Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be my favorite firmware to date... The new Speaker Drive, sounds absolutely amazing. It adds so much depth to the tone, its almost hard to believe it sounded so flat before... Fender amp with 2.5-3 just feels so much more dynamic than with it off.

The new Dynamic Distortion is also an awesome addition. I really like the presence cut on my telecaster into some amps that can get icepicky, just smooths it out no problem. Really is a great "finishing" tool for getting that last 5% of your tone.

Amazing work as always Fractal. The Axe Fx 3 is without a doubt, the best purchase I have made in my LIFE. Thanks!

I sure hope there ain't no limit on the Wow and Love emojis as I am sure I will be out of them soon at this pace of updates! Thanks to the team that brings us these dreams!! It boggles the mind!!!

I'm guessing near the input, but where do you guys recommend placing the DynDst in the signal chain? Does it matter?
But I’m just wondering, the new Dynamic Distortion block is best placed directly before the amp, isn’t it?
Actually, it was recommended after the Amp, presumably before the Cab block, by someone who knows but shall not be named.

I think the important thing to remember is it's trying to influence speaker dynamics, so logically it'd be after the power amp and before the speaker. I think of it as how the speaker would react to the voltage/wattage being thrown at it by the power amplifier, and how it would flex, and distort. So, to do that it needs to know what's coming out of the power-amp side of the Amp block. Of course, we're free to put it wherever we want because "use your ears, not your eyes."

It's also recommended to pay attention to the Speaker Drive parameter in the Amp block. He who knows said…
Be sure to check out the Speaker Drive. It's the icing on the cake. Dial up a Vibroverb and crank the Speaker Drive to, say, 3 or so and you get that SRV tone.

Last edited:
Exceptional FW!! On the FC12 Layout #6 (Per Preset), you'll need to update some effects that are assigned to switches. Effects that alphabetically come after the dynamic distortion will be off by a couple of named effects and will need to be reassigned. (ex. 19.08FW preset with previously assigned FC12 switch for Phaser 1 (PP#9) becomes PEQ3) Easily edited and TOTALLY worth it as this FW smokes!!

1653367147229.png

The new speaker drive algo is awesome - def feels very balanced and smooth with SD on - makes me feel like I can play better than I can play. 👍 👍

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Block Mixer” algorithm results in faster/quieter scene and channel changes. This new algorithm allows placing Amp blocks in series without the concomitant sound bursts that would normally occur when switching scenes.

New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.

Added new “Dynamic Distortion” block. This effect distorts the input signal dynamically, applying more distortion to different frequency ranges depending upon the shape of the filter. When the signal level is low the output will be the same as the input. As the signal level increases more distortion will occur in those bands boosted by the filter shape. This is a powerful tool for final shaping/mastering of your tone. The block contains a handful of presets which demonstrate the basic technique.

Fixed Amp block Scene Ignore not being recalled correctly in some cases.

Various other fixes and improvements.

NOTE: THIS FIRMWARE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF AXE-EDIT. A NEW VERSION OF AXE-EDIT IS REQUIRED FOR USE WITH THIS VERSION.
So the new "Dynamic Distortion" is a sort of Fabfilter's Saturn.
That's sweet! You actually made one of my wishes on the wish list come true!

Dynamic Distortion works a treat with acoustic/piezo applications too. Try this little preset. Scene names* will explain what's going on.

There's an anomaly* in AEIII 1.12.01 where the previously selected block's Channel Type name is retained when selecting the Dynamic Distortion block.

**Not true. I should have run the Refresh After New Firmware. And I should know that!

Attachments

• Acoustic Piezo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The Dynamic Distortion seems like the very very best way to shape tone for a guy like me who’s rolling off the volume knob on his guitar all the time. The ability to shape the behavior to be different when the guitar is at full output to the amp is completely incredible.
I'm a "leave it on the lead channel at 10 and use the guitar" kinda guy with my combos, and shifted my thinking toward "use a channel on the amp" with how easy it is to set up scenes and channels, but I so much more enjoy diming the amp and letting it all happen between me, the guitar, the amp, and the speaker, mano a mano… kinda. So this will be my secret weapon.

I'm hoping you'll do a video 'bout this.
I did make a video, but it wasn't until I'd finished filming and was editing that I noticed the DynDst Channel Type naming bug*. I thought I should withhold the video to avoid confusion and finger pointing. I can make another once the bugs have been outed and fixed (unless no-one cares in which case I'll upload it.)

*Edit - There is no bug. I should have run the Refresh After New Firmware. :oops:

Last edited:
I did make a video, but it wasn't until I'd finished filming and was editing that I noticed the DynDst Channel Type naming bug. I thought I should withhold the video to avoid confusion and finger pointing. I can make another once the bugs have been outed and fixed (unless no-one cares in which case I'll upload it.)
Don’cha love those “DOH!” moments? :)

I’m looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I have no piezo equipped guitars, though I have a PRS 509 that covers a lot of sounds already, and a piezo would only expand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom