Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.03 Release

It's been said before in this thread - this update has been fantastic for tones!! I use primarily use 5153's and they all sound freakin' amazing.

Before this update, I used several parms to get weight, kind of an under-thump if you will, in my single note lines especially in the higher registers. It was always a compromise to keep the overall tones punchy and clear. This update does it so nicely without compromise. I feel like I'm playing my old tube amps.

The curve may look like that, but that’s what they do to the sound. A higher curve means more distortion, which equals compression, so what looks like a mid dip is actually allowing clean miss through while the highs and lows are distorted/compressed.
Thanks for the info. I did not understand how the DynDst block worked.

The new "Klone" drive block is just killer - and spot on, so excited! Loving 20.03 so far!

Today I A/B tested the new KLONE drive block against my own beloved Klon Bill Finnegan sent me back around 2007 (my real Klon does not have a Centaur imprinted on it... this is when he went from Gold to Silver cases, but he was super nice enough to send me one of his last Gold case ones he had still, but without the Centaur).

To my delight, matching it how my real one sounds was quite easy! After looking at a little RTA as well listening to both, I just had to boost the the KLONE's Bass Response (in Advanced Tab) up a little in clean/low boost gain settings, and cut the Treble knob a little more than I would on my normal Klon. That was it.

Now, to be sure, I ran my real Klon in front of the III's input (so there is buffer after it at Input), but it seemed not to make any difference (it does a little with Fuzzes when I try to recreate those in the drive block).

Attaching my own personal KLONE Block here for you guys, based on what I used on the real one (white markings). Mainly I used it as a clean boost honestly, with gain almost off. To use this, download and then copy into your BLOCKS folder. (Then refresh next time you start you editor. You must be on the latest firmware and editor of course).

I dialed this KLONE drive block in today using my "Vintage Bogner Ecstasy" LiveGold preset, on Scene 1 "Low Blue", using a '64 RI Strat, both neck and bridge pickups. I really can't tell the difference between the real deal and the new drive block model using this.

The main thing I had to do to match my real one up with the drive model was this: in Advanced tab, raise the Bass Cut for the clean boost (Channel A) up to about 6.6, and cut the Treble on the Basic back a little more than I would on the pedals knob, to about 3.64. Then, I had to lower the bass cut and raise the treble knob, as you increase the gain from there, for the B, C and D channels settings that have increasing gain.

I am seriously thinking of selling my Klon now, since this new drive model is so spot on thanks to Cliff's genius. The guys in town at Austin Guitar House said I could probably get $5,000 for it selling through them -- which is insane, considering I bought it for $279 in 2007.

Enjoy!

. View attachment 105450
Just wanted to say THANK YOU @austinbuddy, for sharing your settings for the klon - I did a drop in replacement of the T808 I was using in pretty much same way and... I like it a LOT more :) And.. now I try to include it in all my presets :D

And... THANK YOU @Cliff for adding Klone! I am very new to Fractal world - got my first Axe-FX III Turbo perhaps a month ago and... I already hade to update the firmware twice and every next one is just making this device even more amazing :) Now I am spoiled I guess :(

John Mayer is a big Klon user and he’s been using a Fractal lately, I wonder if that was a personal request or just a coincidence…Either way I’m glad that we finally got it, cant wait until it gets released for the FM9! Many thanks 🙏🏻
Yeah now we only need a real Two Rock clean model, it's sad when people on YouTube try to mimic Mayer tone using J35 model which is a 35W dirt amp.

From 20.02 release notes:
Existing presets are automatically updated to use the updated curves if “Update Pre-20.02 Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load” is set to YES.

I'm not sure this is working correctly when set to YES.

For older (< FW 20) presets, it doesn't appear to be loading the amp's correct default curve (i.e. the curve that would load with amp reset).

Back
Top Bottom