Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement seems to be in contradiction with this post though.
Both you and Jay Mitchell have stated several times in the past that speaker breakup is a myth, so it seems you have discovered something new that made you change your mind..
Interested about this as well, as I remember that thread. 🙃

Possible bug, the presence knob on the PV Block letter on the ideal page is labelling the knob as a high cut, it shows presence on the tone page if I turn the negative feedback to 0

Weird bug. On all my presets I have a switch on my FC-12 set to turn on and off a Filter block for a lead boost. Now with this firmware that same FC-12 switch on all presets is set to turn on and off the AMP 1 block. Edit: A couple of other FC assignments in some presets screwed up also.

Last edited:
Interested about this as well, as I remember that thread. 🙃
Don't think I followed that discussion when it occured but it did occur to me when I loaded up this fw and set SD to 2 and higher, that I was enjoying what SD does much more than I expected - I've stayed away from SD in the past as I understood speaker breakup to be flubby and bad. Here's a case where I'm going with "dunno why but if it sounds good tiz good".

Most of the improvements in modeling have been aimed at improving the accuracy with which the model follows the real world physical characteristics of amps and speakers.

Dynamic Distortion hints at different possibilities—models that create new or exaggerated sounds that do not (or could not) exist in real world tube amps. It might be worth thinking about ways of pushing this envelope further with the goal of creating new, innovative sounds that don’t exist in the world of real tube amps.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Block Mixer” algorithm results in faster/quieter scene and channel changes. This new algorithm allows placing Amp blocks in series without the concomitant sound bursts that would normally occur when switching scenes.

New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.

Added new “Dynamic Distortion” block. This effect distorts the input signal dynamically, applying more distortion to different frequency ranges depending upon the shape of the filter. When the signal level is low the output will be the same as the input. As the signal level increases more distortion will occur in those bands boosted by the filter shape. This is a powerful tool for final shaping/mastering of your tone. The block contains a handful of presets which demonstrate the basic technique.

Fixed Amp block Scene Ignore not being recalled correctly in some cases.

Various other fixes and improvements.

NOTE: THIS FIRMWARE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF AXE-EDIT. A NEW VERSION OF AXE-EDIT IS REQUIRED FOR USE WITH THIS VERSION.
Yo Yo Ma! Boutros Boutros Ghali!

Most of the improvements in modeling have been aimed at improving the accuracy with which the model follows the real world physical characteristics of amps and speakers.

Dynamic Distortion hints at different possibilities—models that create new or exaggerated sounds that do not (or could not) exist in real world tube amps. It might be worth thinking about ways of pushing this envelope further with the goal of creating new, innovative sounds that don’t exist in the world of real tube amps.

Im also hoping we get some more new frontier ideas - perhaps now perhaps in the next gen.

Is the switching only improved when going between the two amp blocks in series? Is it also faster between channels in the same block?

Trying to plan a couple preset tweaks for whenever I next get to sit down and mess about on the Axe.

I'm no Jay or no Cliff obviously. But it seems to me that speaker breakup is believed to happen after many hours of use : the fundamental tone of the speaker change after that time, the highs sweeten etc (says those who believe it exists)
speaker distortion happen each time you push the speaker - that includes a new speaker that has not been broken up (again, if that exists)
Not sure I got it 100% right but damn sure I broke 1 or 2 English rules there

I'm no Jay or no Cliff obviously. But it seems to me that speaker breakup is believed to happen after many hours of use : the fundamental tone of the speaker change after that time, the highs sweeten etc (says those who believe it exists)
speaker distortion happen each time you push the speaker - that includes a new speaker that has not been broken up (again, if that exists)
Not sure I got it 100% right but damn sure I broke 1 or 2 English rules there
I think you mean speaker break in, not break up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom