Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea of authenticity is usually better than the reality of it.

My neighbor has a really sweet old GTO, 1965. Looks awesome, fully restored interior etc, BUT, it also has things the original didnt like ABS disc brakes. Also has modern rubber compounds for the tires.

Now you could of course build it up like it was in 1965, but your side not going to stop as easily, good luck in the wet etc.

So what is better ? An authentic car, or one that is mostly the same, but with some modern safety improvements that the past few decades have made possible ?
This has been one of the main things the drew me to Fractal in the first place. You can go way beyond original or authentic if you want. This will just make that a lot harder to do.

I have added a disclaimer to my post. I'm really not trying to stir anything up.
thank you. those of us who live on the forum get it.

but not familiar will see it and think it's true since the Amp block actually did get changed.

I don’t see the tone page thing as big deal either way really. It does save having to look at Yek's manual so that is cool. Anyway thanks for the update Cliff.

Okay, walk me through the thought process...

Your tweaking an amp model, trying to dial in a tone you like, and you go to adjust the mids, right?

Do you then really go to his reference and see if the model had that parameter and if not go “nope, can’t touch it” ?

What is the point in that ? Not really trying to single you out, just trying to understand the thinking...

In the end result, who is going to know or care if you added mids to a tweed ?

Is the audience going to cry foul, that your cheating with a model that isn’t authentic ?

I respect one’s ability to have the choice, but for the life of me I can’t really understand how limiting oneself, is going to increase the usability or enjoyment.

this has been a request forever. though i feel it's one of those things where people think they want something, then they get it, then are like, oh... that's what the others meant when they said they didn't like the idea.

this is a beta. i'm sure we could go back if needed. i'm just very curious how this will play out and i hope people will be vocal about their true reaction to this change.
FWIW, I’m stoked.

Initially, I think it is a great idea...... I will have to play around with it a bit but it seems pretty cool. It is a nice compromise. Simple if you want or complex if you want. Amps Ala-Carte if you will......

Okay, walk me through the thought process...

Your tweaking an amp model, trying to dial in a tone you like, and you go to adjust the mids, right?

Do you then really go to his reference and see if the model had that parameter and if not go “nope, can’t touch it” ?

What is the point in that ? Not really trying to single you out, just trying to understand the thinking...

In the end result, who is going to know or care if you added mids to a tweed ?

Is the audience going to cry foul, that your cheating with a model that isn’t authentic ?

I respect one’s ability to have the choice, but for the life of me I can’t really understand how limiting oneself, is going to increase the usability or enjoyment.
I think for a lot of people it comes down to the purity of it. To have to work within the confines of what was originally available at the time or as it was designed & produced.

I've been a Fractal user and constant presence on these boards for going on 10 years now. I'm going to give the AMP block control update time to bake before I express an opinion on it. I know it's been a long-time ask and one I've never seen the value in having. But I've got 10 years of expressing my opinions and having them listened to by @FractalAudio and crew. Time for some fresh perspectives to be heard, I think.

i'm taking pictures of all the amp models right now. i hope to be finished within an hour.

here is the USA Clean Tone and Advanced tab.

maybe this isn't going to be too bad for us who don't like the change since the Adv tab is nicely organized... but i'll never use the Tone tab ever again.

View attachment 52775
View attachment 52774

I think on a Triaxis rhythm green you can still use both drive/gain controls to slam the signal, that might be one exception to have the extra control.

I think the idea of authenticity is usually better than the reality of it.

My neighbor has a really sweet old GTO, 1965. Looks awesome, fully restored interior etc, BUT, it also has things the original didnt like ABS disc brakes. Also has modern rubber compounds for the tires.

Now you could of course build it up like it was in 1965, but your side not going to stop as easily, good luck in the wet etc.

So what is better ? An authentic car, or one that is mostly the same, but with some modern safety improvements that the past few decades have made possible ?
Nothing got taken away, FWIW. So the analogy is a bit off, IMHO. This is brilliant, I think. A lot of people will find it easier to use. Cliff could rearrange the pages if people find it more intuitive

I'll add a global parameter that allows you to choose between authentic and ideal tone page.
this solves it all. thanks. this isn't normally an option for changes like this, so i didn't think it was considered.

a few things i've noticed along the way, already mentioned, but putting in one spot:

is "Overdrive" and other similar context-based controls supposed to show up on the Advanced page?

the High Cut control on the Class-A 30W amp type is flashing.

@FractalAudio - Thanks for adding the Global parameter!!! Also, is Axe Edit also going to reflect these changes and have a new page for the Advanced controls, and can we have it choose between authentic and ideal?

And, in ideal mode, will the Axe still have to reset the BMT to defaults? Would love it if you could have it retain the values we've dialed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom