Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.02 Public Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's considered bad programming manners to stomp on data the user has explicitly set.

Sometimes it's unavoidable, but, if so, we're supposed to tell the user to not move forward if that is going to happen. It's all part of helping them feel in charge of their system and their own destiny.

Computer programmers aren't heartless bastards. That job is owned by system administrators.
+1 - though I like having the SIC curves active, I've taken to lowering hi/lo res on a lot of my presets because I find all of them extreme. I'm sure they are accurate but to my ear hi res in particular usually sounds harsh set higher than around 3.

Would be great if there could be a few "custom" curves set initially flat for us to tweak and that would never be updated by a subsequent fw updates. These could also be used to enter data from measurements of our
own unique cabs (though its unclear to me still if there are material internal data points associated to SICs that are not exposed in the UIs).

though its unclear to me still if there are material internal data points associated to SICs that are not exposed in the UIs
Yes there are. turn both low and hi res down to 0 and you'll still see some peaks in the curve, you can increase/decrease their intensity via the cab resonance knob but you can't shift their frequency or change the Q.
I guess these are stored as a simple frequency response while the main low and hi resonances are "translated" to be editable via the available parameters.

Wut? There is no "crossover frequency" and the last few sentences are incomprehensible.
Sorry, I had left my rehearsal room and couldn't remember the names. Xformer low freq and High freq. Those setting are different in some of my presets even though I updated them and I'm using the same SIC. One preset will have different Xformer and High freq settings than another using the same SIC.

View attachment 104617

And if I understand Cliff, this will be made into something like "Update [20.x] Speaker Imp Upon Load" with YES being 20.02b2 behavior while NO would not update any SICs. (Or vice-versa if something like "Lock Speaker Impedance")
Sounds like that means if we don't want our curves to change when 20.02 comes out, we should set that setting to yes BEFORE updating, otherwise at minimum the curve in the current preset will get rewritten. Is that right?

Conversely, if we DO want all SICs to be rewritten to current spec, how could were do that? Leave that setting on no, then what load every preset one at a time? Is there (or will there be when there new firmware is out) any way to get them all to update?

Sorry, I had left my rehearsal room and couldn't remember the names. Xformer low freq and High freq. Those setting are different in some of my presets even though I updated them and I'm using the same SIC. One preset will have different Xformer and High freq settings than another using the same SIC.
Those parameters are not associated with the SIC. They are set by the amp model.

possible stupid question ahead - why wouldn’t you want to update it ?
Here’s roughly how this goes:

Fractal: parameters automatically update to new values.
Users: Noooo! My custom settings!

Fractal: you have to manually switch the thing to get the new values.
Users: oh noes! I have over 9000 presets to update by hand!

Fractal: ok, here’s a parameter so you can choose if it updates automatically or not…

With all the hand wringing over SIC's, I never even knew they existed until the last week, and really do not hear or experience a difference in the FW updates since Cygnus.
Cliff could stop now and say GFY and we would all be fine.
It has already surpassed anything we could have hoped for quite awhile ago.

Yes there are. turn both low and hi res down to 0 and you'll still see some peaks in the curve, you can increase/decrease their intensity via the cab resonance knob but you can't shift their frequency or change the Q.
I guess these are stored as a simple frequency response while the main low and hi resonances are "translated" to be editable via the available parameters.
thanks! - yes the cab bump's Q and freq are def 2, If those are the only other parms we need to input a full custom cab measurement, then would be great to have those exposed along with a few custom SIC slots.

Sounds like that means if we don't want our curves to change when 20.02 comes out, we should set that setting to yes BEFORE updating, otherwise at minimum the curve in the current preset will get rewritten. Is that right?

Conversely, if we DO want all SICs to be rewritten to current spec, how could were do that? Leave that setting on no, then what load every preset one at a time? Is there (or will there be when there new firmware is out) any way to get them all to update?
We might need to wait for the next beta or final 20.02 to know how it will work for sure.

But AFAIK it would only affect preset loading. When loading any preset with amps in it OFF would not override the SICs in the currently loaded preset, while ON would update the SICs. You could chose to resave the preset or not.

Part of 2 I can't answer, if you mean literally updating and resaving all presets with the latest SICs.

Last edited:
We might need to wait for the next beta or final 20.02 to know how it will work for sure.

But AFAIK your 1-2 as written are not logically accurate. The setting doesn't have to do with FW updating. And it won't overwrite saved presets at all. It would only affect preset loading. When loading any preset with amps in it OFF would not override the SIC that is in the saved preset while ON would update the SIC. You could chose to resave the preset or not.

Part of 2 I can't answer, if you mean literally updating and resaving all presets with the latest SICs.
Going back to the post I was replying to, far as I can tell, this setting is exactly about how/whether SIC changes in new firmware are applied to existing presets or not. And when when they are applied, it's not an automatic bulk update, it happens only when you load each preset.

But you're right, we'll have to wait for the full release (at least I will) to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom