Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00 Public Beta (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the improvements in modeling have been aimed at improving the accuracy with which the model follows the real world physical characteristics of amps and speakers.

Dynamic Distortion hints at different possibilities—models that create new or exaggerated sounds that do not (or could not) exist in real world tube amps. It might be worth thinking about ways of pushing this envelope further with the goal of creating new, innovative sounds that don’t exist in the world of real tube amps.
I would guess dynamic distortion is an integral part of the new speaker distortion algorithm, and Cliff saw that it could be more broadly useful and simply chose to make it available as a block. Great choice ♥️

Yes. oops ?
edit : but Jay DID say that speaker break in is a myth, hence my confusion
Break-in is totally a real thing. The new spider and surround will loosen up a little with use and become a bit more compliant. Speaker goes from a little bass shy to more balanced. Easiest way to get past the initial tightness is to hook the speaker to a 12VAC filament transformer to let it hum for a while....

I would guess dynamic distortion is an integral part of the new speaker distortion algorithm, and Cliff saw that it could be more broadly useful and simply chose to make it available as a block. Great choice ♥️
? did i miss something? Dynamic Distortion is part of the speaker distortion? I did not get from the notes that DD is related to speaker distortion.

Weird bug. On all my presets I have a switch on my FC-12 set to turn on and off a Filter block for a lead boost. Now with this firmware that same FC-12 switch on all presets is set to turn on and off the AMP 1 block. Edit: A couple of other FC assignments in some presets screwed up also.
I'm experiencing this also

Break-in is totally a real thing. The new spider and surround will loosen up a little with use and become a bit more compliant. Speaker goes from a little bass shy to more balanced. Easiest way to get past the initial tightness is to hook the speaker to a 12VAC filament transformer to let it hum for a while....
I believe that is what the Speaker Compliance parameter models.

Yes. oops ?
edit : but Jay DID say that speaker break in is a myth, hence my confusion
Ok, maybe I mixed up some terminology and/or some memories but the post I linked to definitely talks about speaker distortion.

Haven't had a chance to look at this yet. Can DynDist block be used like Neurals Parallax bass distortion? Like a wet dry type thing

Just updated yesterday and getting ready for the summer gigs to start! Thanks for the work Fractal!! Aside from the fact that I'm still trying to wrap my head around the scene ignore feature, I would really like to try and use setlists. We only have about 60-80 tunes we will cover this summer. I can load them all and make the setlists for each gig, but we tend to wander a bit from the setlist each night and I'm wondering about printing out a list to be able to jump around? How do others handle this and what do you do when they call out a song that not on the list? Thanks for your help. Not sure this is the right place, but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

Loving this. Sooo cool. And wow, speaker drive is a whole new world I'm just now getting into. TYVM.

Some bugs I've found, hope this helps this beta out:
  • Effect selections in AE/FC are off by 2 effect types (see example in first screenshot), most likely due to the newly added blocks. Example, in my screenshot this should be Filter 1 for TAP and Filter 1 +1 for hold. Probably AE bug.
Also had to reset some FC switches, for example - I had a switch set to turn Filter 1 on and off - after the update, that switch was turning my amp block on and off.

Quick and easy fix but something people should just check out after updating.

? did i miss something? Dynamic Distortion is part of the speaker distortion? I did not get from the notes that DD is related to speaker distortion.
I am speculating that dynamic distortion was developed for the new speaker drive algo and then it was also released as a stand-alone block - but this is pure speculation on my part.

Many moons ago I had a Fender Cyber Twin & IIRC the instructions said the speakers needed about 2 hours of "elevated volume" playing to properly break them in. The amp sounded pretty darn good regardless.

I also have the FC bug. Is anyone else getting noticeably more bass frequencies? My main sound with a Friedman HBE on the left and Diezel on the right has a lot more low end. It just means I need to adjust my PEQ blocks.

The sound surprised me when I started playing. It's a quite noticeable difference in sound than previously. Wish I would've done a before/after recording but the changes are usual subtle. I very much liked the old sound, so I'm getting used to the new one. Like I said, I still need to tweak the EQ to my liking. Overall, things sound more authentic and less produced to me.

Many moons ago I had a Fender Cyber Twin & IIRC the instructions said the speakers needed about 2 hours of "elevated volume" playing to properly break them in. The amp sounded pretty darn good regardless.
I had one of those!

Pretty cool actually, though the different models sounded more similar than they should have IMO, and the effects were pretty limited.

Never had them side by side, but I'm way happier with the Axe III :)

I also have the FC bug. Is anyone else getting noticeably more bass frequencies? My main sound with a Friedman HBE on the left and Diezel on the right has a lot more low end. It just means I need to adjust my PEQ blocks.

The sound surprised me when I started playing. It's a quite noticeable difference in sound than previously. Wish I would've done a before/after recording but the changes are usual subtle. I very much liked the old sound, so I'm getting used to the new one. Like I said, I still need to tweak the EQ to my liking. Overall, things sound more authentic and less produced to me.
There were no changes to the modeling aside from the Speaker Drive. If you had Speaker Drive at 0 then the sound would be identical.

Dynamic Distortion. yes! loving it! especially cool that it's got its dedicated block and is not tucked away somewhere else. a Mix control would be need though (yeah, I know, parallel and all that, but still ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom