Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the sound to be a lot harsher in every preset. Turning up the Speaker Drive at 2 fixed it. But the percieved change in sound must have been my imagination (also I didn't do a direct comparison to 19.08).

I also have the FC bug. Is anyone else getting noticeably more bass frequencies? My main sound with a Friedman HBE on the left and Diezel on the right has a lot more low end. It just means I need to adjust my PEQ blocks.

The sound surprised me when I started playing. It's a quite noticeable difference in sound than previously. Wish I would've done a before/after recording but the changes are usual subtle. I very much liked the old sound, so I'm getting used to the new one. Like I said, I still need to tweak the EQ to my liking. Overall, things sound more authentic and less produced to me.
Did you reset the amp block on that patch? The reason I ask is because I reset the amp blocks on my main patch that uses an Archon and Atomica in parallel, and afterwards it sounded bassy and muffled until I realized the built in drive pedal that I had on for both models got turned off by the reset. Turned those back on and all was good….best tone yet.

Did you reset the amp block on that patch? The reason I ask is because I reset the amp blocks on my main patch that uses an Archon and Atomica in parallel, and afterwards it sounded bassy and muffled until I realized the built in drive pedal that I had on for both models got turned off by the reset. Turned those back on and all was good….best tone yet.
I did not reset the amp block and the speaker drive started at 0 (where I had it at before) and that had the biggest change to me. It sounded better when I brought it up to 2, although the difference was subtle. I'll have to look to see if some other amp parameters changed somehow.

Ok so has no sense use one with the other..
As I understand it, Parametric/Graphic EQ (in general!) should be used for tone shaping, but Dynamic Distortion should be used for shaping the frequencies at which distortion occurs. For example, I'd use a PEQ like Dimebag to slam the front of the amp with mid-band signal and use another after the amp to scoop the tone. Or Petrucci uses a GEQ after the tonestack in the Mark V to shape the tone after pre-amp. You probably wouldn't use Dynamic Distortion for that, I don't think.

Just really dug into this. Oh my gosh, the Speaker Drive... just a splash and it makes a WORLD of difference. Takes the feel and "chew" of your tone (class A in my case) to the next level. It's so flipping smooth now, in just the right way.

Yes of course.. I was traying to discover these different purposes..
Dynamic Distortion is basically a saturator that is frequency dependant. Therefore, it will add harmonics to the signal based on curve and drive settings.

PEQ is just that an EQ. It can boost or cut frequency ranges, but it can't add anything thats not already there (ie. Harmonics)

There were no changes to the modeling aside from the Speaker Drive. If you had Speaker Drive at 0 then the sound would be identical.
Funny what we hear (probably not funny to you)...I would have sworn things were a little different, but went in and recorded the same things in 1908 and 20 and no doubt...identical.

They can add other things, like maybe a sample setlist to show off that feature. I just expected it based on the new version number. Not sure how often they muck with the presets (perhaps only for new amp models).
They just released new factory presets in March so probably not for a while. There's no set schedule for revised factory presets.

Pretty sure @Admin M@ has said that new presets are currently in the works, and has been
an ongoing process for a few months now.
That’s not necessarily true for every modeler. Updates to the presets occur when a firmware change significantly impacts the factory presets causing a need for them to be “refreshed”, or at least reviewed.

Matt did make a comment a little while back, but it was specific, not general.

I will say that, IMO, these latest changes for the AF3 are good, but the major fix of bumping up speaker distortion could be made by a mass update of presets initiated by the user, which really doesn’t fit into the typical factory preset update cycle that needs lots of eyes and hands on deck. It’s a more subtle change compared to the introduction of Cygnus, for instance.

I made the change to my AF3 factory presets earlier today and it took less than ten minutes… I’m not exactly sure how long it took because I did some quick chores and the updating was finished before I returned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom