also love that we're gonna have the option to not have to have the options :) I love my Axe Fx III! (and Chris I hope it was apparent I'm just having some fun while trying to make a point; I appreciate your contributions around here)

@chris You know I love you but I feel like you are intentionally trying not understand us simpletons.
i feel i've been straight forward and honest about my statements.

Of course mids aren't an "advanced" parameter
but here is the issue: you're saying "of course it isn't," but some are classifying it as "advanced" in context because it's only appearing on the "Advanced" tab for certain amps, .

But try to understand it from the POV of someone who's not an audio engineer.
believe me, i do understand. 10 years ago, i bought an Axe-Fx Ultra. i didn't know what anything was, the same way you're describing it.

so i researched and learned. i realized that i didn't know how to use a tube amp that well. tube amp users aren't "audio engineers." the terms used in the Amp block are what tube amp users know because that's what it's called there too. i didn't know what the switches or knobs did when i started. with a little bit of learning, i did understand it. barely anything "audio engineer" level.

anything that makes the Axe more simple to use is good. this is moving in a positive direction.

i'm simply seeking clarification of a few terms to help me teach the axe to people daily.

We are dealing with folks who are musicians, not to single anyone out of course.

I think things like presence are pretty simple to understand but no doubt some folks have zero clue what it does.

Don't be silly, everyone knows what that does. You turn it up more to get that Jimmy Page sound from the 7th led zeppelin album :)

Its not misinformation, its semantics. If a control is not adding or subtracting it is in practice bypassed,
These type of circle arguments are baffling, no one can simply say they said something in error. It's not semantics, to bypass means to go around, circumvent, find means of travel other than through, switch to another path. The fact that there is a default setting indicates that the signal is still going through the control. If a control is not adding to or subtracting from the original circuit, it is neutral.

Am I missing something? Many people always asked for authentic amp controls. Cliff adds them. Many people want the other version with more advanced parameter back. Cliff adds an option to use the version of choice. Now many seem to want both types at once? at least that's what skimming through the last few pages of this thread suggest? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom