Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.00

Knowing nearly nothing about reverbs, what has this firmware revision changed in the reverb block to allow these new cloudy reverb types? I had the feeling that these were just some extra preset configuration type things, but is it more than that?

Cliff is the "Einstein" of digital processing in the music industry. He completely took this industry to an entirely new level and raised the bar. I realize there is a larger team now, but we have to give Cliff credit for his dedication and hands-on approach. Huge shout out to cliff for such an amazing product.

First I'm checking Cliff's preset, then the new Reverb modes in one of my presets

At 6:27, a preview of a video I'm working on, a Porcupine Tree cover. Except the drums, all you hear is from the Axe-Fx III, including the synth like pads, played on the Suhr. I've yet to finish the full cover, not sure about what to do with the vocals (I'm not a singer) or the MIDI drums, which definitively needs some editing
... jumps straight to 6:27. Sounds great!

Knowing nearly nothing about reverbs, what has this firmware revision changed in the reverb block to allow these new cloudy reverb types? I had the feeling that these were just some extra preset configuration type things, but is it more than that?

from the release notes:

Increased the range of the Low Freq Time and High Freq Time in the Reverb block. This allows for creative reverb sounds. Several new reverb types have been added to illustrate these effects.

That 80's clean sounds incredible with the new verbs. That's one of my favourite PT tunes too, can't wait to hear it finished! Awesome job.

PM me with the cover details (if it's the album BPM, grid time / free time, album key or adjusted, arrangement changes) if you built the cover on top of the album recording exact, I just need an email address.

... jumps straight to 6:27. Sounds great!
So, here's my cover, with the help of @shatteredsquare on vocals - great job dude ! All instrument sounds, except the MIDI drums (which sucks a little), are from the firmware 3.0. New reverbs used and abused !

There were some underlying changes to the algorithms as well an increase in the range of the low/high time controls.

So, here's my cover, with the help of @shatteredsquare on vocals - great job dude ! All instrument sounds, except the MIDI drums (which sucks a little), are from the firmware 3.0. New reverbs used and abused !

Wow, very cool. I liked the chord progression and the lead over the top, and how you layered things. And the vocals were great. Good song!

My two cents. I hear a noticeable improvement in the amp block, particularly in the top end. Up until fw 3.00 I heard some (subtle) artefacts in the top end, that are gone with 3.00. All of this without loosing the high frequencies.

I made a couple of tests, using a Ditto looper pedal in front of the Axe-FX III in order to get scientifically comparable clips.

fw 2.05 (listen to the high end artefact at 0:18)
https://clyp.it/mqgmqeth

fx 3.00 (the artefact is gone at 0:18)
https://clyp.it/ivz3noqk

Same preset (1959SLP), same settings, no channel reset.

Didn't notice that. In fact seems like there are a little more low mids going on.

IMHO the new FM 3.0 seems to have better and greater detail in the upper midrange and highs of the amp modeling, resulting (or not) in slightly emphasized high end bump. I'm listening on Blue mix-fi (flat). Overall the factory patches appear somehow brighter than before. Not sure if the Cab block is contributing also to the the brightness too.

The new Reverbs are awesomeness ....

Ok, I don't know what the hell is going on but I can't stop playing, this is like getting the axe-fx VI... If Cliff said that he changed nothing to the firmware it would be a life changing experience to me. I might be talking shit but it reminds me of when firmware 11 was released for the axe-fx ultra... I couldn't stop playing either.

Bravo, gentlemen! Longtime Porcupine Tree fan, and this is the first I've heard anyone other than PT themselves pull this song off. And you did it brilliantly.

Wow, love this! Really excellent work from both of you.

What sort of processing did you do on the vocals? It sounded like there was a bit of distortion or something in some parts.

Back
Top Bottom