Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of my patches are near the upper CPU limit on my Mk II (80+%) and are starting to cause problems since the last three FW19 releases (CPU has gone up during those updates a couple of percentage points). Should I expect my CPU usage to go up from this upgrade? Has anyone noticed? I don't have money for a Turbo so I have to stick with what I've got for now.

A lot of my patches are near the upper CPU limit on my Mk II (80+%) and are starting to cause problems since the last three FW19 releases (CPU has gone up during those updates a couple of percentage points). Should I expect my CPU usage to go up from this upgrade? Has anyone noticed? I don't have money for a Turbo so I have to stick with what I've got for now.

For those who are curious, my presets increased anywhere from 1 to 2 percentage points. Bear in mind these are large kitchen sink presets that leverage every I/O on the box. It's clear to me that for my use case I need the Turbo so I just ordered and will sell my Mk II standard once I set up the new one.

I'm thinking about downloading this firmware but I'm curious if the new stuff has a positive effect on the old chunk and pump palm mutes for Metal?

It’s very powerful. But like they say, “with great power comes great responsibility”.

Things I learned using the tool:
  • Do a backup first.
  • Think about what you are changing and the potential to inadvertently screw-up the setting in presets where you don’t want them changed. Finding and fixing mistakes can be a long process so restoring might be the fastest path. See the first point.
  • Identify the presets you want to adjust.
  • Try the proposed change on one or two of those presets, before committing to a mass change.
The backup is the safety net. Always have one.

I won’t say how I learned this, but let’s just say computers are really fast and can do unexpected things if we don’t pay attention to the very small details, like an extra *, and thoroughly test our proposed actions. And that journaling in an OS and a smart sysadmin are good to have.
Definitely! I backup religiously having learned the hard way!

How about adding the speaker drive algo as a compression block model? Might be nice to be able to use it on no-amp patches (piezo or bass for example)

I'm thinking about downloading this firmware but I'm curious if the new stuff has a positive effect on the old chunk and pump palm mutes for Metal?
Not really a metal player but messing around with the new speaker drive, dynamic distortion and the ts-808 gave me the best rock palm mutes to date.

Loving this. Sooo cool. And wow, speaker drive is a whole new world I'm just now getting into. TYVM.

Some bugs I've found, hope this helps this beta out:
  • Effect selections in AE/FC are off by 2 effect types (see example in first screenshot), most likely due to the newly added blocks. Example, in my screenshot this should be Filter 1 for TAP and Filter 1 +1 for hold. Probably AE bug.
  • Reverb channel selections in AE are only A & B (second screenshot). Probably an AE bug.
  • ^Ditto for Multidelay, but only A shows up in AE.
  • Toggling (A, B, C & D) through a bypassed drive block now gives an audible dropout of a couple milliseconds, don't remember it being like that before but I could be wrong!
Super grateful for all the new goodies though.

View attachment 102445

View attachment 102446
Confirm I’m seeing errors similar to these.

Guitar speakers are designed to distort well before they fail. Hi-fi speakers are designed not to distort and if they are distorting then they're close to failure.
This statement seems to be in contradiction with this post though.
Both you and Jay Mitchell have stated several times in the past that speaker breakup is a myth, so it seems you have discovered something new that made you change your mind..

For those who are curious, my presets increased anywhere from 1 to 2 percentage points. Bear in mind these are large kitchen sink presets that leverage every I/O on the box. It's clear to me that for my use case I need the Turbo so I just ordered and will sell my Mk II standard once I set up the new one.
You may want to try and do some additional optimization, even once you get the turbo (a cooler CPU is a happier CPU)! I recently put together a spreadsheet that gives values for each preset and what CPU % they use which, in conjunction with some other optimization, saved me ~20% for my kitchen sink preset. The biggest factors were:
1. When a block is bypassed, make sure it is set to a value/type/channel that has low CPU % (this was about 12% of the 20% I saved).
2. The other big % saver was reducing the IR Length on the cab. That saved me 5-6%. I will still use full IR length for recording, but for live play, not necessary IMO!

Here is a link to that spreadsheet:
Axe FXIII CPU Usage per Block
This spreadsheet was built around FW19.07, and I will be creating a new one adjusting blocks affected by FW20.0, but it is still a good road map to help find places you can shave some %'s! PM me if you have any questions and congrats on the Turbo order!

You may want to try and do some additional optimization, even once you get the turbo (a cooler CPU is a happier CPU)! I recently put together a spreadsheet that gives values for each preset and what CPU % they use which, in conjunction with some other optimization, saved me ~20% for my kitchen sink preset. The biggest factors were:
1. When a block is bypassed, make sure it is set to a value/type/channel that has low CPU % (this was about 12% of the 20% I saved).
2. The other big % saver was reducing the IR Length on the cab. That saved me 5-6%. I will still use full IR length for recording, but for live play, not necessary IMO!

Here is a link to that spreadsheet:
Axe FXIII CPU Usage per Block
This spreadsheet was built around FW19.07, and I will be creating a new one adjusting blocks affected by FW20.0, but it is still a good road map to help find places you can shave some %'s! PM me if you have any questions and congrats on the Turbo order!

Thank you for those tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom