Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.03 Release

you might facepalm hard, but fuzzy faces love Zinc instead of Alkaline :D

It's true, and something like a Fuzzface is SO intensely voltage dependent that the pedal
will sound different in relation to the voltage output of the battery. Less voltage more choke.

Carbon zinc is where it is at. :)

I have had extensive conversations with a renowned pedal builder who has a global reach and
he knows this is a real thing. In spite of what the uninitiated might otherwise contend and suggest.

By that point, about all that was left of NOS stuff from the golden era was the stuff that wasn't so great....
I actually got my hands on some real deal old Mullards. Back on the Plexi Palace forum I found a guy that was local that had a 'collection' and I talked him into selling them to me. We hung out for an afternoon and tried a bunch of different tubes. He'd bias my amp, etc... It was really cool. But the Electro Harmonix tubes seemed to get to that hot glassy, tubey zone after heating up. I don't know how else to describe the sound/tone. I hear it in Blackmoore's tone (Rainbow's 'Stone Cold') for example. The Mullards sounded good and lasted forever. There was definitely a consistency with the old Mullards but I never got the mojo I was hoping for. And honestly, me or you guys may be the only people who could tell a difference.

Still wondering about my original; question ? thanks

Quick question that USB fix file is that still needed or is that in latest release and I can dump it ? thanks

The ability to speak does not make one intelligent. Nor does the ability to play guitar. Idunno if EJ's stupid or not, but I've met plenty of talented people in my life who've been sucked in by snake-oil wholesale. People I'd otherwise have thought were relatively intelligent.

Maybe it's possible that varying aspects of 9V batteries (such as inconsistent voltages across its lifespan, I guess?) can have an effect on a powered analog circuit. The entire concept just sets off my BS meter, though. And hard. Not to say that it necessarily is bullshit, I guess, but my immediate reaction is still something like...

View attachment 105367
It's ok that you don't understand. But the information is out there if you want to. Voltages can make a difference, not always good one, impedance also does. It is a real thing, and not snake oil.

I actually got my hands on some real deal old Mullards. Back on the Plexi Palace forum I found a guy that was local that had a 'collection' and I talked him into selling them to me. We hung out for an afternoon and tried a bunch of different tubes. He'd bias my amp, etc... It was really cool. But the Electro Harmonix tubes seemed to get to that hot glassy, tubey zone after heating up. I don't know how else to describe the sound/tone. I hear it in Blackmoore's tone (Rainbow's 'Stone Cold') for example. The Mullards sounded good and lasted forever. There was definitely a consistency with the old Mullards but I never got the mojo I was hoping for. And honestly, me or you guys may be the only people who could tell a difference.
EH worked with the Russkies to get things closer to the old golden-era stuff. Sad that's stopped now, though it is likely the smallest, least consequential thing to be sad about in that situation.... Toxic ego and power are a bad combination....

In happier news, I did get a nice collection of old TOOBs with the '53 LP amp. A nice collection of NOS 6SJ7s, a few others. Probably a lifetime supply at the frequency that I turn the TOOB AMPs on. They are TOOB LOUD for around the house....

I guess EJ is talking about battery sag, this is a common issue with less quality batteries.....alkaline batteries will sag a lot less than zinc caused by a different internal resistance. Some manufacturers of power supplies such as Voodoo Labs included this "effect" to their products.....

It's not just voltage sag.
GigRig's virtual battery has variable ‘sag’ to emulate the ‘dying battery’ effect.

https://shop.thegigrig.com/virtual-battery/
They also match the impedance of a carbon zinc battery more closely. It is pretty cool.

If a Variac (variable voltage) impacts the tone of an amp, and we all know it to be factually true,
then how and why would variable voltages and impedances from batteries NOT impact the
tonal output of a pedal??
I don't remember, are battery voltage and impedance exposed as parameters in the Axe fuzzes and drives? Seems they should be maybe.

Last edited:
It's ok that you don't understand. But the information is out there if you want to. Voltages can make a difference, not always good one, impedance also does. It is a real thing, and not snake oil.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong about objectively measurable stuff, I totally dig learning new things.

And having looked into it I agree it's a real thing and not snake oil, just not a thing that appeals to me:

Aight I admit that's a compelling video. Although I still don't see the appeal. It just sounds like another drive knob

And I still feel putting stuff like "X sucks your tone" on a product is garbage marketing.

The foot pedals are usually operated with a 9 V battery!
But!
Ever since there have been noiseless power supplies! "Network Brumm!"
The power supply connector is there on every foot pedal!
Because a designed foot pedal was not designed for fluctuating voltage and not for a dead 9V battery!
This 9 Volt battery is a mystery, a fool! I think so!
If a ripple control voltage is required?
Such as Chorus, Flanger...etc.
Then there are the oscillators, and any signal can be produced with them!

KLONE - simply brilliant!
You can't make a bad sound with it!
No matter what I put on it, it doesn't ruin the sound!
I put only one KLONE block in all my presets!
Thank you very much for that!
And the effect is not placebo.
After all, it's the third day I'm just skinning the guitar!
It's good that I have this weekend off!

I just have to say tat I just spent the last 6 hours playing guitar. This latest firmware with the drive block improvements was JUST enough to get the creative juices going again. I finally did a pickup swap on a guitar that I've been meaning to do for months and it really is the right fit. I was just switching between guitars I hadn't played in a while and each one had a different tonal sweet spot going through my main kitchen sink preset. The Klone drive was what I needed on my leads. I like the Maxoff 808, but the Klone adds something.

Hadn't had this much fun playing guitar in a LONG time. Thanks for the continuous improvement Cliff & team!

Quick question that USB fix file is that still needed or is that in latest release and I can dump it ? thanks
@rsvette12
DSP firmware (which this thread is about) does not include USB firmware. So updating the DSP firmware does not update the USB firmware. Each of these updates have to be done separately. As stated here the USB firmware update "is recommended for all Axe-Fx III units with USB versions older than 1.14", i.e. independently from the DSP firmware version. So, yes, the USB firmware update is still needed unless you already updated to 1.14.

@rsvette12
DSP firmware (which this thread is about) does not include USB firmware. So updating the DSP firmware does not update the USB firmware. Each of these updates have to be done separately. As stated here the USB firmware update "is recommended for all Axe-Fx III units with USB versions older than 1.14", i.e. independently from the DSP firmware version. So, yes, the USB firmware update is still needed unless you already updated to 1.14.
Thanks much appreciate it - I have latest for everything - what I was confused about is you use fractal bot to load a syx file - I would assume the new usb install takes care of that now and I dont need to load that syx file now ? I think that was a quick fix at the time

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong about objectively measurable stuff, I totally dig learning new things.

And having looked into it I agree it's a real thing and not snake oil, just not a thing that appeals to me:
You may not be into those pedals that get augmented by such things, or may not care at all. That is totally fine. But for those that do, it makes a difference.

whether the battery affects tone or not, it isn’t operationally feasible for me. My fuzz face build sits on a pedal shelf in my rack, plugged in all the time. Batteries just don’t make sense for me.

Back
Top Bottom