Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. The global option is great compared to no option! I did ask before but will the ideal option not reset the BMT settings if the amp block is changed thus not eliminating the soft reset? Thanks!
Where is this concept coming from? I’ve seen it several times now.

I'm not taking suggestions at this time. Highlighting controls, etc. will not be implemented. It requires way too much work and testing.

Understood.

FWIW, I personally wasn't suggesting the control highlighting idea; I don't believe that's a good approach to begin with. Some people (myself included) want a page that has just the controls the real amp does. Plus there are cases where amp control names are the same as ideal tone controls, but with different functionality; no amount of highlighting is going to keep that from being confusing.

Where is this concept coming from? I’ve seen it several times now.
Tone page of Amp block now displays controls consistent with model. The full complement of tone and gain controls is available under the Advanced tab. Note: this change necessitates that the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset when changing the amp type. On some models extra controls (i.e. Bright, Depth) are included as common modifications include altering these values.

Tone page of Amp block now displays controls consistent with model. The full complement of tone and gain controls is available under the Advanced tab. Note: this change necessitates that the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset when changing the amp type. On some models extra controls (i.e. Bright, Depth) are included as common modifications include altering these values.
Release notes. See post #6.
I see.

Last edited:
I feel there’s more potential for people to have issue seeing certain colors, or disagreeing with the way it’s highlighted or arranged.

Complaints will happen with whatever choice is made, but I personally think the “highlight” method would be more problematic.
I'm a UI designer by profession. I can help out if need be, but I don't think it needs to be too complicated. All it needs is four states: two are stock/non-stock, and two are selected/not-selected. One more would also take care of the stock control indication in AxeEdit.

Consistency of layout and fewer tabs, along with ready access to fine-tuning controls...several big wins to doing it this way.

I'm a UI designer by profession. I can help out if need be, but I don't think it needs to be too complicated. All it needs is four states: two are stock/non-stock, and two are selected/not-selected. One more would also take care of the stock control indication in AxeEdit.

Consistency of layout and fewer tabs, along with ready access to fine-tuning controls...several big wins to doing it this way.
Don’t you need selected/non-stock, selected/stock as well?

Or big losses. Are you sure you've considered all the ramifications of this? For example, it isn't fewer tabs or ready access when the number of stock controls + Ideal tone controls exceed the number of controls that will fit in a tab page.

And it's still missing the point of simply showing the controls on the original amp. There are users who want to fire up a certain amp model and dial it in with the same controls on the real amp, and they've wanted this at least since the Axe-Fx II days. Mixing in extra controls, color coding, etc isn't just more complicated -- it misses the core use case of matching the amp.

Just watched Chris' video. What happened to the "overdrive" controls of the Angle Severe and the Fryette D60 models? These are shown as "input trim" as with every other amp with only one gain control.

I got it! :eek: Don't need a DS-1 anymore... DS-1 = Rat, Diode 1 1N4148, Diode 2 1N4148, quantity 1+1, Mid Freq 500Hz, Mid -12dB, Low Cut 5.50, High Cut 1500Hz, slew limit 10.

can there be 'zero quantity' on the diodes? that way you can get only op-amp distortion? It just sounds like crappy hard clipping, but it's my favorite of favorite type of drive sound.

4:14 on the video

these drives are so spicy i need a glass of milk!

Just watched Chris' video. What happened to the "overdrive" controls of the Angle Severe and the Fryette D60 models? These are shown as "input trim" as with every other amp with only one gain control.

It’s a beta. Things may or may not need finetuning.

Or big losses. Are you sure you've considered all the ramifications of this? For example, it isn't fewer tabs or ready access when the number of stock controls + Ideal tone controls exceed the number of controls that will fit in a tab page.

And it's still missing the point of simply showing the controls on the original amp. There are users who want to fire up a certain amp model and dial it in with the same controls on the real amp, and they've wanted this at least since the Axe-Fx II days. Mixing in extra controls, color coding, etc isn't just more complicated -- it misses the core use case of matching the amp.

That certainly is one perspective. But we are often encouraged to adjust with our ears, not our eyes. Like I said, I gather it is a moot point.

LOVE IT. Thanks @FractalAudio

The actual controls. Perfect. Resetting tone controls - also PERFECT.
Sure , I suppose changing between variations of the same amp design might benefit from keeping tone settings , but otherwise ..... I like it.
I know you’ve implemented a “keep everyone happy” fix already , but couldn’t you have a COPY TONE CONTROLS tab from the drop down options in edit , then PASTE to each new selected amp model - if desired ?

I think you’ve knocked it out of the park with each new update in the past few weeks. Well done sir. Thank you.

people have been crying for this for years. i am personally not excited for this change and have never supported it, as the workflow is now inconsistent.

very curious what the reaction will be from those who really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, needed this.

EDIT - since this post, we’ve been told this will be an option now. this post was originally written assuming it would only be “original controls” on the tone page only, which i and many others do not want.
It’s going to be more authentic for people that need to create authentic tones and fans of the real amp equivalents

I'm exited to see the KOT, it's been on my wish list for a few years. One of my favorite drive pedals for sure!
Loving everything you've done with this update Cliff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom