Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.01 Public Beta 2 (Beta 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That buzz on top of the fundamental is part of the sound. It's also referred to as "fizz". It's authentic, real amps have it too.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...le.2C_intermodulation.2C_crossover_distortion
I never saw that article in the wiki before. Bloody comprehensive!

There's a reason we tend to notice this more with modelers:
I've noticed the same things in people's reaction to pick attack on the Axe-FX. Some folks think that's an artifact. But "real" amps do the same thing.

I think part of the problem is that the Axe-FX produces good tone at low volumes. Tube amps don't, so folks are used to hearing tube amps at higher volume, where these "artifacts" are perceived as "part of the loud." They're not used to hearing the same tonal character at lower volume, so they hear it as artificial.

In fact, that whole ten-year-old thread is worth a read:

High end fizz...is this normal?

Last edited:
Wow, Thank You to everyone for coming in on this! You guys are awesome. This is such niche knowledge, and I appreciate the education. To clarify further, I didn’t think this fizz had to do with improper modeling. But some phenomena of real amps, like ghost notes, can be mitigated by modeling, like increasing the B+ Constant or switching to DC, e.g., so I just didn’t know if that were possible here. Absolutely all these responses are very helpful to me to learn more based on the things you guys have suggested here. The idea that this could be preamp overload strikes me especially strongly, because, like I said, it can easily be mitigated by decreasing input level.

And sorry to derail this thread in a major way. Since the new model was what prompted me finally to ask the question, I posted here without thinking, and I should’ve created a new thread. Of course, if some poor bastard wants to move this conversation to a new thread to clean this up, that’s probably the right thing to do.

Much appreciated for everyone’s thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom