Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.05

Ok, so my computer is finally up and running and I got 2.05 loaded.

Had a little time to play around a bit with the Cab block Align page.

Of course, all the IRs I've played with are MPT but they fairly well in alignment.

But I haven't really heard anyone talk about how you align them.

I tried aligning the biggest peak at the beginning of the wave, but sometimes felt like the low end developed an odd, "wooly" resonant character.

I tried aligning various other "common" peaks, too.

I also played a bit with intentionally misaligning the IRs, which produced some pleasing results.

So... I know it's all about ears, but are there some recommended strategies for aligning them for best results?

Ok, so my computer is finally up and running and I got 2.05 loaded.

Had a little time to play around a bit with the Cab block Align page.

Of course, all the IRs I've played with are MPT but they fairly well in alignment.

But I haven't really heard anyone talk about how you align them.

I tried aligning the biggest peak at the beginning of the wave, but sometimes felt like the low end developed an odd, "wooly" resonant character.

I tried aligning various other "common" peaks, too.

I also played a bit with intentionally misaligning the IRs, which produced some pleasing results.

So... I know it's all about ears, but are there some recommended strategies for aligning them for best results?
Aligning the first big peak is the normal thing to do... But if you get good results otherwise, why not ? please your ears first

Love the floor reflection modeling! At Fridays gig I was really digging the improved sound/feel thru my IEMs!
2.05 should have been 3.00 for that alone!

Just a question, so not specifically related to 2.05 release, bit I did not know where else to put it.
Question: I just read that the Midi 2.0 spec has been agreed upon and now various suppliers will start testing. I wonder, what are the plans for the Axe FX-3? Would it be possible at all to upgrade to Midi 2.0 and if so, is Fractal Audio planning to do that sometime in the future? Current spec is from the eighties and rather limited. It would be great to get an upgrade here.
Thx.

Just a question, so not specifically related to 2.05 release, bit I did not know where else to put it.
Question: I just read that the Midi 2.0 spec has been agreed upon and now various suppliers will start testing. I wonder, what are the plans for the Axe FX-3? Would it be possible at all to upgrade to Midi 2.0 and if so, is Fractal Audio planning to do that sometime in the future? Current spec is from the eighties and rather limited. It would be great to get an upgrade here.
Thx.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/midi-2-0.146548/unread

The analog compressor is fantastic. With lower ratio settings (1.5) you get that compressor-is-enabled feeling but still it sounds alive and open and in-your-face. So easy to find the right balance. Thank you!
LOL. Added to my 'list of things to try'. I have this list that is like 50 or so things I've read here where I think "I gotta try that" and then when I fire up the AxeFx I end up playing for hours and using up all my preset experimentation time on just surfing all the tones I already have at my finger tips.

Just wanted to give this FW an appreciation post. The improvements in the Cab Block are fantastic! I really dig the floor reflections and how tweakable the “room” is. I used to spend a ton of time joyfully tweaking, but now it’s absurdly easy to dial in a great tone and just play. To the entire Fractal crew, thank you for your hard work and dedication.

LOL. Added to my 'list of things to try'. I have this list that is like 50 or so things I've read here where I think "I gotta try that" and then when I fire up the AxeFx I end up playing for hours and using up all my preset experimentation time on just surfing all the tones I already have at my finger tips.

So put it in the first row of things to try.
I used the analog comp today in the rehearse in my clean preset and it was unbelievable, way beyond my expectations. I will keep it in that preset.

Just wanted to give this FW an appreciation post. The improvements in the Cab Block are fantastic! I really dig the floor reflections and how tweakable the “room” is. I used to spend a ton of time joyfully tweaking, but now it’s absurdly easy to dial in a great tone and just play. To the entire Fractal crew, thank you for your hard work and dedication.

I just grabbed by accident the Dirty Shirley Preset 061 and started to play. Went to the cab block and noticed that two cabinets were being used split left and right. I then checked the alignment between the cabs and they were offset from each other. Quickly realigned the cabs and it is like clouds parted and the sun came out after a rain storm. OK.... that's just a bit hyperbolic but not by much. Really brilliant addition along with the other goodies in the firmware. Fractal for life.

quick question, as I can't find the 2.05 beta version thread (gone?) and I think the info was there : a threshold parameter was added to all compressor types, and prior to this, what was be the default threshold level ?

I didn't have time to go through all of the pages in this thread to see if this is normal behavior, or if it has been reported, but I noticed that the graphic in the alignment page of the cab lock doesn't seem to work with Normal-Res IRs?

Last edited:
Regarding the new Align feature, I have an OwnHammer IR and a Celestion IR that I can't align, would it be possible in a later firmware release to increase distance (delay)Align.jpg

Back
Top Bottom