Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.01

hqdefault.jpg

Got another strange question...possible bug? I noticed that the three different Bludo amps all have the tone stack in a different location. Lead is pre, clean is mid, and PAB is post. Seems odd for the same amp at different channels, unless that's a way of changing the lossiness of the tone stack to adjust gain?
Pre, mid and post aren't absolute locations. They're relative to the particular model. In the Lead model there is a buffer and then three gain stages IIRC. Pre means the tone stack is before the three gain stage in this case. Changing it to Mid would put it after the first gain stage.

In the Clean model there is only a buffer and one gain stage. In this case mid means the stack is between the buffer and gain stage. Changing it to pre would put it before the buffer. Since there are only two tubes pre would indicate before the buffer which is not what we want.

In the PAB model there is no tone stack so I put a neutral tone stack after the gain stages (with a fixed attenuation after the buffer). This allows the most flexibility. The HRM case the neutral tone stack is replaced by a Marshall tone stack.

Pre, mid and post aren't absolute locations. They're relative to the particular model. In the Lead model there is a buffer and then three gain stages IIRC. Pre means the tone stack is before the three gain stage in this case. Changing it to Mid would put it after the first gain stage.

In the Clean model there is only a buffer and one gain stage. In this case mid means the stack is between the buffer and gain stage. Changing it to pre would put it before the buffer. Since there are only two tubes pre would indicate before the buffer which is not what we want.

In the PAB model there is no tone stack so I put a neutral tone stack after the gain stages (with a fixed attenuation after the buffer). This allows the most flexibility. The HRM case the neutral tone stack is replaced by a Marshall tone stack.

And here you have it, the reason I just can’t see ever leaving the Fractal family. Try getting that sort of “direct from the creator of the product” answer elsewhere... you won’t see it often, or at all for some folks. I have bought a lot of gear in my day and I can name only one other. It is awesome when you find it. Good show, Mr Chase.

And here you have it, the reason I just can’t see ever leaving the Fractal family. Try getting that sort of “direct from the creator of the product” answer elsewhere... you won’t see it often, or at all for some folks. I have bought a lot of gear in my day and I can name only one other. It is awesome when you find it. Good show, Mr Chase.
There's usually a method to the madness although sometimes it's just madness.

These recent firmware updates may be what gets me to finally sell off my BigSky. I could never put my finger on what wasn't connecting with me about the Fractal reverbs in the past, and I guess the answer is that I just was never looking for realistic space simulations. I'm not the biggest reverb guy in the world, but these new reverbs are scratching the itch for me in a great way.

There's usually a method to the madness although sometimes it's just madness.
It seems those who set the gold standard never end up with the most gold, and there’s some madness in that! Thank God there are people who value doing it right over getting the maximum profit possible. If this is craziness, then stay crazy, my friend. :cool:

Add my thanks to the dogpile, Cliff!

From one in the software industry, you're going 10000 miles an hour compared to the rest of the crowd, so give yourself a bit of rope here. We accept the price of innovation while appreciating your desire for perfection...

I agree. I really appreciate the near-instant turnaround times Cliff and the FAS team give us. I'm currently working with multiple development teams that attempt to use Agile methods while developing and maintaining medical software for a US government agency. But because of government processes and red tape, a bug fix that might take the developers 10 minutes to correct takes 3 to 6 months to get to the end user. (Assuming work on the fix gets approved in the first place.)

Back
Top Bottom