Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.02 Release

I noticed that using the big dial flips through presets much faster - anyone know when that was introduced? I don’t recall seeing that in any release notes.

Btw, I’m quite glad for this, since I can’t use Axe Edit while in Pro Tools.
Hey there

That would be somewhere around V20.00
I recall reading about it in the comments.

Cheers 🍻

Is this just an override setting when you turn on the unit each time? Meaning you can turn it off to revert to 20.01 behavior and reboot?
I'm pretty sure what it does is when it's set to Yes, when presets load that haven't had the new SICs loaded it automatically updates the SIC to the new version, overriding any customizations you've done to that particular preset's curve. If it's set to No, it doesn't do that.

However, once that update has been done, it's not going to remember the original version, so no, there's no way to go back to the older SIC or your old customizations of it.

I'm pretty sure what it does is when it's set to Yes, when presets load that haven't had the new SICs loaded it automatically updates the SIC to the new version, overriding any customizations you've done to that particular preset's curve. If it's set to No, it doesn't do that.

However, once that update has been done, it's not going to remember the original version, so no, there's no way to go back to the older SIC or your old customizations of it.
Thanks for clarifying. Do it require you to save the preset first to keep the new SIC? Like if I’m just scrolling through various presets without saving anything it sounds like it is still saving them in the background?

Thanks for clarifying. Do it require you to save the preset first to keep the new SIC? Like if I’m just scrolling through various presets without saving anything it sounds like it is still saving them in the background?
DISCLAIMER: Only Fractal knows for sure :)

I think you have to save it, which means that there's no fully automated way to update the curves in all your presets at once.

I'm pretty sure that at one point it was said that with this set to Yes, presets where that SIC update happened would appear to be modified, i.e., Save button was enabled. Makes sense, it has been modified, even if you didn't do it yourself exactly.

However, I haven't seen that happening since the final release came out. Maybe I haven't happened to look at any presets whose SIC was updated, or maybe I missed it, or maybe the final release changed how this part of this works. Bottom line, I'm not sure about this piece.

@FractalAudio @Admin M@ can you clarify?

I noticed that using the big dial flips through presets much faster - anyone know when that was introduced? I don’t recall seeing that in any release notes.

Btw, I’m quite glad for this, since I can’t use Axe Edit while in Pro Tools.
The main encoder scrolls in bigger increments based on how fast you move it. It's always been this way...

DISCLAIMER: Only Fractal knows for sure :)

I think you have to save it, which means that there's no fully automated way to update the curves in all your presets at once.

I'm pretty sure that at one point it was said that with this set to Yes, presets where that SIC update happened would appear to be modified, i.e., Save button was enabled. Makes sense, it has been modified, even if you didn't do it yourself exactly.

However, I haven't seen that happening since the final release came out. Maybe I haven't happened to look at any presets whose SIC was updated, or maybe I missed it, or maybe the final release changed how this part of this works. Bottom line, I'm not sure about this piece.

@FractalAudio @Admin M@ can you clarify?
Yeah I agree it’s just not very clear how it works with previous presets like the factory presets. I have it set to YES but I don’t know if I need to change something and then hit save for it to update or what the exact steps are. I agree the process could be a little clearer unless I’m flat out misunderstanding.

Absolutely amazing....I love this device and the tone is other worldly......Cliff are you sure you are not some sort of Alien from outer space? :)

Thank you Fractal for your never stopping work to make this thing always better, just Updated to 20.02, but didn't find the Speaker Impendance Update setting!
Please, can somone help me to find this setting?

Edt: Found it myself in SETUP - GLOBAL SETTINGS - MODELING!
Thanks for the tip on where to find it

How do you determine which low and high cut filter setting to use in the cab block preamp section? 12DB/Oct or 6? I've been using 12 for as long as I can remember but I noticed some factory and some user presets vary, is there a determining factor? Ears?
Steeper cuts seem to help the band mix a bit more, but you may prefer to be selfish tone wise! They can always make cuts on the mains.

I found something strange. I have a preset with 2 amp blocks. I have a pitch block with scene ignore. If I change scenes that use amp block 1, it works as expected. If I go between amp block 1 and amp block 2 when changing scenes it remembers the last state of the amp block. is this intended? To get scene ignore throughout the preset, you must sync the status on scenes that have it on/off before switching.?
Of course, it was my fault. I just realized that scene ignore must be set for all channels. Sorry!

@FractalAudio I believe there's a bug with the speaker thump control on the dirty shirley amps. Cranking the DS and then raising the thump knob basically makes the amp sound like a tube rectifier is exploding, very squishy and not thumpy.

Attachments

• ds thump.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
@FractalAudio I believe there's a bug with the speaker thump control on the dirty shirley amps. Cranking the DS and then raising the thump knob basically makes the amp sound like a tube rectifier is exploding, very squishy and not thumpy.
This is to be expected. You have Thump set very high. Thump is a nonlinear process and you've essentially pushed the speaker to the point that the voice coil is traveling well outside the magnet gap. Turn Thump down.

With a real speaker and amp you would have destroyed the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom