Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.04 Release

I always wondered why the 5150 rhythm channel was missing, but never dared to ask 😂

I felt the same way, like, maybe there's a really really obvious mod you could make to the lead channel. I'm just really happy Cliff went for the Rhythm Crunch regardless! I'm finding I can make it really versatile with overdrive pedals, and it's just awesome. I've recently been feeling like I'd love to have something with the frequency response of the Block Letter 5150, but with the feel of a modded Plexi. This with a fitting overdrive totally gives me that response.

......then fall asleep before I play a single note!

Looking forward to my nap.
+1 on the nappy.

Excited to try this new Drive block too.

Judging by the mad pace of FW updates - it seems the guys at FAS don't get to sleep much!

Maybe they can take a snooze now too?
I'd say they've earned it.

The BluesBreaker is freakin' brilliant in front of the 5150 Crunch. Highly recommend it. Another good contender is the OCD in High Peak mode.
Hello!
It's so frustrating for me that I don't know what it's about!
I have to do a separate investigation of the word usage here!
So: 5150 Crunch - which one is it?
OCD in High Peak - which one is it?
Sorry for being so ignorant!
I learn everything from the forum!
Thanks!

Hello!

Google Translate is pretty good, but this terminology is pretty specialized, so it is likely struggling with some things.

This refers to the model of the EVH 5150 amp, which I think is labeled "6160" in the AxeFX3/FM9/FM3.

This refers to the OCD drive block.

No need to apologize. You are trying to change that, and through a language barrier to boot. Nothing but respect for that!

Thanks!

You're welcome!

This PDF of the blocks guide should have more information about the models mentioned above:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

Google Translate is pretty good, but this terminology is pretty specialized, so it is likely struggling with some things.

This refers to the model of the EVH 5150 amp, which I think is labeled "6160" in the AxeFX3/FM9/FM3.

This refers to the OCD drive block.

No need to apologize. You are trying to change that, and through a language barrier to boot. Nothing but respect for that!

You're welcome!

This PDF of the blocks guide should have more information about the models mentioned above:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf
Thanks!

Hello!
Thanks!

Hey there Jozsef,

I have a habit of referring to the models in the Axe-FX III by their real world counterparts; since the modeling is so accurate, it’s more helpful for me to think of the models in terms of the real pieces of gear they’re representing; that way, if I want to understand better why an amp is designed in a particular way, e.g., I’ll be able easily to find out a ton about it. :) I have often played guitar with the Fractal wiki pages in front of me for the Drive, Amp, and Cab blocks, to know right away what I’m really loading when I dial up a model:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_block

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

The 5150 Rhythm Channel with the Crunch button depressed is the PVH 6160 Block Crunch.

The OCD in High Peak mode is the Compulsion Distortion HP.

The BluesBreaker pedal is the Blues OD.

Last edited:
I've just spent a couple hours playing this new Ownhammer MOABI IR. While I'm sure it's great with all sorts, if you are using a Friedman BE (especially v3), and I'd expect anything with a Marshall pedigree, you need to check this out. It's like a blanket was lifted off the cab. Hoping it's not so redundant as to lessen the point, but between the speaker and drive improvements and whatever other special sauce since FW19 and this IR (BAL 160 +121), I think I'm finally done (for the moment at least) searching. I can't imagine anything sounding better! Thanks @FractalAudio @Admin M@ @ownhammer and anyone else that had a hand in bringing these to us!!!

Hey there Jozsef,

I have a habit of referring to the models in the Axe-FX III by their real world counterparts; since the modeling is so accurate, it’s more helpful for me to think of the models in terms of the real pieces of gear they’re representing; that way, if I want to understand better why an amp is designed in a particular way, e.g., I’ll be able easily to find out a ton about it. :) I have often played guitar with the Fractal wiki pages in front of me for the Drive, Amp, and Cab blocks, to know right away what I’m really loading when I dial up a model:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_block

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

The 5150 Rhythm Channel with the Crunch button depressed is the PVH 6160 Block Crunch.

The OCD in High Peak mode is the Compulsion Distortion HP.

The BluesBreaker pedal is the Blues OD.
Thanks!👏👑👍

Thank you Cliff and everyone at Fractal for your commitment to your craft. It really does make a difference, not just in our tonal pursuits, but in our artistic outlets from and in reaction to an at times, very stressful environment.
Yeah man. Axe FX is good stress relief. Many people haven't had the shit choked out of them thanks to you guys. So I guess that makes you life savers and humanitarians.

One thing that's always bothered me about the Block Letter 5150 (and I felt this way about the real one too) is that I could never get a neck tone I really liked with it, compared to the awesome bridge tones. I was playing around with that just now, and I found that if you take the new 5150 Rhythm Crunch Channel (the PVH 6160 Block Crunch model) and put the Butler Tube Driver 3-Knob version (the Tube Drive 3-knob model) in front of it, you can absolutely get those great 5150 bridge tones, but with an insanely better neck.

I am going thru the drive blocks to see what the CPU is now for the drive blocks I usually use. I started with an empty preset and noticed the CPU bouncing around a lot in a totally empty preset.

Why does an empty preset constantly bounce between 4.2 and 4.3, sometimes bouncing up to 4.5, 4.7, 5.2, 5.3, 5.6, 5.8, 6.2, 6.5, or 6.6 CPU?

I am going thru the drive blocks to see what the CPU is now for the drive blocks I usually use. I started with an empty preset and noticed the CPU bouncing around a lot in a totally empty preset.

Why does an empty preset constantly bounce between 4.2 and 4.3, sometimes bouncing up to 4.5, 4.7, 5.2, 5.3, 5.6, 5.8, 6.2, 6.5, or 6.6 CPU?
Still takes cpu to load an empty preset.

Empty preset bounces between 4.2 and 4.3, sometimes bouncing up to 6.6 CPU.
With only one drive block here is what the CPU shows for these choices:

Fuzz Face = 7.7, 7.8 up to 10.6
Bender Fuzz = 6.6, 7.8 up to 9.7
PI Fuzz = 7.8 up to 10.5
Octave distortion = 6.7, 6.8 up to 9.7
Klone Chiron = 12.4, 12.5 up to 15.6
Shur Riot LED.SI (M) = 12.9 up to 16.5
T 808 Mod -= 12.6, 12.7 up to 16.0
T 808 OD = 12.6, up to 14.08
Valve Screamer VS9 = 12.6 up to 16.0
Maxoff 808 = 12.6 up to 16.01
BB Pre = 12.6, 12.7 up to 16.1
BB Pre AT = 12.6, 12.7 up to 16.1
Esoteric ACB = 12.6 up to 16.4
Esoteric RCB = 12.8 up to 15.7
Mid boost = 7.7 up to 10.7
Micro Boost = 6.5 up to 9.5
Compulusion Distortion HP = 12.5 up to 16.0

It looks like they are mostly constantly bouncing around by about 3 to 3 and 1/2 CPU.

I really love the BB Pre AT! What a great pedal.

Back
Top Bottom