Press Nav up or down to adjust a different parameter
etc.

vs

turn around, go to front panel
press A knob (Amp 1)
Press Page Right 1 time
Use A-E knobs to adjust multiple parameters as needed
Potentially need to Nav up/down to change rows, or just press D

the bold line in each is where you actually get the thing done. it's much faster with the Tone page vs the Advanced page. this should be pretty straight forward to understand.

the Tone page is first for a reason. every second counts at gigs. having to press buttons multiple times can lead to mis-presses.

Actually a long press on PAGE >> takes you there is half a second and A long press on <<PAGE takes you back in Half a second...
You dont need to page through, you just keep your finger on the button...

here's a Metal Zone and a JC 120 lmao, FW 3.02 beta #2

Dude what kind of pickups do you have and are you using a maple or ebony fingerboard? Cause there’s no way that’s rosewood.. I know what rosewood fretboards sound like & I didn’t hear that coming through on that awesome tone. I could tell you got fresh tubes in there too & 15’s in your cab.
Cool stuff bro! Rock on!! :p

Actually a long press on PAGE >> takes you there is half a second and A long press on <<PAGE takes you back in Half a second...

giphy.gif

The amp modeling hasn't changed as far as I know... The last 2 betas are all about the drives.
For me work flow is everything. Give me a shitty box with great workflow i get great sounds in a few seconds. Give me a genius machine with too many options and clutter and i dont get anything.
Here i get the best of both worlds! HAPPY!

As someone who never cared about authentic vs non-authentic controls, I've got to say I'm absolutely loving the authentic controls on the drives and amps. It works great with my workflow and makes dialing things in less stressful for me.

Thanks to Cliff for making this an option!

Austin

Finally got a chance to play around with this firmware, lost 20 minutes on the Tone of Kings (though for true authenticity, I think you should have to be on a wait list for 2 years before it will make sound when you select that drive type ;-P ), and then lost another hour on the Blues OD. For me the drive types I bonded with most since II days were the FET Boost, the Shimmer Drive, and the Blues OD, and the new firmware definitely has Blues OD sounding better than ever, with the value added benefit that it no longer sounds broken at stock settings (i.e. no more having to turn the tone knob all the way down to get a usable sound, tone control seems to have a much more usable range with this update). Great stuff as always, thanks FractalAudio!

Is it just me or is the output level of the Blues OD much less than before, and also lower than the other drives?

I know the Shred drive wasn’t correct in 3.02-1, but I really liked it ‘broken’. What was changed with it in the second release? I’d like to get that sound back if possible (I actually rolled back to the first release for that exact reason).

Thanks for all of the hard work and continued developments.

As someone who never cared about authentic vs non-authentic controls, I've got to say I'm absolutely loving the authentic controls on the drives and amps. It works great with my workflow and makes dialing things in less stressful for me.

Thanks to Cliff for making this an option!

Austin

It is amazing. I think the given controls are integral to the original design and were probably part of the design philosophy of the original amp, and that's why they work so great for that given amp, Im dialing great tones in seconds. This is changing everything for me.!

Actually, I still don’t prefer going to the last page when the 2nd page is right there and the intended way to adjust basic Tone controls.

It is amazing. I think the given controls are integral to the original design and were probably part of the design philosophy of the original amp, and that's why they work so great for that given amp, Im dialing great tones in seconds. This is changing everything for me.!
It’s probably actually the same tones as before. The thought of “wow I’m turning less things” just makes it seem faster/better.

I don’t see how a mid control there vs. not there is completely changing the resulting tones. *shrug*

But if that’s what does it, then I’m glad we have it.

It’s probably actually the same tones as before. The thought of “wow I’m turning less things” just makes it seem faster/better.

I don’t see how a mid control there vs. not there is completely changing the resulting tones. *shrug*

But if that’s what does it, then I’m glad we have it.

Ill explain- A certain design philosophy works as a whole, Changing controls change the entire signal flow of a given design.
There is a reason why certain controls are on a certain device, They are meant to work in concert with all the other elements.

If you want to voluntarily change the way the original design was meant to operate you still can, but this way the thing works as intended without too much room to alter it. That's what makes the design a 'design'. Again, you can go to last page and bastardize the design to your heart content.

A designer is like an artist, there is a reason for things... thats my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Ill explain- A certain design philosophy works as a whole, Changing controls change the entire signal flow of a given design.
There is a reason why certain controls are on a certain device, They are meant to work in concert with all the other elements.
Sure. But just checking that you know the missing controls aren’t “taken out of the signal path” or anything like that, right? It’s not like the signal isn’t going through the mid knob/circuit just because it’s not on that Tone page.

I still can’t see a tone being infinitely harder or slower to dial in simply because the Mid knob is at 2.00 compared to 0/not there. I’ve been doing this a while and that hasn’t really hurt people before. *shrug* it was more the “omg so many things to turn”, which even you said earlier.

Give me a shitty box with great workflow i get great sounds in a few seconds. Give me a genius machine with too many options and clutter and i dont get anything.

It’s like the number of options make it seem like you have a bad tone. Compared to if you only have 2 knobs to turn, you just “settle” quicker.

Again, whatever works is good!

just trying to help.
No prob. I was illustrating a point with how many steps it takes. It is by coincidence that the Adv page happens to be the last page, so holding the page button works. But if I needed the 2nd to last page, I’d have to hold, wait, recognize it’s there, press page left, etc. a bit less repeatable than knowing how many times to press to get somewhere for sure. Tone is at the front for a reason, and having to go to the last page or so isn’t intended to be quick, or it’d also be near the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom