Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found a bug. Using the front panel, if I’m in the Drive Block on Ruckus LED and press right Nav to get to Tone of Kings, my unit mutes and Output 1 meters are pegged in the red. Bypassing Drive and changing presets doesn’t fix it. Can anyone else confirm?

As far as the tone page goes. My personal preference would be having the ideal tone page layout with authentic parameters highlighted. That way it’s easy to see the controls on the actual amp, but have some extra tone shaping tools easily accessible.

Could it be that original controls are indicated in a different color or some other way rather than a global switch? This way, all the info is right there & you don't have to go to another menu to change options if you want to see what the original controls were on a particular amp.

This is an interesting idea; the global setting that Cliff put forth is the most elegant solution to satisfy both sides, but I'd like to put the following additional idea out there: leave the current pages intact and add an "authentic tone" page between the amp type and "complete" tone page. I like the idea of having the authentic controls there, but I don't like the other controls being on the advanced page because the parameters are much easier to see at a glance when they are represented by virtual knobs and switches vs. textual/numeric representations alone.

Edit: I see this has now been suggested and one of the nay replies is quite valid. Tone A page: authentic controls. Tone B page: everything else. Again, the purpose is ergonomic - to see the controls represented by their analog counterparts rather than tabular values.

I think I found a bug. Using the front panel, if I’m in the Drive Block on Ruckus LED and press right Nav to get to Tone of Kings, my unit mutes and Output 1 meters are pegged in the red. Bypassing Drive and changing presets doesn’t fix it. Can anyone else confirm?
This is not happening here. Empty preset with just a DRV block in it. Can you try in an empty preset? Might be corrupt or incompatible data in the existing preset that's causing this.

I think that would confuse new users, as there are now 2 bass, mid, treble, etc controls in a similar layout. They’re already confused when Level appears several times. Now one Bass control is Basic bass and another is Authentic bass?
Really? Ok I'm a nerdy old user so I can't really understand how a new user could intepret it but the names and the values would be mirrored, it seems pretty easy to figure out they're the same thing.
Anyway, just shared my idea..

EDIT: this could be a neat solution
Tone A page: authentic controls. Tone B page: everything else. Again, the purpose is ergonomic - to see the controls represented by their analog counterparts rather than tabular values.

people have been crying for this for years. i am personally not excited for this change and have never supported it, as the workflow is now inconsistent.

very curious what the reaction will be from those who really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, needed this.
although I agree that the work flow is better the other way around, I constantly hear complaints about this about every single new fractal user. I guess I'll try and see what I like better! I'm curious to see this though

As far as the tone page goes. My personal preference would be having the ideal tone page layout with authentic parameters highlighted. That way it’s easy to see the controls on the actual amp, but have some extra tone shaping tools easily accessible.
Is the Ruckus LED a new option? There are 2 Ruckus now, and I think we only got that in 3.02 beta 1.

Try selecting a different drive, then back to the LED maybe? Sometimes new entries can skew reference numbers it seems (since “drive 15” is now “drive 16” or something like that).

Really? Ok I'm a nerdy old user so I can't really understand how a new user could intepret it but the names and the values would be mirrored, it seems pretty easy to figure out they're the same thing.
Anyway, just shared my idea..
Yes. Good to share ideas, please do so!

I’m speaking from 10+ years of customer support, a mix of official and unofficial. Duplicate controls confuse people constantly, even those who know the unit and use it for years.

I'll add a global parameter that allows you to choose between authentic and ideal tone page.
amazing, thank you!

I personally like to only have the authentic controls on the tone page because it fits my mind set; go from coarse to fine, start with what the amp actually has and only dive into the advanced parameters should I need to.

It's more organzed in my mind.

But having the option to go with either is just super cool!

This is not happening here. Empty preset with just a DRV block in it. Can you try in an empty preset? Might be corrupt or incompatible data in the existing preset that's causing this.
Is the Ruckus LED a new option? There are 2 Ruckus now, and I think we only got that in 3.02 beta 1.

Try selecting a different drive, then back to the LED maybe? Sometimes new entries can skew reference numbers it seems (since “drive 15” is now “drive 16” or something like that).

It’s not doing it on a fresh preset, so it must have not liked the preset I made in 3.02 beta 1. Glad it’s not a real bug. Thanks for checking guys.

I really like the authentic controls. We have so many amps that it's no hardship finding one that operates the way we want. I suspect that accurate labeling is driving this as much as the frequent user requests. Either way, I'm all for it.

Fixed for the next release. Don't turn the Drive all the way up on the Tone of Kings model for now.

Cliff - since you seem to be in the mood for adding Drive models, do you have any interest in modeling the Barber Direct Drive? I have one I'd be happy to send.

I've also got an original Nobels ODR-1...

I for one would LOVE to have a Nobels ODR-1 in the Axe, I used to have one on a pedal board that got stolen from a venue, loved that pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom