Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll add a global parameter that allows you to choose between authentic and ideal tone page.
Thanks! I would personally prefer just having the original controls indicated by a different color or some other way as it would be nice to know what they were without having to go to the global menu & change it back & forth. Also, if you choose ideal, will BMT still reset if you change amp blocks? I sure hope not!

Last edited:
I've been a Fractal user and constant presence on these boards for going on 10 years now. I'm going to give the AMP block control update time to bake before I express an opinion on it. I know it's been a long-time ask and one I've never seen the value in having. But I've got 10 years of expressing my opinions and having them listened to by @FractalAudio and crew. Time for some fresh perspectives to be heard, I think.
I'm with you on this

I like the new layout. I don't get the stir up about having to switch back and forth everything is on the last page isn't it?

download.jpg

If the Amp block would allow "wrapping", it would take only two clicks on Page Left to get from Tone to Advanced.
True, but it used to be zero clicks to get the same thing previously. Cliff stated he would add a global option so it's a moot point now.:)

I like the new layout. I don't get the stir up about having to switch back and forth everything is on the last page isn't it?
If you use non-authentic controls a lot then you have to page right many times to get to the last page.

However, Cliff has already posted a solution.

I think for a lot of people it comes down to the purity of it. To have to work within the confines of what was originally available at the time or as it was designed & produced.

I can understand that to a point, but, at the same time, isn't a modeler inherently "impure" ? By nature we are avoiding issues with needing a certain level of output volme to get the tone we want, we have routing options the original didn't have, we don't need to deal with tubes, maintenance, its easier to transport etc.

I have a camera app on my smart phone that simulates doing a wet plate process style of image. The end photo looks basically like those old style plates did, and it doesn't have any controls, BUT, does that mean its at all like actually taking a photograph using a 19th century method ? No, so I can't really say I'm doing "traditional" photography while working with my smartphone, I'm still doing mobile photography with modern tech.

If we really wanted, we could model lots of limitations into the software. We could make it so that once you powered the unit on, you need to wait in standby for a given length of time before playing. We could model a tube going microphonic, tubes dying etc.

Basically it would be possible to emulates a lot of annoying limitations of hardware, BUT, no one would really want that feature, so we don't do it. I mean come on.... show of hands,.... mandatory 15 minute standby warmup page upon power up ? No one would enjoy that I don't think.

As such, we are kind of picking and choosing when we want to be "authentic" or "pure" etc, but when it comes down to it, its still all and all pretty darn modern.

Because 80% of the amps in the thing I've never even laid eyes on, so having the front panel mirror the amp saves me the headache of research before being able to dig in to it
That could be an argument for not having the original controls too. If you have no idea how an amp is supposed to sound, what difference does it make what controls are there. Dial it in until it sounds good to you or move on if you can't get what you like.

Because 80% of the amps in the thing I've never even laid eyes on, so having the front panel mirror the amp saves me the headache of research before being able to dig in to it
You're missing the smilies in the reply.

Yek wrote the guide... It was a joke (the reply, not the guide;))

There are arguments for both. Therefore it will be an option.

One argument for authentic is I constantly forget that the "Tone" control on a Tiny Terror is actually a High Cut. I instinctively adjust the Treble knob and then wonder why it doesn't sound right.

for perspective, on a gig, i'd have to get into the amp block, then page right a ton, then scroll down a bit to get to the control i want, with more limited control options (Nav arrows, Value wheel only, or interpreting where A-E happen to be at the moment).

with the Tone page, it's typically already selected when you enter the amp block, and the Knob view along with A-E knobs aligned under obvious controls makes it way faster - the reason for the front panel redesign in the first place.

again, since there is now going to be an option, this is a non-issue. but just wanted to share why everything on the Adv page only is a bit cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom