Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to reset all amp channel for major releases, to avoid possibly not picking up changed non-visible parms.
  • backup presets.
  • put an unreset copy of the amp blk/channel beside the reset one.
  • peruse thru each tab looking for differences + apply any found to the reset channel.
Takes for ever to do but worth it imo for major releases.

Question:

If I'm not mistaken, prior to this release it was said that speaker distortion, ie nonlinear behavior of the speaker itself, was generally minimal, and also ratty and undesirable. Does anyone else remember that?

Clearly this new feature is something different.

Is it improved modeling of that same component of speaker behavior? Some new aspect of it? Something else?

9pv4k18f8he81.jpg

Question:

If I'm not mistaken, prior to this release it was said that speaker distortion, ie nonlinear behavior of the speaker itself, was generally minimal, and also ratty and undesirable. Does anyone else remember that?

Clearly this new feature is something different.

Is it improved modeling of that same component of speaker behavior? Some new aspect of it? Something else?
Cliff said it’s the result of a lot of research he was doing.

You know, another journey down a rabbit hole that turned out to have big implications.

And once again he’s proven how scary smart he is. Thank god he’s not trying to take over the world!

Could you tell us at least if it's something that happens in normal operation conditions or only when pushing the speaker past its limit (as it was assumed before)?
What is normal operation? To me, part of the old school Plexi sound is a greenback at the edge. Lots of speaker distortion there. The AC30 sound also include Blues that are pushed behind their limits, although in that case, I perceive it more as speaker compression than distortion. The small fender combos also has speaker distortion as part of their sound. Modern guitar sounds have this far less, as most employ master volumes, and modern speakers can handle far more power

What is normal operation? To me, part of the old school Plexi sound is a greenback at the edge. Lots of speaker distortion there. The AC30 sound also include Blues that are pushed behind their limits, although in that case, I perceive it more as speaker compression than distortion. The small fender combos also has speaker distortion as part of their sound. Modern guitar sounds have this far less, as most employ master volumes, and modern speakers can handle far more power
Then I guess normal operation is a level that doesn't destroy the speaker within 5 minutes 😅

for real!!

here's my strat bridge pickup with a tweaked factory preset 315 (Spandex & Hairspray) which uses the Big Hair model. I have Speaker Drive at ~1.4 and soft clipping Depth Boost Dynamic Distortion after the cab block

Love the Muse medley! Killer tones there, I’m going to have a re-listen later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom